First Elk Hunt

pdun24

FNG
I'm like you in the fact that youtube has really pushed me over the edge of getting serious about elk hunting. I think Randy Newberg has some pretty good info out there on his channel. I think 2021 is gonna be my year to actually go. Even heard about this site on youtube and made an account. Have learned a lot (mostly about gear) here in the last few days.

rayporter

WKR
yes the itch is there and it is driving me nuts--------they're coming to take me away ha ha he he

the youth do not remember that one, and probably never heard it.

hell, i would go in a heart beat just to be there if i could.
the rattle of the quakies
the whisper of the pines
a distant bugle
dark clouds and a snow squall
sunset
sheep on the far mountain
the fire
an eagle soaring over
blisters

Gapmaster

WKR
yes the itch is there and it is driving me nuts--------they're coming to take me away ha ha he he

the youth do not remember that one, and probably never heard it.

hell, i would go in a heart beat just to be there if i could.
the rattle of the quakies
the whisper of the pines
a distant bugle
dark clouds and a snow squall
sunset
sheep on the far mountain
the fire
an eagle soaring over
blisters
That’s why we go and keep going back. I carried my old man every year I could even when he couldn’t pull the hills anymore. He would just sit and smell and listen to the mountains and watch quakies and smile. 😁

Had to laugh on the last part!! The blisters!! Ain’t that the truth friend!!

cmc934

FNG
Get a bear tag. Lots of carnivores in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNMatt

FNG
Good luck Bloatmar, my wife & I are leaving in about a month to do our 1st hunt together!

Sounds like you have the right focus and been putting in the time.

Enjoy the experience as much as the hunt itself!

R/
Matt

Great attitude. There's no adventure like elk hunting and especially being in the woods in September. You're making a great first step. There are a lot of people (even on here) who talk about getting out into the elk woods only to overthink it and miss out on the fall and "are planning next year." One year in the woods, no matter how long or how "successful" is a wealth of knowledge that only puts you in a better spot next year. Have a great trip.

Good luck Bloatmar, my wife & I are leaving in about a month to do our 1st hunt together!

Sounds like you have the right focus and been putting in the time.

Enjoy the experience as much as the hunt itself!

R/
Matt

I hunted Wyoming elk last year with my wife and it was so fun. Its really cool that you can both get out there. Makes it even more awesome when you hear about a lot of guys complaining that their wives get mad when they leave. You've got a keeper!

Mattg1720

FNG
Totally true 805! My wife is super supportive and keeps pushing me to get out and do my first elk hunt this September with a buddy from work! She is a keeper!

LeftSlope

FNG
Being nervous is a good thing about your upcoming hunt. Let that motivate you to prep for your hunt every day. The most valuable thing you can bring with you on your hunt is your fitness. Some days will be great, other days will be tough, but make a point to enjoy every second of it. As a resident of Colorado I only ask a few things; be respectful of the area's you hunt and make an effort to leave it better than you found it. Give other hunters/ people a reason to say you were a gracious visitor. Good luck on your hunt and take notes on what you would change/ do different for the next year. Be safe and hunt hard!

I am going on my first Elk hunt in Montana. I’m going 1 November to 14 November. It’s a later season hunt but that’s when my vacation worked out. I’m hunting with my wife’s cousin for my first hunt. REALLY getting excited!!!

OP
bloatmar

bloatmar

FNG
Glad to hear all this positive feedback! Now that I got some traction I’m going to be in unit.... and where are the honey holes?! I kid I kid. Gotta start somewhere and for all the other new people don’t be scared to call the forest service rangers they offer great advice

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Good Morning All,

First post on here so be nice. My story long time hunter here in the great State of Texas! Have hunted whitetail, Turkey, dove the usual Texas game, my whole life currently just hit the big 30. Got hooked on elk hunting watching the Hushin channel on YouTube then found Cory Jacobsen and some other great channels. However it appears most on this site don’t care for their content from what I have read. However they got me hooked and I am grateful for that. I will be heading out to CO in mid September for some Archery elk hunting OTC. I have been putting in miles on my boots, bugling as I drive for work and studying my unit on google earth and OnX. I feel rather prepared but still the nerves are on edge for the hunt for sure. My thoughts are if we have some encounters with Bulls that will be a successful trip and if we happen to fill a tag that will just be the cherry on top. Just wanted to say hello and good luck to everyone out there this season!

Awesome man! Glad you're taking the leap. The approach, you;re taking is perfect.

My tips after being a flatlander for the first 25 years of my life:

1. OnX is great, use it. But be prepared that what you think you see on the TOPO map can be a shocking change to the terrain you see in person.

2. Be patient and don't get discouraged.

3. Don't overpack your bag with useless gear and clothing.

Enjoy!

OP
bloatmar

bloatmar

FNG
Recap of the Hunt
Wow what a blessing we have being able to get out in such beautiful country. Going to be a long post.
The first morning of the hunt we got out later than I would of liked but my hunting partner was really wanting a big breakfast that morning so we did it big. Finally we made it out of camp around 7AM and headed down the trail. Being our first time out in the elk woods we were heading to a north facing slope with heavy timber around 9300 elevation. Along the trail about two miles back we began to cow call on the trail and sure enough we immediately heard a bugle. In my head I’m thinking no way this is an elk right off the trail 2 hours into day one. I quickly bugle back and he immediately fires off we push forward about 40 yards and I bugle he responds closer this time so we begin to get set up. The thermals were in our favor. I’m the better caller so my hunting partner was first up. He sets up about 30 yards on front of me and I’m slightly behind a hill. I call and hear nothing for around a minute and then he responds and sounds like he is right in front of me. Then I hear the sounds of an arrow flying and I’m thinking holy crap 2 hours into this thing we have a bull down. I can not see anything that has happened due to the hill. I cow call in an attempt to calm the bull down and wait 5 minutes before heading up to see my buddy. He is all jacked up tells me the bull which was a 5x5 came trotting in a rope to my calls. Stopped 29 yards away and let out a bugle right before he stepped into a small opening and my buddy let one fly. We decided to snack and let it all settle down for 20 minutes before checking the spot where the bull stood. Arriving at the spot where he stood to our disappointment we saw the arrow broken next to a small brush pile. It appears that there was a lot of brush and his arrow caught several pieces and snapped his arrow. I can’t believe 2 hours into our first elk hunt we called in a bull and got a shot off! The rest of the day was quite on the trail but such an amazing way to start us off.
Day 2
We decided to go up higher in our unit around 10500 elevation. Got an earlier start but had no idea the 3 mile drive up the mountain would take so long. Arrived at our spot where we decided to hunt that day. It was a long ridge with heavy timber and some small meadows on the side I thought would be a great area. We bombed down the ridge and quickly lost some elevation that ridge was steep we saw some great sign and were quite this time hoping to spot some elk in the dark timber however we never came across any. After a few hours in the dark timber we headed back to the truck and ran into a hunter on the road he and his son had shot a bull that morning just down another ridge and I quickly asked do y’all need help packing it out. I just wanted to experience it all and he said that would be amazing. This man was inspiration he was 65 and he was just running around this mountain I couldn’t believe it. We made it down to his son which was in the process of quartering his first bull out a great 4x5. A few hours later we were all back at the truck enjoying a nice cold one. My goodness a hindquarter is not light. That was such an awesome experience and I would do it again. We ended that day alittle early we were exhausted and in 2 days had walked 24 miles so far.
Day 3
We decided we would get out early and we hit the trail by 5:45. We had scouted an area on OnX that was north facing had some aspen and heavy timber and what appeared to be a saddle between two ridges. Coming into the meadow/saddle around 9:00 we find a wallow that to my hunting knowledge was used that morning or night the water was all murky still. Then off in the timber we spook a spike and I quickly decided we were going to sit that wallow this evening. Also there were fresh rubs all over some small pines I knew this would be the spot. That’s the white tail hunter in me coming out. We arrive back to the wallow around 2 and set up about 50 yards away from the wallow. The thermals were swirling but not taking our scent up to where we thought the elk were coming from. 2:30 hours go by and all of a sudden we here the deep growl of what we immediately thought was a bear about to charge. There was fresh bear sign everywhere. However 3 cows and a calf come running into the wallow and I immediately knew a bull was right behind them. At this point my adrenaline is the highest it has been. A great 6x6 comes running down and I basically freeze my brain no longer worked I knew he was legal and had ranged the wallow to 47 yards. The lead cow was locked eyes with me and I hear the buzzing of an arrow through the air my buddy had a perfect broadside shot on the bull at 47 yards and nailed him this time. Appeared to be alittle high and alittle forward but a great shot! The bull takes off up the hillside and I cow call and he stops and looks back at us and bugles trying to gather his cows. I see the arrow still in the bulla and the blood pouring down the side of the bull. I then hear another bugle and I’m quickly confused. Another hunter had come into the meadow and saw the bull and went full draw and had no idea that the bull had already been shot. The bull then ran off and the blood trailing began. We talked to the hunters and they appeared to be very upset I think they thought we shot up the hill not knowing we shot him several minutes before they saw him. Idk but I did not like how they were talking to us they were extremely rude. We began to follow the blood trail and found great blood it was pink and bubbly I knew immediately it was lung blood and there was great blood trail to follow. We found his arrow about 200 yards on the trail with blood on it about 12 inches on the arrow. 200 yards later the blood was beginning to be less and less and it was getting late. We were 4 miles in and it was about 8:00 and were no longer finding any blood. The bull had just started to side hill and blood disappeared. We decided to back out and come back in the morning. One of the hardest decisions I have made.
Day 4
Arrived at last blood at 7:30 AM began to grid the hillside and 5 hours later we find no more blood and can not find the bull anywhere. We walked all over that hillside up, down, all over and nothing. Looked for birds maybe on the carcass listened for flys tried everything and to our disappointment we never found the bull. I without a doubt know that bull is dead and If those other hunters don’t bump him we would of packed meat out Day 3.
Final Thoughts
Wow what a great first time in the elk woods I mean we experienced a bull bugle in our face! We learned so much about thermals and still don’t quite think we have them figured out. Got a bull down somewhere and that is the hardest part. Leaving the mountain knowing that bull piled up somewhere on that mountain and was never getting up again.

What advice would anyone give in regards to that situation with the blood trailing and the hunters bumping him?

Attachments

• 17C901F1-64CE-4554-A171-533BEF5683E7.jpeg
    17C901F1-64CE-4554-A171-533BEF5683E7.jpeg
    621.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 0FC47C15-452C-4C8C-ADCF-2C210E3F860E.jpeg
    0FC47C15-452C-4C8C-ADCF-2C210E3F860E.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 4236EF97-300B-498E-A647-8C08EF83A45B.jpeg
    4236EF97-300B-498E-A647-8C08EF83A45B.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 16
  • F8FB4F3C-4204-4484-8B8D-5E5B01DFA987.jpeg
    F8FB4F3C-4204-4484-8B8D-5E5B01DFA987.jpeg