First Elk Hunt in CO units 7, 8, 9, 19, & 191

bjsully

FNG
So we (two brothers and my brother in law) were able to draw the either sex archery tags in CO (units 7, 8, 9, 19, & 191) for our first western elk hunt. Right now we are targeting the western side of unit 7 bordering the forest lands.

As a baseline for our current level of understanding: we are all Midwest and Eastern hunters with plenty of camping experience. I have been though the elk101 course, the Colorado Parks course, and watched the Randy Newberg digital scouting videos.

Given all that, we are comfortable with the desk jockey scouting trips we are taking on a regular basis but as that is no substitute for boots on the ground I was hoping for some insight from anyone that has hunted there recently.

We are camping on the east side of the unit and plan on hiking in.

Ideally, what I would love to know is:

1) is any one unit better than the other?
2) in unit 7, is the south western side more productive than the north western side?
3) Any information on your experience that you think may be invaluable is appreciated.

Last edited:
It depends what type of hunt/experience you're looking for. If scenery is really important then expect to do a lot of hiking and elevation gain/loss. It'll be cool as shit, you'll get into elk but your going to gas out sooner and expect a brutal packout.. If scenery is not as important then there's a lot of lesser traveled single track forest service service roads where you can tag out 100 yrds off the road.

It depends what type of hunt/experience you're looking for. If scenery is really important then expect to do a lot of hiking and elevation gain/loss. It'll be cool as shit, you'll get into elk but your going to gas out sooner and expect a brutal packout.. If scenery is not as important then there's a lot of lesser traveled single track forest service service roads where you can tag out 100 yrds off the road.

Topo Trekker is spot on. If you packed in a ways and then set up camp, it would not be so hard on your body.

OP
B

bjsully

FNG
All things considered, I would rather suffer and earn it then tag out a 100 yards off the road. I may not feel that way on day 6 but from the comfort of my desk I will stand by that decision.

cnelk

WKR
All things considered, I would rather suffer and earn it then tag out a 100 yards off the road. I may not feel that way on day 6 but from the comfort of my desk I will stand by that decision.

Sounds like you've made up your mind on how you''re gonna hunt elk.
Let us know how it works out for you.

On the other hand, its a pretty good idea to let the elk dictate how, where, when you will hunt.
At least thats how many successful elk hunters do it

Nothing wrong with wanting to work for it.

Unit 7 and 19 are equal as far as total success. Both stand at 13%.

As for Archery:

Unit 7- 5%
Unit 8- 13%
Unit 19- 10%
Unit 191- 0%
Unit 9- Mostly private 16%

Unit 7 is more scenic. Unit 8 and 19 are not as scenic but they offer better access.

I'll throw in the disclaimer: make sure you guys are in great shape.

You got to be one lucky SOB to shoot anything 100yrds off the road, I was just making the point that it's not that great for day hunting. Most people who are successful in that unit either already know where the elk are or are committed to more of a backpacking style hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Yep.........getting the "whole experience". I like it. I hunt elk on my terms, and if they don't want to play.....I move on until I find one that does. Good luck.

Bar

Banned
100yds off a road doesn't mean the hunt will be easy. You might have to hike 5 miles to get to the road. It also might be straight up from the road, or straight down which is worse.

You want hard? Do a triathalon. If you want an elk? Hunt where they're at.

CMack376

FNG
So we (two brothers and my brother in law) were able to draw the either sex archery tags in CO (units 7, 8, 9, 19, & 191) for our first western elk hunt. Right now we are targeting the western side of unit 7 bordering the forest lands.

As a baseline for our current level of understanding: we are all Midwest and Eastern hunters with plenty of camping experience. I have been though the elk101 course, the Colorado Parks course, and watched the Randy Newberg digital scouting videos.

Given all that, we are comfortable with the desk jockey scouting trips we are taking on a regular basis but as that is no substitute for boots on the ground I was hoping for some insight from anyone that has hunted there recently.

We are camping on the east side of the unit and plan on hiking in.

Ideally, what I would love to know is:

1) is any one unit better than the other?
2) in unit 7, is the south western side more productive than the north western side?
3) Any information on your experience that you think may be invaluable is appreciated.

Im curious to hear how your hunt went. Im looking at this area this year. if your willing to share some info please PM me. Thanks in advance.

CMack376

FNG
Sounds like you've made up your mind on how you''re gonna hunt elk.
Let us know how it works out for you.

On the other hand, its a pretty good idea to let the elk dictate how, where, when you will hunt.
At least thats how many successful elk hunters do it
Seems like you are a pretty accomplished elk hunter and know a lot about your craft. im wondering if you would be willing to share some knowledge with a newbie. No specifics per say, just strategies.

cnelk

WKR
Seems like you are a pretty accomplished elk hunter and know a lot about your craft. im wondering if you would be willing to share some knowledge with a newbie. No specifics per say, just strategies.

Sorry. I dont have that kind of time to write 'strategies' down.

But, there are a couple things you can do.

1) Watch YouTube/ listen to podcasts - Seems like everyone is getting their info from them these days

OR

2) Purchase my buddy's book - 'Public Land Elk Hunting' by Matthew Dworak - https://www.amazon.com/Public-Land-Hunting-Black-White/dp/1492176990

#2 is much better IMO

CMack376

FNG
Sorry. I dont have that kind of time to write 'strategies' down.

But, there are a couple things you can do.

1) Watch YouTube/ listen to podcasts - Seems like everyone is getting their info from them these days

OR

2) Purchase my buddy's book - 'Public Land Elk Hunting' by Matthew Dworak - https://www.amazon.com/Public-Land-Hunting-Black-White/dp/1492176990

#2 is much better IMO
Thanks, didnt have intentions on wasting anyones time.I thought that was the purpose of the forum. But i am a newbie. Ill check out the book.