First Elk Hunt NV

I’ll be hunting Elk in 075 NV in November and am looking for recommendations on many things but I’ll try to keep it brief. I’m a new Elk hunter so let’s keep that in mind.

I’ll be shooting my Tikka .270wsm and feel comfortable at 300-400 yards currently. I’ll be practicing more until the hunt. What ammo and grain would you recommend?

Camo Color? Brand? I have some old gear but again it’s old. It doesn’t help that I’m colorblind either so I can’t compare Camo print to the actual woods. It’s a pisser. This will be for north East NV. $300 budget

Rain Gear Brand? Let’s stay under $200 please.
Pack? Nothing too fancy, my wife doesn’t appreciate all my backpacks as it is. 😬
Boots?
Thank you very much for any and all help. This should be a great hunt that my Dad is joining me on. Cheers Gents!

Last edited:

Calbuck

WKR
You don’t need to go out and buy any super duper camo or fancy rain gear. Keep it simple and just be sure you have appropriate gear for the weather. If you have a pack already, use it. Did you buy a landowner tag already? Curious if that’s how you know you’re hunting? Best thing you can do is make sure you have good comfortable BROKE IN boots. Make sure your feet are happy! If you can get out and scout your area, do so as much as possible. Any good 140-150 grain bullet out of your 270 wsm should be good for those ranges.

OP
PasoHunter
You don’t need to go out and buy any super duper camo or fancy rain gear. Keep it simple and just be sure you have appropriate gear for the weather. If you have a pack already, use it. Did you buy a landowner tag already? Curious if that’s how you know you’re hunting? Best thing you can do is make sure you have good comfortable BROKE IN boots. Make sure your feet are happy! If you can get out and scout your area, do so as much as possible. Any good 140-150 grain bullet out of your 270 wsm should be good for those ranges.
Many thanks for the reply!
I’d definitely like to save some money if I can so I’ll be shopping Camo a bit more. I want durable but it doesn’t need to be guide quality.

I know a guide with a voucher for the area.

The boots will be well broken in prior to the hunt. I’d like to get some now so I can begin breaking them in. Good call!

Scouting will be tough at 12 hours away. But I plan to arrive a few days early and will be accompanied by a guide.

The 150-170 grain stuff looks pretty nice! Lots of time for shooting and research.

Thanks again!!

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
For boots, you want something that fits your feet well. Crispi, Lowa, Kennetrek and a lot of other brands make good boots. Find good boots with good ankle support that fit your feet well. That may mean ordering a pair or two and returning the ones that don't work. If you are going to break the bank for something, get good boots! Also, quality socks can make or break a hunt.

If you are rifle hunting, I would not sweat camo. I would spend money on boots and optics before camo clothing. Solid colors work fine and often you can get quality gear cheaper if it is not camo from companies like marmot, Arteryx and Outdoor Research. I like my Marmot Precip rain jacket in slate grey. Check out camofire.com for deals on good merino and hunting gear. Use layers, and I mix and match different companies for different pieces that I like.

Good luck and have fun!

Mwoody

WKR
Congratulations. I've pulled bulls out 072 and 071. Steep country so be in shape. That's 1st priority! On your buget I would spend all my money on boots and then a pack and trecking poles. Dont worry about camo pattern just DONT wear cotton. Anything synthetic or merino wool will do but like I said my biggest expense would be boots and then a pack. You need boots with good ankle support! Lots of good boot brands but you need ones that fit your feet and they need to be broken in. I wear Hoffman boots. Crispi lowa and kenetrek are all good boots depending on foot shape. You can get good used boots here on rokslide. It's a good way to try boots and if they dont work you can sell them on here and not loose to much money. I cant stress enough how important boots are in that country. Next would be a good pack. You will be absolutely miserable packing a bull out of there with a shitty pack kifaru 1st choice then stone glacier or exo. They are pricey but worth every penny. If you absolutely cant get one of those 3 packs. Then I would go frame pack like the alps commander. They can be bought for around $125. Dont forget trecking poles for the steep country. Feel free to pm me with questions. Good luck!

It can be way colder than you'd expect up there that time of year. The terrain is so varied, I wouldn't stress camo pattern too much, most of them work ok.

OP
PasoHunter
For boots, you want something that fits your feet well. Crispi, Lowa, Kennetrek and a lot of other brands make good boots. Find good boots with good ankle support that fit your feet well. That may mean ordering a pair or two and returning the ones that don't work. If you are going to break the bank for something, get good boots! Also, quality socks can make or break a hunt.

If you are rifle hunting, I would not sweat camo. I would spend money on boots and optics before camo clothing. Solid colors work fine and often you can get quality gear cheaper if it is not camo from companies like marmot, Arteryx and Outdoor Research. I like my Marmot Precip rain jacket in slate grey. Check out camofire.com for deals on good merino and hunting gear. Use layers, and I mix and match different companies for different pieces that I like.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the help! It sounds like some great advice. I’ll get my priorities realigned.

OP
PasoHunter
Congratulations. I've pulled bulls out 072 and 071. Steep country so be in shape. That's 1st priority! On your buget I would spend all my money on boots and then a pack and trecking poles. Dont worry about camo pattern just DONT wear cotton. Anything synthetic or merino wool will do but like I said my biggest expense would be boots and then a pack. You need boots with good ankle support! Lots of good boot brands but you need ones that fit your feet and they need to be broken in. I wear Hoffman boots. Crispi lowa and kenetrek are all good boots depending on foot shape. You can get good used boots here on rokslide. It's a good way to try boots and if they dont work you can sell them on here and not loose to much money. I cant stress enough how important boots are in that country. Next would be a good pack. You will be absolutely miserable packing a bull out of there with a shitty pack kifaru 1st choice then stone glacier or exo. They are pricey but worth every penny. If you absolutely cant get one of those 3 packs. Then I would go frame pack like the alps commander. They can be bought for around $125. Dont forget trecking poles for the steep country. Feel free to pm me with questions. Good luck!
Thanks a ton for all that info!! Boots. So I have a pair of snow boot Sorel’s. They keep my feet very warm but I’m not sure they would be good for that terrain. I looked at the 10” Hoffman Hunter 800 gr thinsulate and they seem nice for $400ish. I guess it depends on how deep the snow is if any.

Off to check I out some packs!

Mwoody

WKR
Thanks a ton for all that info!! Boots. So I have a pair of snow boot Sorel’s. They keep my feet very warm but I’m not sure they would be good for that terrain. I looked at the 10” Hoffman Hunter 800 gr thinsulate and they seem nice for $400ish. I guess it depends on how deep the snow is if any.

Off to check I out some packs!
I personally wouldnt use sorels for that hunt. I would want some ankle support.

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
Get a good pair of gaiters and that will help a lot of you run into snow. OR makes some pretty good gaiters, but so do a whole lot of other companies. Also, think about how much insulation you want in your boots. I prefer uninsulated boots because I figure I can always put on heavier socks, but if you are moving a lot with 800 grams of insulation, your feet may be sweating and uncomfortable.

ckrhtr

FNG
If you are truly hunting in 075 the ground is really not all that difficult, there are some steeper areas but it is not like 072. If you are going to be with a guide then he will probably have the high end glass covered which to me is an absolute must. For your own glass having the ability to mount binos to a tripod is really helpful. I have seen temps well below zero that time of year so keep that in mind. Snow, be prepared to deal with some it could be a little or it could be a lot, lately it has been not so much but that could change. Make sure that you have a range finder and you know your holds, critters in the desert sometimes look a lot closer than they are. For camo I like more grays and tans than dark browns and greens, think sagebrush, and dry grasses.... Kuiu Vias is what I use. I don't own rain gear and live within 10 miles of the unit so interpret that as you may. Boots, I use stiff tall boots for all my hunting but I spend 30 days chasing chukars in addition to all the big game hunting, so that guides my decision. Your sorrels will keep your feet warm but lack stability, take them just in case your feet get cold. Buy a good set of gaiters and a good pair of semi stiff boots that fit your feet, insulation is up to you but I wear boots that are 0-200 gr. For a pack I like a bag in the 1800-2500 range with a lightweight frame and belt designed to take weight off of shoulders and transfer it to the hips. The frame needs to be designed so that it is easy to secure quarters and compatible with heavy loads.