First Elk Rifle? Need Advice

Wassid82

WKR
You can kill elk with a 243 and larger caliber. However I agree that if you want a range of bullet options and ability to shot at multiple distances and scenarios start with a 30 cal bullet. at times I have spent way more than I needed on the rifle component. your glass option seems solid. I personally think most rifles these days shoot pretty well.....often time much better than the actual shooter. I've sold many guns over the year and tried all types of manufactures and calibers. I have found that I can spend 1k or so on a rifle and increase by optics budget and shoot consistently out to 700+ yards. That covers most hunting scenarios for me.....I hope you find what you want.....lots of options out there

Elkhntr08

WKR
Find a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather in 30-06, 7mm or 300 WM, mount the vx5hd on it and go practice and hunt anything in the lower 48.
You can get that all done for your $2k budget. You don’t need a fancy semi custom rifle to kill elk. Thumb through the rifle classified and look at all those rifles for sale. I away wondered why,

270 or 3006 would be my recommendation. Lots of other cartridges above and below that will work as well. Something lightweight like a Barrett Fieldcraft or Kimber Montana. All depends on what type of hunting you do. I do alot of backpack hunting with camp on my back so prefer a rifle as lightweight as possible.

jdw12885

FNG
I will be putting together a rifle in the next year (hopefully sooner), Ive shot a few of my buddies a handful of time but have been strictly bowhunting for the last 23 years.
Tags are getting harder to draw so want to open up my options and also some of the hunts i do would be much easier/enjoyable with a rifle. Also would allow the wife to do a few more hunts.
I want to be able to have enough power to put down an elk, probably would always shoot factory ammo so convince of buying that anywhere is something i was thinking about.

it would mainly be used on Mountain hunts so lightweight is key.

Budget would be around $2,000 for the gun. I like the Leupold VX5 scope so will probably go with that since I've used it and seemed simple.

Cartrage suggestions?
Can you get a custom gun for around $2,000?
7mm is a great all around caliber. Going to be tough building a custom rifle for that price!

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Bergara Premier series, I just got a Highlander and it is one sweet rifle

Sako finnlight in .30-06. or maybe a browning xbolt pro in .30-06.

Or get a Tikka, have a new barrel put on and look for a used McMillan or manners or alterra. You might be able to get under 2000 with that and have a lightweight semi custom gun.

I'd get a Sako though.

AkRyan

WKR
My first question would be why do you need a custom rifle? Most factory rifles shoot as good as custom as soon as you put a trigger on them or adjust the factory one. If it's weight then I get it because you can't get a "factory" sub 6 rifle that has a nice action (sorry savage ultralight guys). The .25in moa difference you going to get with a custom probably won't be noticed in real world application.

I also was a bow hunter and that experience will be a big plus. With my Tikka T3 SS lite and 7mm Rem mag I’ve been able to shoot DRT 20+ elk under 50 yards. Both calibers have had widespread supply, but now, the ammo shelves are bare in SW Idaho.