First Elk Hunt/Terrain Opinions

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone! I have received so much help and advice from fellow Rokslide members since I have become a member and wanted to say thank you first and foremost! With that being said, I am going on my first elk hunt the 18th-27th of September this year and I had a few general questions. The area my hunting partner and I have been planning on hunting for some time now is be more of a "high desert" looking/arid/minimal vegetation environment in NW Colorado. As we get closer, the angst is setting in an I am second-guessing myself and the decision I have made to hunt this OTC unit. As a first-time elk hunter, should I focus on the area I have been planning to hunt this whole time or should I maybe shift gears toward an area that is more "prototypical" alpine looking that most people associate with elk? If you were in my shoes with basically zero experience chasing elk, what would you think would be more conducive to your success?

I appreciate the input and responses!

tjihrig

FNG
Regardless of where you go, have a bunch of plans. If you’ve not been there before it may look way different on the ground. Have different plans in different units around the state even. One thing I screwed up early on was putting all my eggs in one basket. I use to say “I hunted this area 7 days and didn’t see anything”. Now, if I’m not in really fresh sign I bail out and head to plan B, C, and D.... set a limit with your partner- if we don’t see X by this time, we’re headed to the next spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RB1
Elk can be found in both terrains, but if I had to bank on one or the other, it would be the alpine terrain.

For your best odds, have multiple places to investigate.

use the terrain to your advantage. open country elk gives you some advantages and some challenges to overcome. figure out those advantages, and its advantage hunter 🏹🏹🏹

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the feedback! We have what we feel like are a couple nice spots scouted in our original area. I’m thinking we will start there and if by X day we haven’t seen, heard, or found any sign we will probably load up and switch units. I’m not gonna lie, it’s very intimidating and the closer we get the more I get inside my head with all of our decisions.

SonnyDay

WKR
If you are going OTC, you have many, many choices. Plan in detail 3 or 4 spots (and as it sounds like you are planning for, consider different OTC GMUs).

If you are not seeing fresh sign, head to the next spot.

Try your intended spot first since you have invested a bunch of time into it.

And most of all, have fun! Time in the woods/sagebrush holding your gun and sneaking around trying to find a critter to shoot is about as good as it gets. Keep notes on what you learn, and adapt as needed.

Good luck!

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going OTC, you have many, many choices. Plan in detail 3 or 4 spots (and as it sounds like you are planning for, consider different OTC GMUs).

If you are not seeing fresh sign, head to the next spot.

Try your intended spot first since you have invested a bunch of time into it.

And most of all, have fun! Time in the woods/sagebrush holding your gun and sneaking around trying to find a critter to shoot is about as good as it gets. Keep notes on what you learn, and adapt as needed.

Good luck!
Absolutely! I go back and forth but at the end of the day this will be the trip of a lifetime for him and I so we are going to make the most of it! I’ve never backpack hunted either, so that will be an awesome new experience in its own right. I have to start gaining experience and learning somewhere, so whatever happens, so be it!