First elk hunt

Doing my first elk hunt to Colorado this year. I will be doing a 4th rifle hunt. Any suggestions on gear to hunt with?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jmav58

WKR
Well what do you have so far? Hard to recommend gear not knowing what you already have. Also, there are about 50 gear threads in the mule deer section and the elk section. Search function under forums can help steer you correctly.

My 4th season set us is as follows:

Sleep System
Davis 14 by 16 wall tent.
Cot
Stove/Propane heater
-33 degree sleeping bag

Vehicle System
4 by 4 truck
Chains
Jack
Come along
Shovel

Clothing System
Boots - everyone’s foot is different
Kuiu Yukon Gaiters
Kuiu 145 zip off base layer bottoms
Kuiu Down zip off pants
Sitka Timberline Pants
Sitka merino shirt - I bring two
Sitka Jetstream Vest or Sitka Heavyweight Hoody
Kifaru LPP
Sitka Jetstream Jacket
Kuiu Chugach rain gear or Kuiu Yukon rain gear
Kuiu Guide gloves
Kuiu Northstar gloves
Sitka Merino beanie
Sitka logo beanie

Other thoughts
Can be some long nights as it gets dark early due to daylight savings and days getting shorter. I bring a battery powered radio to keep me company as I have always been alone. Also an Inreach if I don’t have cell coverage. I don’t bring a bladder because of the hose freezing up. Make sure you have a way to keep some water from not freezing or have a way to heat it up quickly.

Good luck!

Silverado

FNG
A sled makes a pack out alot easier if you have a little snow, which usually isn't a problem in 4th. Foam pad and puffy pants for sitting in snow while glassing. Good warm waterproof boots. Check out the OR gaiters, definitely a must for walking through the snow. Trekking poles to help keep your balance walking through snow covered rocks. Several pairs of socks so you can rotate them and keep your feet dry, does alot for keeping my feet warm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
Tire chains came up for a reason. Know how to deploy them, and have spare tensioners and a bag to store them in. Bring all vehicle extrication gear and a couple shovels.

jc91

FNG
Bring way less gear than you think you need. Only bring essentials. If you aren’t backpacking, then look up basic day hike pack lists and do it similar. If you are doing a backpack hunt, look up ultralight backpacking pack lists and copy, but get a good pack like Kifaru. My 5 day backpack hunts I’m at 30 lbs with rifle, food, camp, backpack, everything, just to give you a goal. Good luck

CAH

FNG
Bring way less gear than you think you need. Only bring essentials. If you aren’t backpacking, then look up basic day hike pack lists and do it similar. If you are doing a backpack hunt, look up ultralight backpacking pack lists and copy, but get a good pack like Kifaru. My 5 day backpack hunts I’m at 30 lbs with rifle, food, camp, backpack, everything, just to give you a goal. Good luck

Could you post a list of that? Seems like you are dialed in! I would like to see some of the things you bring for your sleep system and food!

jc91

FNG
Unfortunately I’m out of the country right now, but when I get back I can post more details. Sleep system consists of a cuben fiber tarp from zpacks, a therm-a-rest foam pad (cheapest one is actually one of the lightest. ~40$ I think?), and a feathered friends down bag. Trekking poles hold up the tarp, stakes and minimal cordage for the tarp and you are good to go. I live in a high mosquito area and quickly realized that packing a 4 oz tarp vs 3 lb tent (or more if you go along with these rediculous companies) is worth the weight savings. Additionally, no condensation to deal with.

Food I’m running a pocket rocket 2, mountain laurel 800ml pot, and smallest iso fuel container. Boiling water to rehydrate home made dehydrated meals. Food is a big place where people get heavy. Go on lots of backpacking trips before hunting season and figure out the absolute minimum you need per day. Then I will normally give myself an extra days worth of that amount just to be safe on long hunts (5+ days). Short hunts you can just leave extra food at the truck.

Do you guys wear gaiters all year?

No. Western states, like Colorado, are generally dry enough that unless there is snow on the ground gaiters are not necessary. However, in a state like Alaska with a wetter climate it might be appropriate to wear them year round.

zpotter

FNG
I assume those that dont wear gaiters pack some for rainy weather? Or do you just depend on rain gear at that point?

Kstitz

FNG
The nice think about gaiters is they keep your paints from getting muddy also.