First Elk Hunt

If you had one state to choose from to go on your first elk hunting trip where would you go? Not looking for a trophy just looking for a good learning experience that can be forgiving for a greenhorn like me.

Probably a pretty generalized question but I’m not looking for specific units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Having hunted several states now I would suggest Utah. Why Utah?

1. Least expensive hunt for a nonresident.
2. 15000 Tags available OTC. No points needed. Purchase online. Tags went on sale today (16 July) but don't waste too much time thinking about it cause they will probably sell out within a month.
3. Elevations not as severe as Colorado.
4. I feel like it's a sleeper state. Better than residents would admit.
5. Plenty of Public land.
6. Rut is generally still on when hunt starts.
7. Choose between the "Any bull" hunt or the Spike bull hunt. With the Anybull hunt you don't have to count horns. If it has horns and is an Elk you're good to go. If you choose the spike bull hunt you can hunt the premium Units where the truely big boys live. You can't take the big boys but you can take a spike or cow Elk during the spike hunt. Where Else in the west can you get a OTC cow or spike hunt in the premium units with no points?
8. As pretty a state as any you will find.
9. On the "Any Bull" hunt you can choose any one of about 20 units but you are not limited to just one unit, you can hunt all of them if you like!
10. You can use a rifle in the Anybull hunt and have up to 12 days to hunt. Same with the Spike bull hunt.
11. If you are an archer, there is also a Archery season and no limit to the number of entries.

Last edited:

Dberg

FNG
I went to Idaho last year for my first elk hunt and had a great experience seen a lot of elk and our group was successful

If you had one state to choose from to go on your first elk hunting trip where would you go? Not looking for a trophy just looking for a good learning experience that can be forgiving for a greenhorn like me.

Probably a pretty generalized question but I’m not looking for specific units.

If you have the dinaro, consider a unit wide landowner tag in NM.

johnw

FNG
Hard to go wrong with Colorado, I started basically throwing a dart at a map and went from there. Biggest thing is to just start and dont put it off until next year.

I would also suggest Montana if you can afford it. Although others have said otherwise, I believe that the odds of drawing the deer and elk combo in Montana this year was right around 79% with 0 preference points. If you can afford it, I would highly suggest it because you can hunt for both archery and rifle season and if you don't fill a tag by then, you can partake in the shoulder season which goes until February. So essentially you can hunt from September-February, which makes the $1000 well worth it in my opinion...

Im in the same boat and after considering all options, I chose Idaho archery for a cow tag, mostly because I can do it mid august before most people are out and I can use wescout4u to do the scouting for me before I get there.
I know thats sacrilegious on this forum, but its my first elk hunt and I look at it as paying 1k for a virtual mentor, more than "cheating".

Im in the same boat and after considering all options, I chose Idaho archery for a cow tag, mostly because I can do it mid august before most people are out and I can use wescout4u to do the scouting for me before I get there.
I know thats sacrilegious on this forum, but its my first elk hunt and I look at it as paying 1k for a virtual mentor, more than "cheating".

I don't know that it's cheating but it's sure a lot of money. Some guides for another 500 will set up a drop camp for you. Seems like that would be a better deal. Mid August would be a tough time to hunt though as you would be unlikely to call any elk in by bugling.