First elk

Jmoore

FNG
Been dragging my twin sons around the mountains for turkey and elk since they were 10, 14 now, last week they both took their first elk. One son drew a late season cow and the other I picked up a LO tag. We always try and include one of their friends that don't get to hunt much if any, just to introduce them to hunting and what it's about. To say this kid is hooked would be an understatement. He didn't have an elk tag but we got him into a prairie dog town and he sure came in handy on the breakdown. We were fighting high temps and wind and put the miles on picking out holes and canyons for 2 days and didn't turn up anything. Day 3 the weather got better with temps in the teens and light wind. About 30 minutes after daylight we found a group we thought was a dozen or so cows and tried to ease in with no cover but got busted and they headed into a hole. After the last cow got out of sight we hustled to the rim to find them coming up the other side. Ended up being a bigger group than we thought and both boys were able to both pick out mature cows and then the work started.

1640719653448.jpeg
1640719687319.jpeg

Well done and that had to be an absolutely phenomenal experience. I can just imagine the adrenaline rush as you guys hustled up the rim to head them off, saw them coming, settled into shooting positions, picked out targets, and pulled the triggers. Then the exultations and elation as both boys found their marks. Poetry in motion right there and congratulations to your crew!

Sherman

WKR
So awesome!!! Congrats to the proud dad and successful sons. I love stories like this. I can’t wait to tell my own story of my sons first pack out. Hopefully next year!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Way to go boys. Always nice to introduce someone new to hunting. Lots of great eating you got there.

OP
Jmoore

Jmoore

FNG
Thanks all and yeah we had a heck of a time plus added some meat to the freezer, minus one backstrap and a heart.
Told the boys we were having prairie dog backstraps too but they were not having any part of that!