First Elk Hunt in Utah - Advice needed

My friends and I are planning our first ever elk hunt this season. It will be an archery OTC elk hunt in Utah. We are from Texas, and would have liked to do Colorado. However, Colorado's archery season interferes with our college classes. I've purchased a goHUNT insider account and have narrowed it down to 3 units:

1. Utah North Slope, Summit/West Daggett
2. Utah South Slope, Bonanza/Vernal/Yellowstone
3. San Rafael, North

Does anyone have any experience with any of these particular units? Does anyone have experience with Utah OTC archery in general? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Season is early elk are close to silent. South slope has more elk and more hunting pressure also lots of private land but plenty of public. North slope has less elk in general but plenty of country to feel like your all alone out there. Both have less pressure early (after opening weekend) and during the week. I live near your other choice and I don't even hunt there. Limited nomadic elk population there.

General season archery elk in Utah is tough and even harder in the few any bull units. Spike units are better managed for elk numbers but you have to be happy with a opportunity at a spike or cow.

OP
Salami_Slinger
Season is early elk are close to silent. South slope has more elk and more hunting pressure also lots of private land but plenty of public. North slope has less elk in general but plenty of country to feel like your all alone out there. Both have less pressure early (after opening weekend) and during the week. I live near your other choice and I don't even hunt there. Limited nomadic elk population there.

General season archery elk in Utah is tough and even harder in the few any bull units. Spike units are better managed for elk numbers but you have to be happy with a opportunity at a spike or cow.

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

So it seems like we need to decide if we want more elk or less hunting pressure. I think we will go with the unit with more elk. I would consider the entire hunt a success if we even see elk. We plan on scouting 2 days prior to opening day. I guess if the elk are silent then we will be behind glass mostly, which is fine with me.

Will the elk mostly be bedded down and out of sight once the temperatures hit the 80s midday?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is some hard core country in the south slope that's tough to access and steep that cause very few SOB's to venture there. ( I personally fall into that category myself ) They gate a bunch of the secondary roads off so get the travel map from the forest service.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I live in southslope and you need to be up early and on top of areas where the elk are or you won't see them as they disappear into the dark timber or hiding holes. Both north and south slope hold elk but lots of country for them to hide in. Buy base map or onx or similar that shows boundaries so you don't end up on private or reservation land

id450

WKR
Thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

So it seems like we need to decide if we want more elk or less hunting pressure. I think we will go with the unit with more elk. I would consider the entire hunt a success if we even see elk. We plan on scouting 2 days prior to opening day. I guess if the elk are silent then we will be behind glass mostly, which is fine with me.

Will the elk mostly be bedded down and out of sight once the temperatures hit the 80s midday?

Yes, for sure. but elk have to drink , so plan ahead..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the risk of sounding like “that guy” who is trying to protect “his” spot I will say that No. 1 on your list is getting a fair amount of pressure these days. I have been there the past six years on invite to a friends hunting area - he’s been hunting it for over 15 years. I have seen hunter numbers and early season pressure increase noticeably. He is starting to look for somewhere else to go due to the number of people. He may stay closer to his Vernal spots because there seems to be less pressure. Overall it may still be less relative to your No. 2, I couldn’t say, but don’t bet on being all alone even 8 or 9 miles from the road on the North side.

Best of luck and enjoy your trip!

JaredJ

WKR
Sound like your in for an adventure. I have hunted the Uintas now for a couple years, there is a lot of country. If you are looking to hunt the north slope a couple things to keep in mind. There is water everywhere, horses can get stuck in the downed timber along with bogs, early the elk seem to be high. Have a plan if you shoot one it will likely be a long way out. I have had to hunt hard to find elk and still feel like i can't find them very well. I don't say this to be discouraging but so you can be prepared. I love hunting there however many I have hunted with quit because it was a bigger adventure than they wanted. Good luck I hope the best for you guys.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I would consider the entire hunt a success if we even see elk.

I would steer you to a spike unit instead. You'll see plenty of elk! Just be respectful of the guys who are hunting bulls on LE tags, as they have waited a long time for their opportunity. Hunt earlier in the season and sit water. Spikes stay with the cows.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mattjwags

FNG
My friends and I are planning our first ever elk hunt this season. It will be an archery OTC elk hunt in Utah. We are from Texas, and would have liked to do Colorado. However, Colorado's archery season interferes with our college classes. I've purchased a goHUNT insider account and have narrowed it down to 3 units:

1. Utah North Slope, Summit/West Daggett
2. Utah South Slope, Bonanza/Vernal/Yellowstone
3. San Rafael, North

Does anyone have any experience with any of these particular units? Does anyone have experience with Utah OTC archery in general? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

I have some experience in the North and south slope. Ive been scouting all summer and have my trail cams up. I'll be heading up there this Friday to be ready for Saturday. Hit me up and maybe I can share some info with you boys or even meet up. Mattjwags@hotmail

OP
Salami_Slinger
I have some experience in the North and south slope. Ive been scouting all summer and have my trail cams up. I'll be heading up there this Friday to be ready for Saturday. Hit me up and maybe I can share some info with you boys or even meet up. Mattjwags@hotmail

Matt, I PMed you and would love to share info and even possibly meet up.

We decided on our unit, we will hunt the South Slope. Around the Moon Lake / Swift Creek area. Is anyone familiar with this area? My plan is to find glassing spots, and to sit water sources. Any advice is appreciated guys, thanks

I'd be curious too. I've hunted the South Slope during Rifle, tons of pressure during rifle. I would expect much less during archery though but if I had a do-over I would check out the North slope. I'm not too concerned though as I'm going to Montana this year but still curious.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted South Slope archery this year. Tons of pressure - and horses. May go back but only when retired and have time to make multiple hunts.

I'd be curious too. I've hunted the South Slope during Rifle, tons of pressure during rifle. I would expect much less during archery though but if I had a do-over I would check out the North slope. I'm not too concerned though as I'm going to Montana this year but still curious.

North Slope is just as bad if not worse.