First Elk Hunt Success

jek5224

FNG
My buddy and I connected on a nice 5 x 4 last week on our first ever elk hunt. Huge thanks to this community for some invaluable knowledge.

What I learned:

1. Next time I am getting a mule deer tag. We saw 53 deer before seeing any elk, not counting the ones seen while driving.

2. Roadhunters are not impossible to hunt around. We killed this bull on a steep slope less than 500 yards from a 4-wheeler trail. Wake up early and get in the woods before anyone else.

3. Packing out an elk is no joke.

4. Colorado weather is unpredictable.

5. Tire chains are crucial for the area we were in. We had at least two on at all times; sometimes four.

6. It is impossible to have too many coolers, if you have the truck space.

7. I will never hunt without binoculars again.

Thanks to everyone in this community that helped an East-Coaster connect. I am now hooked for life.

Elk.jpg

My buddy and I connected on a nice 5 x 4 last week on our first ever elk hunt. Huge thanks to this community for some invaluable knowledge.

What I learned:

1. Next time I am getting a mule deer tag. We saw 53 deer before seeing any elk, not counting the ones seen while driving.

2. Roadhunters are not impossible to hunt around. We killed this bull on a steep slope less than 500 yards from a 4-wheeler trail. Wake up early and get in the woods before anyone else.

3. Packing out an elk is no joke.

4. Colorado weather is unpredictable.

5. Tire chains are crucial for the area we were in. We had at least two on at all times; sometimes four.

6. It is impossible to have too many coolers, if you have the truck space.

7. I will never hunt without binoculars again.

Thanks to everyone in this community that helped an East-Coaster connect. I am now hooked for life.

View attachment 129915

Change "Co weather" to "Wy weather" and it pretty much sums up my experience this year.

If you're looking for some good binos, I use the Maven C.1 10x42 and could not be happier. My buddies hunt with various other brands, and in that price point, the Mavens hands down the best I've seen.

OP
jek5224

jek5224

FNG
I used a pair of Nikon 8x42 this year. I liked them a lot and thought they were great for the price point, but I will likely upgrade to the Maven 10x42. From everything that I have read, they seem too good to be true.

cciliske

FNG
Congrats. We ate tag soup on the first year but definitely hooked.

Hunting in the mountains in snow is tough - congrats on getting that done.