First ever hunt in the US and Idaho

seww

WKR
Hey fellow hunters!

I just wanted to post a thread of my first ever hunt in the US and in Idaho. Moved here from Sweden last November and the hunting here is different 🙂

Just spent 3 days this week hunting the archery opener for mule deer. 2 different units, 3 different areas. Scouting hasn't been the greatest so this has been more or less a scouting adventure with a bow.

Got into this week with high expectations of seeing animals, boy was I wrong! Or at least, seeing the animal I'm hunting for. So far I've seen 2 cow moose, 1 big moose bull, 5 grouse, 11 hawks (I think) circling me and tons of cattle and 1 doe.

Been all the way up to 9300 ft, seen tracks, scats, the lot. Except the actual buck.
Got a few nice pics of the days out there, really interesting country and very different from up North.

Any tips are always welcome and I don't mind getting questions by pm if someone feels like it. I know my glassing game is weak because I get bored... After an hour and nothing, I just want to move on.

Attachments

• PXL_20210902_130503495.jpg
    PXL_20210902_130503495.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20210830_204002074.jpg
    PXL_20210830_204002074.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 118
  • PXL_20210831_163639006.jpg
    PXL_20210831_163639006.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 118
  • PXL_20210902_165915975.jpg
    PXL_20210902_165915975.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 117

hobbes

WKR
Can't help you with Idaho, but it looks like nice country. If there are higher elevations locally, that may be where you'll find the bucks this early.

Last edited:
OP
S

seww

WKR
Can't help you with Idaho, but it looks like nice country. If there are higher elevations locally, that maybe where you'll find the bucks this early.
Yeah maybe. Just bugs me I couldn't see any 🙂
Of course I saw some deer in the fields on the way there..

Thanks for sharing the pics!

I hope you find what you are looking for (wish I had something helpful to suggest about mule deer hunting, but I don’t really, especially with a bow).

I have some extended family back in Sweden who hunt; it’s fun to compare notes and see how different things are.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Thanks for sharing the pics!

I hope you find what you are looking for (wish I had something helpful to suggest about mule deer hunting, but I don’t really, especially with a bow).

I have some extended family back in Sweden who hunt; it’s fun to compare notes and see how different things are.
That's cool! Any idea of where in Sweden?
We use dogs a lot for hunting. And then the way the authorities handle the hunt is way different.

ODB

WKR
@seww Hey - you made it! I remember your post last year. Did you end up in Pocatello?

Sweden is great - Been to Lulea and Pitea.

That's cool! Any idea of where in Sweden?
We use dogs a lot for hunting. And then the way the authorities handle the hunt is way different.
In the south mostly, around Norrkoping and Uppsala; hope to get over there someday.

Funny how varied the hunting traditions and what’s considered “sporting” or “fair chase” can be. Sounded like it is pretty common to use dogs to drive big game to a hunter there, but the idea of sitting in a tree waiting for a deer to walk underneath seemed like “cheating” (maybe that’s just my cousin’s opinion).

Glad you are able to experience a classic Western spot-and-stock type of hunt. Hope it comes together for you!

OP
S

seww

WKR
@seww Hey - you made it! I remember your post last year. Did you end up in Pocatello?

Sweden is great - Been to Lulea and Pitea.
@ODB hells yeah man we made it! Ended up in Idaho Falls and bought a house in Iona now!

That's crazy, we lived in LuleĂĄ before moving here, almost all my family lives there.

OP
S

seww

WKR
In the south mostly, around Norrkoping and Uppsala; hope to get over there someday.

Funny how varied the hunting traditions and what’s considered “sporting” or “fair chase” can be. Sounded like it is pretty common to use dogs to drive big game to a hunter there, but the idea of sitting in a tree waiting for a deer to walk underneath seemed like “cheating” (maybe that’s just my cousin’s opinion).

Glad you are able to experience a classic Western spot-and-stock type of hunt. Hope it comes together for you!
Oh alright, that's way south from where I come from 🙂

Well, the way we use dogs are to find the game and then stop it by barking and working it. Then you're supposed to get in close enough to get a shot. Not easy for sure.
But lots of stand-hunters will shoot at a running moose, which seems to not happen here so much.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
@ODB hells yeah man we made it! Ended up in Idaho Falls and bought a house in Iona now!

That's crazy, we lived in LuleĂĄ before moving here, almost all my family lives there.

Welcome to IF.

From the pictures, you're looking in the right country. PM sent.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Thought I should share today's adventure!

Bad start, rain and a night in the car. Figured I'd take a hike and go home early in case the sun didn't show.
Around 7 am I had hiked a mile or more in some thick timber and found a nice opening where I could glass and enjoy some brew.
All of sudden I saw a herd of elk crossing the creek below me and into the timber! Super cool!
I heard them in there for a while but then they were gone. Oh well...

Walked over to check over the ridge down to the drainage and I hear a bull, moose or elk roughing about! Never saw it but fun to hear it.
Go back to my pack and turn around, I see something running towards me. Finally I see, a freakin black bear! At 50 yards or so I clap my hand and shout, it stops, looks at me and then turn around and run away. Awesome! Second time I see a wild bear outside a car!

A moment later I hear a massive elk bugle! First time hearing that in the wild! I do realize this could be another hunter but hopefully it wasn't.

What a day! No deer, again, but I left a bit early as my knee was killing me. Been bedridden since. Finally starting to feel better.

Until next time!

Attachments

• PXL_20210911_141200301.jpg
    PXL_20210911_141200301.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20210911_161828768.jpg
    PXL_20210911_161828768.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
S

seww

WKR
Nice day today. Went to a new place in one of the units I like. Met a guy who took down cow elk last night, was unable to help with the load and I feel kind of bad. He did make it on his own.

No deer today. Managed to get up to 9700 feet before my knee started acting up. So pissed, wanted to reach the ridge and I was not far away. Bah...

Heard some bugles, almost constantly from 6.30-10.00. At least two separate bulls. So much fun to hear them!
Just wanted to share and write myself off. If my knee doesn't shape up, this is going to be a bad season...

Slept in the Rav4 again but a bit better prepared this time!

Attachments

• PXL_20210918_142830852.jpg
    PXL_20210918_142830852.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20210918_115234028.jpg
    PXL_20210918_115234028.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 55
OP
S

seww

WKR
Nice pictures, it looks like good areas, Good luck!
Thanks! I don't want to bring my DSLR, already got enough stuff, so it's just phone pictures.

They are nice areas for elk and moose and bear, but not for mule deer :)

OP
S

seww

WKR
Planned on hunting Tex Creek last night and today but driving out my plan A, B, C and even D was blown to bits due to all other hunters.

Man, there were trucks and people all over the place. There are too many roads in that unit. Poor animals, gotta smell human scents everywhere they go, no matter what the winds are.

So now, I guess the archery season is over. Taking a break until rifle season opens and then we'll see.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Welcome to America my guy. I hope you enjoy Idaho. Hella pressure in that state.
Thank you sir!
I've always had a spot for North America growing up and managed to get into college in Utah in 2004. Finally being a grown-up and we moved 🙂

Sure is a lot of people around, but there's also lots of wilderness. I got a few spots I'm headin to once rifle season starts!

OP
S

seww

WKR
So rifle deer season started last weekend, had some family obligations so no go. Did take Friday off and had plans on meeting some new friends out in Tex Creek, but realized the 7 day war started yesterday so I bailed. Went to a different unit and area.

Drove out late Thursday, just slept in the car at the trailhead. Bad idea number 1. It probably got below 10 degrees at night and my sleeping bag is a 20-deg bag. Very miserable night.
Met a couple of guys from Oklahoma and Texas, I believe, in the morning. They had seen some deer but mostly elk. We hiked a bit before we parted ways.

I went uphill in the snow, not fun. Got to this timber area where I've seen deer, and figured I'd sneak closer. I look up towards the top of the mountain and see some round rocks. Look with my binos, and it looks like 4 mulies!
Got super excited but then I saw the horns, they were rams! Haha very cool to see.

Kept hiking and after 4 miles or so, I found a nice spot in the warming sun to glass. Saw loads of tracks below me, there were some water down in an opening. But nothing. No sounds no movement, dead. After about an hour I got cold and starting to head back. I was not properly dressed for the snow and cold that's for sure.

As I hiked back I walked by the tracks and they were all a couple of days old, looked like elk. Got up on a ridge and saw 6 cows bedded down, pretty sweet. After a few hundred yards I spotted 2 cows and 2 calves right on the trail! Ha less than 160 yards from me. I have a cow tag in this unit but not until 12/10. Bummer.
Got to hear them bark which was really cool.

On the drive home I did see about 20 deer in the alfalfa fields of course...
Also noticed that I lost a screw for the scope. Great.

So yeah, not a great day but could have been worse I suppose. Just seem like the deer population in Idaho isn't great.

Attachments

• PXL_20211015_154809584.jpg
    PXL_20211015_154809584.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20211015_155113845.jpg
    PXL_20211015_155113845.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 39

Kwa_bena

FNG
So rifle deer season started last weekend, had some family obligations so no go. Did take Friday off and had plans on meeting some new friends out in Tex Creek, but realized the 7 day war started yesterday so I bailed. Went to a different unit and area.

Drove out late Thursday, just slept in the car at the trailhead. Bad idea number 1. It probably got below 10 degrees at night and my sleeping bag is a 20-deg bag. Very miserable night.
Met a couple of guys from Oklahoma and Texas, I believe, in the morning. They had seen some deer but mostly elk. We hiked a bit before we parted ways.

I went uphill in the snow, not fun. Got to this timber area where I've seen deer, and figured I'd sneak closer. I look up towards the top of the mountain and see some round rocks. Look with my binos, and it looks like 4 mulies!
Got super excited but then I saw the horns, they were rams! Haha very cool to see.

Kept hiking and after 4 miles or so, I found a nice spot in the warming sun to glass. Saw loads of tracks below me, there were some water down in an opening. But nothing. No sounds no movement, dead. After about an hour I got cold and starting to head back. I was not properly dressed for the snow and cold that's for sure.

As I hiked back I walked by the tracks and they were all a couple of days old, looked like elk. Got up on a ridge and saw 6 cows bedded down, pretty sweet. After a few hundred yards I spotted 2 cows and 2 calves right on the trail! Ha less than 160 yards from me. I have a cow tag in this unit but not until 12/10. Bummer.
Got to hear them bark which was really cool.

On the drive home I did see about 20 deer in the alfalfa fields of course...
Also noticed that I lost a screw for the scope. Great.

So yeah, not a great day but could have been worse I suppose. Just seem like the deer population in Idaho isn't great.
My goodness. You're making me want to quit my job move up there with those pictures

OP
S

seww

WKR
My goodness. You're making me want to quit my job move up there with those pictures
Haha thanks!
I can't really complain when I see this kind of beauty.
Forgot to add a pic of the elk.

Attachments

• PXL_20211015_182617840.jpg
    PXL_20211015_182617840.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 52