First Elk Hunt Recap

Hunted Colorado 2nd season OTC elk. Never been outside of NC hunting, total elevation change here is 6-10 ft. Went with brother in law with plans to truck camp and possibly spike camp if we saw enough sign. Scouted 2 days before opener. Saw 1 cow, some sign but nothing really fresh. Hunted opening day, glassed most of the morning and afternoon and no new sign or sightings, lots of gunshots. Day 2 started snowing so we planned to switch tactics and just starting walking from dark timber to dark timber, skirting the edges looking for tracks. Less than a mile from the camp we cut a fresh track in an going from open aspen over a small ridge into dark timber. Follow those tracks for 50 yards or so and realize the tracks are heading down a small finger ridge, that has an opening across one side and the bottom. Bro in law split off to watch the opening in case i spooked him off the ridge (he was already spooked, but not far ahead.) We find a fresh bed, at least 5ft across, and still warm to the touch. Follow down that ridge, across the opening at the narrowest spot, up another ridge, 2 loops on his own trail. Decide to split up again as we come to the next patch of dark timber. I go around the high side and see 3 spruce about 15 yards into the opening and figured i would slip out to them and watch the treeline. I step into the field and look left and right and there he is. No quicker than I see him and raise my gun hes gone. 30 yards. Less than a second. at least a 5x5. Gone. Cow called was our signal to other hunter to come to me. He sees the tracks and dirt thrown up from the running elk, and we start following again. 3.2 miles past 5 other hunters who never shot and we finally gave up. He went down a cliff that we couldnt follow. Covered a lot of ground the following 5 days but never saw another elk (on public).

Things I learned
1. Don't underestimate weather, woke up on day 3 and all our water in the truck was froze solid and truck wouldn't start it was so cold.
2. Have a backup plan with easy road access, the last 2 days with snow and ice on the backroads, we struggled with access from lower elevationin terrible road conditions
3. All Dark timber is not the same, some patches have blowdown and undergrowth, some look like a park. Lots of mule deer sign in open undergrowth, ELK sign non-existant.
4. You can get away from people even on public land
5. Don't obsess over gear choices, the difficult part is finding elk
6. If what you are doing is not working, switch it up. Elk are all different and they move.
7. Inreach is worth the expense, but man its tough when your little girl texts you and asks when youre coming home.

Things I will do different
1. Have a wall tent and stove if hunting 2nd season. First 2 nights were good, next 2 were not unbearable, but tough.
2. Scout the timber preseason. The 2 days of scouting we tried to glass and view things from a distance to not blow out an area. On public land it already blown out. We essentially wasted those 2 days not finding fresh sign.
3. Develop a plan for splitting up and what to do if... For 2 newbies we just planned to stick together for safety sake, but once we found sign there was definite benefit to being able to split up and cover more area. We stayed mostly within sight/sound of each other.
4. Keep Walking, even though we covered 4-10 miles a day, some times it felt like it wasnt covering enough
5. Be where they want to be opening morning, not glassing where they want to be. With all the movement and shooting opening morning, be in a spot where others will push elk to.

Oh and I will be back in 2021!!!

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up of a common and solid experience for western hunters.
I would add to your "Do Differently" list
- have walkie talkies for when splitting up - We use 'em and great if partner spots one or a herd and can tell which direction they're moving etc.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for taking the time to do the write up of your hunt. My first elk hunt was this past season, hunted CO 3rd and was fortunate enough to get a bull on Nov 2nd. We certainly learned a ton, and should have had at least two bulls down during the week.

I'm hooked for sure, and might get back next September with a bow, but definitely in 2021 with a rifle again!

OP
charlieyca
Great write up of a common and solid experience for western hunters.
I would add to your "Do Differently" list
- have walkie talkies for when splitting up - We use 'em and great if partner spots one or a herd and can tell which direction they're moving etc.
We had them, but range was like 20ft and batteries last like 30 mins in cold (slight exaggeration). The cow call actually worked pretty good as communication, since we werent actually trying to call during 2nd season, and it wouldnt spook anything

OP
charlieyca
Thanks for taking the time to do the write up of your hunt. My first elk hunt was this past season, hunted CO 3rd and was fortunate enough to get a bull on Nov 2nd. We certainly learned a ton, and should have had at least two bulls down during the week.

I'm hooked for sure, and might get back next September with a bow, but definitely in 2021 with a rifle again!
We spoke with 2 different game wardens and one shared a 1st season tag in the unit we were in that regularly has leftovers, so that is our plan in 2021. What kept you from getting the 2nd bull?

OP
charlieyca

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
We spoke with 2 different game wardens and one shared a 1st season tag in the unit we were in that regularly has leftovers, so that is our plan in 2021. What kept you from getting the 2nd bull?

My brother and his buddy were hunting the dark timber and really into the elk. My brother spotted a bull about 40 yards, and right away saw it was legal. He went to take a step for a better shot but his buddy said "wait", so he hesitated and didn't shoot and the elk was gone! Well, his friend didn't have the same view and could not see the antlers and why he said wait. Short story, they didn't talk for the rest of the afternoon, haha, but they are best friends and got over it.

We did use two way radios as well, but Inreaches would be great. We definitely should have bought leftover cow tags to, but jesus, not sure how we would have gotten all the meat back. Driving there next time with a small trailer.

Good luck on the next trip!

OP
charlieyca
OUTSTANDING!! That’s a cool first experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can close my eyes and see that elk, never forget it! He was only halfway out the woods and the tops of his antlers were still going back into the trees.

We had them for safety only. My only fear was he or I heading back to camp and the other be out looking for them wondering where they were. What rules/guidelines do you use when hunting with someone? how long til you go looking for them and vice versa

We don’t really split up but archery hunting staying together makes more sense.

I think if we went rifle we would just use the Garmin InReach’s for safety/general comm.

OP
charlieyca
We only had one inreach, after the first time being separated at dark, we just said if we cant find each other, look for 30 mins then meet back at camp.

OP
charlieyca
Day 7 was lots of riding and seeing this...
and we turned around and started heading east

Day 6, we moved south and lower elevation. Tons of old mule deer sign, but no elk sign. Lots of oakbrush along a migration route, but no elk sign

Day 5
Moved to an area with 3 fingers ridges fairly close together and similar elevation/habitat to where we jumped our elk. most of it looked like this, few tracks, no sightings.
Day 4
Needed a shower after 2 days scouting and 3 days hunting so we checked out a burn nearby. Zero sign besides the one camp having elk quarters hanging in the woods.
Walked the edge of the burn and some timber, this gives you an idea the slope of the area
and some unidentified scat (boot for size reference)

Day 3 Lots and lots of walking the far side of the drainage where we lost our tracks of the elk we saw.

Day 2
Cut a track early
followed elk tracks to this bed, looks open in the picture but was surrounded by blowdown
and he disappeared down into this

OP
charlieyca
One more lesson....
once you start tracking an elk, dont forget to slow down, drink water. We got excited and ended up sweaty and stinking for the walk back.
If you tracked one elk and lost it, be mindful of more tracks, we cut his same tracks from where he doubled back, got excited again and then saw our own footprints about 50 ft away.