First Elk Hunt Tips and Advice

Melberg94

FNG
So this Next Elk Season I will be going on my first Elk hunt (hopefully) in the 401 area of Montana. The sweet grass hills look amazing and have a cow tag that I am hoping to get my hands on. Looking to do a bit of a Q and A for any new Elk hunters that have limited spot and stalk experience. Also looking for any information on the 401 zone, Need to know and otherwise. Any and all info helps!

OP
Melberg94

Melberg94

FNG
Was looking at the sweet grass hills area on Public land. No private locked down as of now. Still very young and learning.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Get a pair of good binoculars. Some will recommend HD spotting scope, but I've found 8x or 10x work just fine. Also, download OnX map app for Montana. It will tell you where private and public land is and who owns the private in case you want to try to contact them to get crossing permission. I lived in Montana for 16 years and it's rough hunting.

WCB

WKR
My first tip would be to look at a different area with more elk and more public land. If you hunt for a day or two and the elk aren't there you have a bit of a drive to get to a new place.

This isn’t a commercial bud. But hit up the Elk 101 site. Sign up and learn. That’s just my opinion. 9 out of 10 of us are going to fail next year. Your 1st hunt will kick you in the nuts. But if you’re like most of us that will just make you want to do it again!!! Hahah good luck man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CB4
OP
Melberg94

Melberg94

FNG
Defiantly looking forward to the challenge. I have OnX for Minnesota. Will have to look into getting it for montana. If you pay the $30 per year it should include Montana right? As far as Glass goes what is a decent one to get. Like vortex but only have a small pair for hunting my deer stand in northern minnesota, Never looking more than 200 yrds really.

The area you applied for is big and wide open. Your going to need 10x minimum for binos, and a spotting scope too. Get BLM maps and head out there this spring or summer to get a feel for the country

Hunting where there is a lot of private land is dicey. Even if you find tracts of public the private is a refuge. Nothing is worse than being on elkless land and looking at herds smiling at you from the other side of a barbed wire fence!

If I was new to hunting Montana, which I will be in 2 years Lord willing, I'd be buying Indian Summers scouting package asap and get ready for elk country ;)

OP
Melberg94

Melberg94

FNG
10x Minimum Binos I can do. Thoughts on the spotting scope? Also the rifle. I am currently considering the Browning Hells canyons SPEED in 30.06 with a vortex 4-12 on it. Out side of that a big concern of mine is calling. Do it or dont do it with cow elk? also when and how if you do need to?

Beckjhong

WKR
This was my rookie year in WY. Filled 4/4 tags. Spend your money and time on knowledge, not a gear list. Hike uneven and steep terrain with weight on your back. Use trekking poles (Costco, $20). Spend your money on boots (new) and pack (used). In fact, buy as much used gear as you can to save $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westy35

FNG
I just found out I'm moving to Bozeman last week, so I am right there with you! I'm stoked to be a Montana resident and just starting to think about learning the country. Good luck, and I'm listening too!

10 power binos are a good choice regardless of where you are hunting. Don’t buy a spotting scope. You’re not to the point where you need to know if a bull goes 290 or 330. Binos will tell you if your looking at a bull or cow and that’s good enough for now. Also spotters are a huge investment. Don’t buy a cheapie! I guarantee you’d eventually decide it’s not worth carrying and it’ll end up collecting dust or for sale. A beautiful f benefit of a spotting scope is is saves you time and footsteps. But first you need to settle into a hunting area. If it’s not at least semi open you’ll have no use for one. I hunted Montana for 30 years. Never needed one. When I hunt my Wyoming spot a carry a big 20-60x80 and use it every day. My area has lots of openings AND the elk use them during shooting light. I had some spot with meadows up in Montana but elk wouldn’t be in them until after dark. The other thing is I’m looking for 6 point bulls only. So have several reasons to justify buying and carrying a tool like that. Hold off until you have hunted and then decide.

As far as a scope... elk country is big. So is my scope. I like to zoom way in.... aim small miss small. In my opinion 12 power isn’t enough. And unless you’ll be sneaking around in the timber which is NOT my preferred method, you’ll never need as low as 4 power. Again... you need to know where and how you’ll be hunting. Spot and stalk means further shots that still hunting through the timber where shots are shirt and quick. And of course if you’ll be doing some homework to prepare for long shots out past 500 yards. I have a 6.5-20 power Leupold scope. It’s for sale. I’ve been reloading and practicing so I’m ready to go to further shots and want a higher magnification.

Last edited:
OP
Melberg94

Melberg94

FNG
Amazing info guys thank you. Will definitely be getting a pair of 10 x 42 binos to start before heading out to scout. The patch of land im hunting (hopefully) is about 7000 acres owned by the BLM so lots of land to cover. With that in mind i will also look into the 6.5 - 20 and see what i can do. The range by home goes out to 400. My current comfort zone is about 200 so practice rounds here i come! Excited to start this journey!

OP
Melberg94

Melberg94

FNG
What would a guy want to consider as far as a round for a 30-06? looking at Federal Big game rounds but not for any real reason other than it shows an elk on the box lol. It is meant for Large game but don't know if it is actually a good round or if there is a much more preferred one. As far as gear goes im all for the buy once cry once method. Boots and glass will not be cheap. That said I would still like to save $$$ so any tips on when and where to pick up good stuff for good prices please let me know! (PM if you are selling any!!)

OP
Melberg94

Melberg94

FNG
One other thought for you. As a new Elk hunter should I call? If so what call and any good tips or tricks that youtube might not be able to teach me?

Westy35

FNG
Here’s another perspective on scope magnification. Increased magnification can only be had with heavier scopes. Cutting ounces and pounds from your pack is an important consideration, because no matter how good of shape I’m in, I always wish I had more energy at the end of a ay or elk hunting. Most guys I know who kill a lot of elk with a rifle do so with compact, lightweight scopes. I can very consistently make shots out past 400 with an 8 or 10x top end - you do not need a lot of magnification for elk. If you need more magnification to identify an animal, use a spotting scope. Most elk are killed under 200 yards. Are some killed at long range? Absolutely, but I’m my experience, that’s the exception. I know I don’t feel confident enough shooting at a living animal so far out as to need 20x magnification, so it’s just extra weight for me. You don’t need to see their eyelashes to know which animal to shoot at and accurately place a shot. Others are capable of that. If you can’t get within 300 yards of an elk to shoot at, I would encourage you to think about other areas of your hunting skill set to focus on to get to that point. I primarily bowhunt, and we very routinely get inside 100 yards of elk, even in open country. Closing that to 30 yards for a good shot is the hard part, but we still usually end up with elk in the freezer.

With respect to calls, if you’re hunting during normal rifle season, probably all that would be useful is a basic diaphragm call. You could check out Phelps, Primos, or Rocky Mountain. Elk typically aren’t rutting during rifle season (so bugling doesn’t do much), but they mew and chirp to communicate all year. Cow calls are effective to get an animal to stop, and you can call in cows with a call pretty much year round in the right situation. Bulls are hit or miss. Mostly during rifle season though, you’ll be trying to find them in the open first thing in the morning or right before dark as they transition from bedding and feeding areas. No calls necessary.