First elk - still giddy as a schoolgirl....

PNWGATOR

WKR
I've read a lot of great trip reports over the years on various outdoor forums chronicling some incredible adventures. Hands down this is my favorite trip report EVER! Unbelievably well done. You have an amazing family with incredible drive making dreams a reality.

Very, very well done.

Dougfir

FNG
Thanks for sharing, that was great! What a cool experience for your son (and for you). Congrats!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tod, great story and man, what a trip. How'd ya like that country? Some of the best country on the planet IMO. Way to get it done and congrats on your success.

Randy

P.S.----I especially like the part about bourbon and grouse:D:D:D

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Tod, great story and man, what a trip. How'd ya like that country? Some of the best country on the planet IMO. Way to get it done and congrats on your success.

Randy

P.S.----I especially like the part about bourbon and grouse:D:D:D

Thanks! I liked the area a lot, I would have loved to see what it was like before the big fire. We covered quite a few miles, but you just can't see that much on foot in 2 weeks, I could have spent a month in there. Could do with fewer snakes and it could be a little less steep, tho :).

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. Great article on your adventure. Amazing, enjoyed very much. Keep us posted on future trips.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
You just outwhataburgered every other rookie elk Hunter... In the history of the recorded world.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
few more pics...

Few more pics from the trip.....

Grouse hunting near Salmon, ID on the opener. First bird down! Love Idaho’s mentored youth hunting program – the hunting passport.

DSCF1459_zpsl4hjzxvj.jpg

Boy and Dog.
DSCF1467_zpslc8ae0tp.jpg

I had to stretch Gus’ first grouse into appetizers/dinner for three – grouse and garlic with dried apricots, and brie on good bread - it was good.

IMG_9948_zpsacos0du2.jpg

We spent a week in the Sawtooths grouse hunting. Very pretty country, maybe a little less rugged than Salmon where we were (but still steep) and much more lush.

IMG_0033_zpsb96y2pri.jpg

Temps were freezing at night and mild during the day. We got our first snow here the first week of Sept. We camped at the bottom and drove up to the top for grouse.

DSCF1573_zpsp3flx4ll.jpg

Gus with his first Dusky Grouse.

IMG_0043_zpsqbtzyb3n.jpg

I was allowed to shoot some too. I made a very pretty report double on these two as they flushed in sequence and tried to take the same route across a meadow.

IMG_0084_zpsllvkbpzz.jpg

I thought about trying to make a pan sauce from what was in the crop of the birds.

IMG_0087_zpshepq3mpp.jpg

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
few more pics...

Gus’ first duck opener with a gun!!!!

DSCF0400_zps8a0ayk3p.jpg

First duck!!!!

DSCF0403_zpsve4xrj3m.jpg

Second duck!!!!

DSCF0412_zpsegqxlh9g.jpg

Gus, Skeet and I with the rig. I don’t know how many times I swore at myself for the decision to bring a rig of my hand carved deeks on a 13,000 mile trip, but having Gus shoot his first ducks over it made it all worthwhile.

DSCF0423_zpsktwisjcy.jpg

Nice pile of ducks.

IMG_0319_zpsk6cj3bi0.jpg

Setting the stool on another day in another spot for an evening shoot.

DSCF0448_zpsi8txfuwc.jpg

Skeet and the rig.

DSCF0453_zps3mliwgb2.jpg

Idaho duck poppers in the Redwoods.

IMG_0438_zpsng5tghh1.jpg

Jimbob

WKR
WOW! and well done!

I did a month long western road trip with the family this summer but we hit all the tourists spots and I had somewhat conflicting emotions about it. Going to amazing national parks and seeing old faithful and Rushmore and such is great but waiting in lines and staying within the boundaries while trying to observe and experience nature flat out sucked.

Your trip here has the elements that I was seeking. I am so excited to do a fraction of what you did with my own family one day. Once again well done sir.

Sweet story and great pics. If more parents were doing this with their kids we'd have a much better outlook on our future of hunting. I'm trying everyday to get my two kids outdoors.

Rob5589

WKR
Wow man, sounds epic. Need to put it all in a journal for the kids to look back on.