First elk hunt

Tc1993

FNG
So I just returned from Colorado where I spent a week in unit 25 and 34 and never laid eyes on an elk. I was hunting around 10,000-10,800 feet elevation. I was archery hunting but muzzleloader was in that week and it was also a full moon. My question is, what’s your opinion on why I didn’t even see any elk? Too low in elevation, pressure from muzzleloader hunters, or full moon? Thanks in advance

rob86jeep

WKR
Did you hear any bugles and did you see any elk sign (tracks, poop, rubs, etc.)? It's hard to say why you didn't see anything without more details about the terrain and how you were hunting/looking for them.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I’m new to the game myself, but the number one reason I think a first timer doesn’t see any elk is not enough distance traveled.

I was fortunate enough to see elk my first trip out, but I only saw them one time opening morning. I got stuck in a rut thinking I would eventually see them again in that area that I didn’t keep trying to cover more ground looking for them.

I hiked a lot of miles that trip, but most of them were repetitive. I believe, unless you are literally in a place there is literally no elk in, if you cover enough ground you will see elk eventually.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to mention, I hunted muzzleloader that first time, in unit 44, and they were a lot lower than I thought. Which added to why I didn’t see them, because I was expecting them higher and going lower meant going even further than I wanted at the time.

OP
T

Tc1993

FNG
Did you hear any bugles and did you see any elk sign (tracks, poop, rubs, etc.)? It's hard to say why you didn't see anything without more details about the terrain and how you were hunting/looking for them.

I heard maybe 6 or 7 bugles the whole week, but they were all very distant sounding and always just one solo bugle with no reply. All the poop looked old and I did find one fresh rub at the very top of the mountain I was hunting but I’m not sure it wasn’t a Muley that made it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tc1993

FNG
I’m new to the game myself, but the number one reason I think a first timer doesn’t see any elk is not enough distance traveled.

I was fortunate enough to see elk my first trip out, but I only saw them one time opening morning. I got stuck in a rut thinking I would eventually see them again in that area that I didn’t keep trying to cover more ground looking for them.

I hiked a lot of miles that trip, but most of them were repetitive. I believe, unless you are literally in a place there is literally no elk in, if you cover enough ground you will see elk eventually.

That very well could be the culprit. I tried two separate units but in each one I pretty much stayed in my area. There were a lot of other hunters/atv riders in the area so I was trying to avoid them as much as possible

Very well could have been pressure. However, not seeing any fresh sign seems that they may not have been in the area for some time. The hearing bugles thing can be tricky because you don't know for sure whether it is other hunters or actual elk. you can try to determine on a topo map if where you heard them seems like a likely place for hunters or not. Then move in if you think it's elk. One week in two different units may not be enough time to find them either. When you find an area that has good numbers of elk you will know it. Sometimes it's more looking than hunting.

hobbes

WKR
25 and 34 get hammered, no different than all OTC units. From my experience there the ATV traffic turned the area that I tried years ago into a zoo. Standard easily accessible OTC stuff.

OP
T

Tc1993

FNG
Very well could have been pressure. However, not seeing any fresh sign seems that they may not have been in the area for some time. The hearing bugles thing can be tricky because you don't know for sure whether it is other hunters or actual elk. you can try to determine on a topo map if where you heard them seems like a likely place for hunters or not. Then move in if you think it's elk. One week in two different units may not be enough time to find them either. When you find an area that has good numbers of elk you will know it. Sometimes it's more looking than hunting.

I hunted both units but they were fairly close in proximity, both along the same road. It was all the vacation time I had so I had to make due lol. I will definitely be heading out next year for at least 2 weeks because I agree with you, I didn’t feel like I gave myself enough time to give it a fair shake. Thanks for your feedback

OP
T

Tc1993

FNG
25 and 34 get hammered, no different than all OTC units. From my experience there the ATV traffic turned the area that I tried years ago into a zoo. Standard easily accessible OTC stuff.

Yessir, I need to do a better job of e-scouting next year, I thought as far back as I was driving I wouldn’t have to deal with as much pressure, but I was mistaken. They’re were tons of atvs tearing up and down the road. Tough lesson to learn the hard way but that’s how it goes I guess.

rob86jeep

WKR
I don't have much experience but I would say to keep hiking until you start seeing fresh sign. There's no sense in hunting a small area hard if there's no elk there. If you only have a week and didn't have a chance to scout before hand, maybe spend the first day or two putting in a lot of miles hiking until you find some fresh sign then slow down and hunt it hard. Elk can move around a lot once the season starts and they get pressured.

So I just returned from Colorado where I spent a week in unit 25 and 34 and never laid eyes on an elk. I was hunting around 10,000-10,800 feet elevation. I was archery hunting but muzzleloader was in that week and it was also a full moon. My question is, what’s your opinion on why I didn’t even see any elk? Too low in elevation, pressure from muzzleloader hunters, or full moon? Thanks in advance
Did you see any deer back there? I have kicked around those areas a little bit over the years and run across elk. Feel free to PM me and maybe we can swap stories.

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
Herd size, tag numbers, number of days hunted, and hunter success can give you a lot of information. Calving grounds, winter range, and migration routes also can be helpful. ML season is when the bulls come out of the high country to where the cows are. Cows and calves need places with good feed, water, and isolation. Hiking trails are great to get you in the backcountry but the elk are usually in the next canyon where they get less pressure. This all leads to places I call "Forbidden Ground". These are the places that are difficult to get to where the elk feel safe. Search YouTube for "Forbidden Ground" and you will see what I am talking about.

Hey_Bear

FNG
That full moon was brutal, we experienced the same thing in BC. One or two late morning bugles and that was it, not really enough to go on.

Only thing you can do is maximize your time in the field, get in the dark timber with them and hope one comes in quiet. Our rut was also pounded with cold and rain which made it less enjoyable.

A full moon has always hampered my hunts. Cover more ground and go where no one else wants to because that is where the elk want to go too. I have found elk in very low elevation when I didn’t think they should be there at all. Elk do weird things when they are pressured by other hunters. Go where no one else wants to go even if you think it might be too low of an elevation.

We were in unit 25 sept 16th-20th last year. Park ranger said the herd was declining and folks that hunt there every year said numbers have been down drastically. 2019 saw only a 4% success rate amongst archery

OP
T

Tc1993

FNG
I don't have much experience but I would say to keep hiking until you start seeing fresh sign. There's no sense in hunting a small area hard if there's no elk there. If you only have a week and didn't have a chance to scout before hand, maybe spend the first day or two putting in a lot of miles hiking until you find some fresh sign then slow down and hunt it hard. Elk can move around a lot once the season starts and they get pressured.
I did see a few muleys. I actually saw a really nice buck hiking up coyote mountain one morning. I don’t guess I can PM on here yet, I can’t figure out how anyways