First elk hunt

Just wanted to point out your BDX rifle scope/rangefinder system is not legal to use in the state of Idaho. I think you can get around that by removing the battery from the scope but I would consult with somebody at IDFG.

Also haven’t seen it mentioned here but bulls should still be bugling come October 1. Might not be a bad idea to throw out some locator bugles.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Just wanted to point out your BDX rifle scope/rangefinder system is not legal to use in the state of Idaho. I think you can get around that by removing the battery from the scope but I would consult with somebody at IDFG.

Also haven’t seen it mentioned here but bulls should still be bugling come October 1. Might not be a bad idea to throw out some locator bugles.

Good luck

Yes I knew about the electronic part of the BDX combo was illegal for big game. I was planning on pulling the battery cuz I figured if an officer did show up he would prob think I'm full of crap if I told him I just didn't turn it on. The combo works great tho I will say that! And thanks for the tip on the bugling. I wasn't sure if they'd still be in the rut or talking. I've been practicing with the cow call and have just started with the bugling for the hell of it but I guess I better start practicing a little more serious with the bugle haha

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
T
Ok got another question for you guys. So I got out yesterday for the first time to do some scouting and I found my bull. I like the area cuz the trail isn't drivable anymore and it's kind of off the beaten path and there's no sign of human presence back there. So my question is is where do I go from here? I know they're gonna go move to the cows when the rut comes so do I continue to watch that area and is it possible that he will come back into the canyon behind it when he's done with the rut if that makes sense? I didn't get to see how big he was but I accidentally came up on him heading back in to go check the canyon and came across his crap that I honestly don't think can get any fresher. I could hear him meandering around but never got to see all of him because the wind kept shifting on me and wouldn't stay in my favor long enough so I figured rather than give him a wiff of me I would go ahead and come back again since it was getting late anyways. Anyways just wondering what all you experienced guys thoughts were.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Post rut, he may go back to that location, but the end of the rut will be something like the 10th or later. As others have noted, an early Oct tag is a tail end rut hunt, so you should start with where the cows are. The bulls won't be far from them even if the rut is more or less over. There should be bugling to help locate them as well.

This is a very different hunt than a late season post rut hunt where the bulls go high to find solitude and focus on food.

Jeremy

milljaco

FNG
That earlier hunt the bulls should still be in or around close to the cows. That’s a solid draw good luck and I hope you find a good one. I had a friend that drew the later hunt two years ago and shot a really nice bull in there