First Elk Hunt Question- Archery Colorado

fatlander

WKR
They changed those units to draw a few years ago, and there have been leftover tags after the draw for those units.

Why did they change them? Are they trying to create trophy opportunity or did the OTC tags hurt the population to the point it needed a cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Why did they change them? Are they trying to create trophy opportunity or did the OTC tags hurt the population to the point it needed a cap?

They assumed that all the archery hunters pushed the elk onto private property, so by the rifle seasons it was too difficult to manage the populations as they were already on the private. That was the reasoning they gave.

I think you should go OTC for your first couple years. You learn the ropes and will gain a ton of experience. Once you have that first trips under your belt, start looking for a draw unit that takes a couple points. By then, you will have a better handle on hunting elk and where they will be. That's just my opinion but that's the route I would go. Good luck this fall!

I highly suggest trying to spend a day or more at or near your altitude of hunt to acclimate.

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
They changed those units to draw a few years ago, and there have been leftover tags after the draw for those units.

This. They've been a pretty easy to draw archery units for a while now, not OTC. Even 2nd choice in 55 has decent odds.

I'm considering the same units for this year as a backup to New Mexico. Not to hijack but does anyone know where to find the number of tags allotted in CO units in 2019?

thibodaux

FNG
Some info for ya, get in shape, and when you think your in shape run a 6 min mile, do heavy squats every other day. The west is no place for sissies. Elk are where you find them, and don't try and do it all in one day. Have a plan for when and if you get a elk on the ground, that is when the work begins. Enjoy every part of the trip, and be safe..
HA. you said WHEN... I like how you didn't say IF

BHakeneis

FNG
Good luck! My buddy and I are planning the same kind of trip for 2020. Be the first Elk hunt for us both. What are some of the ways you guys came up with what units to hunt?

Nerhunter

FNG
I'd deer hunt a high country unit you can draw with zero points first and scout the unit , it should be the same unit where it takes 1 point to draw for elk. Learn the unit deer hunting and come back for elk in the future. Deer are much easier to kill and then get to the truck then an elk. Elk look real sexxy but newbies rarely kill one, learn the country, your gear, etc. Come back the following year and get after the elk, you'll know where they are. All of this will be easier if you hunt at treeline and above.

woodson

FNG
I'd deer hunt a high country unit you can draw with zero points first and scout the unit , it should be the same unit where it takes 1 point to draw for elk. Learn the unit deer hunting and come back for elk in the future. Deer are much easier to kill and then get to the truck then an elk. Elk look real sexxy but newbies rarely kill one, learn the country, your gear, etc. Come back the following year and get after the elk, you'll know where they are. All of this will be easier if you hunt at treeline and above.

Best advice in this thread!

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice Nerhunter, I did a archery spike camp hunt exactly like that in 2017. I didn’t get a deer, but I saw 33 elk including 3 bulls and a mountain lion. I know where they are now.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice Nerhunter, I did a archery spike camp hunt exactly like that in 2017. I didn’t get a deer, but I saw 33 elk including 3 bulls and a mountain lion. I know where they are now.

You saw them because you only had a deer tag in your pocket. If you have an elk tag in hand they will be nowhere to be found.