First Elk Rifle? Need Advice

I will be putting together a rifle in the next year (hopefully sooner), Ive shot a few of my buddies a handful of time but have been strictly bowhunting for the last 23 years.
Tags are getting harder to draw so want to open up my options and also some of the hunts i do would be much easier/enjoyable with a rifle. Also would allow the wife to do a few more hunts.
I want to be able to have enough power to put down an elk, probably would always shoot factory ammo so convince of buying that anywhere is something i was thinking about.

it would mainly be used on Mountain hunts so lightweight is key.

Budget would be around $2,000 for the gun. I like the Leupold VX5 scope so will probably go with that since I've used it and seemed simple.

Cartrage suggestions?
Can you get a custom gun for around $2,000?

You’re not gonna get custom for $2k. Closest to custom would be Christiansen in that price range. Could also go Savage ultralight (comes with a proof carbon wrapped barrel, at around 6 lbs)

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I'd keep an eye on ammo supply. The first thing 270+ you can get a few hundred rounds for Is what caliber I'd pick. Most available near me seems to be WSMs 28 nosler, weatherby mags etc. I'd buy a reasonably priced quality factory rifle, put a brake on it and get a can on order. I'd spend the rest on ammo and range time.

OP
B
I'd keep an eye on ammo supply. The first thing 270+ you can get a few hundred rounds for Is what caliber I'd pick. Most available near me seems to be WSMs 28 nosler, weatherby mags etc. I'd buy a reasonably priced quality factory rifle, put a brake on it and get a can on order. I'd spend the rest on ammo and range time.
Thanks, yeah just started looking into the gun thing,, seems like ammo will be very hard to come by

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
A custom will probably run around $2400 and up depending on gunsmith and parts. It might be close if you already have an action. I'd look at Fierce, Christensen, Cooper, Browning x-bolts (high end models). They are all in that 2k price range and are great rifles. As for chambering, I'd personally go with a .300 Win mag. It's perfect for elk and there's lots of ammo/bullet choices for it. .30-06 would be another great choice.

barrister

WKR
I really love my Bergara Premier Series rifle. I bought the Stalker model at the same time as I bought a Fierce Fury. Kept the Bergara. The Premier series is marketed in the same semi-custom quality as Fierce, Cooper , etc.

Lukej88

FNG
Since you're just getting started with a rifle, like the others have stated go with a caliber you can find ammo for now and into the future. Since you aren't handloading a 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag are all good choices, you will be able to find ammo for these in any corner of the world. All of these calibers will take down anything in North America and are versatile. I would also consider recoil, a brake can be installed to reduce recoil, but if you if the recoil is too much you won't want to shoot it.

I have a Savage 110 Ultralight, it doesn't have a Tikka smooth action, but it shoots lights-out accurate, and is my mountain rifle. Good luck with your search.

Since you're just getting started with a rifle, like the others have stated go with a caliber you can find ammo for now and into the future. Since you aren't handloading a 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag are all good choices, you will be able to find ammo for these in any corner of the world. All of these calibers will take down anything in North America and are versatile. I would also consider recoil, a brake can be installed to reduce recoil, but if you if the recoil is too much you won't want to shoot it.

I have a Savage 110 Ultralight, it doesn't have a Tikka smooth action, but it shoots lights-out accurate, and is my mountain rifle. Good luck with your search.
What caliber you shoot? I have a 6.5 PRC, but am wanting to trade it for a 300 wsm. Talked to an elk guide buddy of mine about the 6.5 for elk. His quote "I've killed a lot of wounded elk with a 26 nosler "🤣

Chambering's: 280 Remington or 280AI 140 gr. Accubonds or Partitions: 30-06 is a fantastic cartridge also. I've killed a lot of elk with each of these. 165 gr. Accubonds or Partitions:

Rifles: How about finding a used Winchester Model 70 controlled round feed or a Ruger MKII or Hawkeye if you cannot find one in the caliber you choose and rebarrel it for the cartridge that you want. Might also be able to find one of these in one of the calibers listed above and made touch it up if it's not what you really want. Maybe a new synthetic stock such as a B&C. I like both the Winchester and the Ruger actions. Both are excellent.

Lukej88

FNG
What caliber you shoot? I have a 6.5 PRC, but am wanting to trade it for a 300 wsm. Talked to an elk guide buddy of mine about the 6.5 for elk. His quote "I've killed a lot of wounded elk with a 26 nosler "🤣
I am running the 280AI. I gave the 6.5 PRC serious consideration, but ultimately went with the 280AI. I was concerned with the 6.5PRC not being enough to take an elk down if the shot wasn't perfect. I know the 6.5PRC can get the job done, but it was out of my comfort level, for the off chance things didn't go right. I downgraded from a 338 Win Mag, I was tired of the recoil. I handload and am running 160gr Partition with RL26 and the ballistics are great. I would have recommended many other calibers for the OP, but he wanted to stay with factory ammo.

I am thinking of selling my 6.5 CM and picking up a 6.5x284 Norma, I would consider a 6.5PRC as well, but finding components for them is extremely hard. It will be a mule deer rig for my daughter, but for now I'm going to have her start with the 6mm CM for her first antelope hunt this fall.

I am running the 280AI. I gave the 6.5 PRC serious consideration, but ultimately went with the 280AI. I was concerned with the 6.5PRC not being enough to take an elk down if the shot wasn't perfect. I know the 6.5PRC can get the job done, but it was out of my comfort level, for the off chance things didn't go right. I downgraded from a 338 Win Mag, I was tired of the recoil. I handload and am running 160gr Partition with RL26 and the ballistics are great. I would have recommended many other calibers for the OP, but he wanted to stay with factory ammo.

I am thinking of selling my 6.5 CM and picking up a 6.5x284 Norma, I would consider a 6.5PRC as well, but finding components for them is extremely hard. It will be a mule deer rig for my daughter, but for now I'm going to have her start with the 6mm CM for her first antelope hunt this fall.
I took my 300 wm elk hunting instead, but two shots two DRT whitetails. Gun is awesome, I am just trying to get back to two rifles. Trying....

Lukej88

FNG
I took my 300 wm elk hunting instead, but two shots two DRT whitetails. Gun is awesome, I am just trying to get back to two rifles. Trying....
What's the fun of two rifles? Just kidding! I have a number of rifles, it makes it hard to decide what I'm taking on a hunt, but I guess it's nice to have options.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
many calibers will kill elk.taking into account ass possible scenarios elk cartridges start at 30 caliber.

What's the fun of two rifles? Just kidding! I have a number of rifles, it makes it hard to decide what I'm taking on a hunt, but I guess it's nice to have options.
I have a Savage lightweight hunter in 6.5cm with a 2.5-10x56 Trijicon Accupoint that is a delight to spot & stalk with. The PRC is my favorite, but kinda in between the model 12 300 wm and the cm. So, thinking about dumping the PRC and wm and going with a wsm in the ultralight.