First Elk Hunt

Mlantz11

FNG
I am planning my first elk hunt with a couple of friends finally since we just graduated from college and have the time. We are planning to go to Montana since we are from eastern ND. Since we have no experience in grizzly country and are looking to avoid those areas but the issue we are having is finding a good resource on the areas that grizz tend to call home. Does anyone have a good map or another resource that would help point us in a direction? Thanks!

I can tell you that the map that is supposed to show where grizzlies are is worthless. Better off asking people right here. They are in the Bob Marshall. They are in the northwest corner. They’re anywhere close to Yellowstone and they’re definitely south of Bozeman. They’re not in the Bitteroots or the Crazy Mountains. Good luck!

Wapiti1

WKR
1615725941483.png

This is pretty accurate. Anything blue is a main bear area. The salmon/orange is total range.

They do wander farther, but aren't resident bears. My parents had a sow and cubs across the river from them a couple of years ago, and they live near Ulm south of Great Falls. She spent a week there, then went back home.
Just keep a clean camp, and follow bear country rules anywhere you camp in MT. Black bears are far more annoying that grizzlies, IMO, and a camp bear can be a PITA.

Jeremy