First ever hunt in the US and Idaho

OP
S

seww

WKR
Well, that's another interesting morning. Just went for a quick hike due to family obligations and got see a doe at less than 100 yards! Right species this time, just the wrong gender. She did look like she could identify as a buck...
We just watched each other for a good 5-10 min before she took off.

Then I spotted a cow elk too! Sweet stuff!
Crossed the drainage and coming up the hill I saw a group of 8 does and fawns running away from me. They were probably bedded right beneath me before I headed over the drainage.

And at last, a small buck came out too! At least I think it was a buck, hard to tell because the antlers were small. Probably over the legal limit of 3 inches but still.
They headed away from me of course and didn't see them anymore.

Still, I'm glad I found them in that area, only 2 miles from the trailhead. Might go there this week in the evening before sunset.

Attachments

• PXL_20211017_135957250.jpg
    PXL_20211017_135957250.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 41
OP
S

seww

WKR
You have the whole month up there in Idaho, right?
Well archery season is all of September and then rifle deer is for 2 weeks.
But it also depends on what tag you have and so forth.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Well, think it's time to call the deer hunt to an end. Last day of rifle season today, went out to pursue the young buck I think I saw last Sunday.
Brought a friend, his first time out hunting! He got a bit sick going uphill and threw up 🙂

Saw a nice bull moose again and a cow. As always...
We did spot a doe passing us up on top of the ridge. But instead we went the other direction. Didn't see anything else, we had some coffee and snacks and then the wind got to us and we went home. Short 4 mile hike with a friend who now got the hunt bug so he sure is getting ready for next fall.
Bittersweet but that's gow it goes.

Got my cow elk tag in December, we'll see then!

Attachments

• signal-2021-10-24-14-12-04-000.jpg
    signal-2021-10-24-14-12-04-000.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Gobbler36

WKR
Don’t know how it is in Sweden or other places but it’d be nice if you didn’t show pictures of full on skylines on a public forum for every Tom, dick, and harry to scout out. Otherwise happy hunting

OP
S

seww

WKR
Don’t know how it is in Sweden or other places but it’d be nice if you didn’t show pictures of full on skylines on a public forum for every Tom, dick, and harry to scout out. Otherwise happy hunting
I hear ya. I try to pick pictures that shouldn't give it away but I don't know how hard people try to figure it out. Good thing I rarely see anything of interest 😜

It does work differently in Sweden, most big game hunting is on private land or on public where you would lease it. So for big game you don't have to worry about someone finding out where you hunt the same way we do here. But I am trying to not say too much or show too much.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Welcome to the US and our hunting community. Keep at it and you'll be honed-in in no time!
Thank you!

Had no luck this year, my December elk hunt was a snow-out and only had like 2-4 days to try. Didn't find any elk but did see some deer! Always nice to get out though.

Focus now on 2022!