First elk hunt

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Puttin on my big girl panties and have decided to go on my first elk hunt. In case that wasn't enough of a hurdle, I will be solo and it will be happening the second week of November in Colorado. DBAP, right? Woman to woman, what are some things you ladies took away from your elk hunts? Solo or not, I wanna hear them.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Sounds fun! Be ready for 70 degrees or -5 degrees. Depending on where you go keep an eye on the roads. Some are impassible when wet, unless you have 4 chained tires and still they’re a mess. If you get into trouble, wait until the roads freeze at night and then they’re passable until they thaw again. Not a woman, but what’s the plan for getting meat off a mountain if you’re solo?

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds fun! Be ready for 70 degrees or -5 degrees. Depending on where you go keep an eye on the roads. Some are impassible when wet, unless you have 4 chained tires and still they’re a mess. If you get into trouble, wait until the roads freeze at night and then they’re passable until they thaw again. Not a woman, but what’s the plan for getting meat off a mountain if you’re solo?
Thank you for the info! As of right now my plan for meat extraction is slow and steady. I've been living on google earth measuring distances from the pickup to my camp spot to most likely areas to get an elk killed and have even looked and found a few closer pull outs to park in in case i need to go move the pickup a little closer. My biggest help will be that i know a few folks close by that i will be letting them know a few days prior that i will be in the area and will set up a potential group of friends that i could call if things get to be to much. Thats my idea anyways, we shall see if she takes a nose dive or if she holds steady.

Some of my woman to woman take aways are that elk hunting is so addictive, once you start it will consume your thoughts and free time! Women can most certainly do an unguided elk hunt backpacking in- just like the guys. However, in my experience I don't think I could honestly break down an elk by myself. If I absolutely had to maybe i could, but it would be extremely difficult. So maybe consider having one of your friends available if you get something down.. Second, keep an eye out for predators...during a calling sequence where my husband was about 150 yards away, a mature mountain lion wondered inside of 13 yards to me. So a pistol in the pack or tent does no good in those cases. Good luck! And update us on how your hunt goes.

I am all for being a strong female hunter…but this season I had to go on a lot of solo hunts while my husband stayed with the kids. I drew too good of an elk tag to sit at home. I was feeling fairly confident and always sent my husband an onX location. Then one hunt I slipped on a rock and fell pretty hard backwards. I was ok just sore (the gun had to be resighted in 😑) but my husband made me realize that I could’ve hit my head and no one would’ve known for quite some time. So when in doubt I say hunt with a buddy if you can, irregardless of your gender.

Hey all, I know this is an older thread but I am in the hills in the Front Range and usually do the archery season although sometimes the OTC and rifle. If any other females want to buddy up next year pm me and we can hunt together. Maybe we could make a camp - I live up where I hunt so usually I am just hunting out of my cabin but going backwoods for a week or two would be fun as well. I also hunt Lion and Bear besides Deer and Elk so I am an opportunist. I tend to hunt tradbow but I am happy to accompany a gun hunter if its muzzy or later in the rifle seasons - if its rifle though I will still probably be with my bow so I'll be stalking closer than you will need to with your weapon. Its all about wind and not being too noisy.
Cheers!