First ever stuck case (223)

Anyone have an extra RCS 223 decapping rod with the expander? I had a case get real stuck and might have lost my cool for a minute. Nothing good happened after that.

Attachments

• 20210120_142635.jpg
    20210120_142635.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Mudflap621

Lil-Rokslider
What timing... I just stuck one the other day too. Also a first. I tried punching out with a dowel but wasn’t happening so waiting for my stuck case removed hope it works. I got greedy trying to set up my die and using the same case lol. What die you using possibly call the manufacturer and they could help u out.

mmac

WKR
RCBS sells them direct or sportmans usually has them locally.

I had one stuck the other night with one shot, think I am done with that stuff. Happens too often.

OP
R
What timing... I just stuck one the other day too. Also a first. I tried punching out with a dowel but wasn’t happening so waiting for my stuck case removed hope it works. I got greedy trying to set up my die and using the same case lol. What die you using possibly call the manufacturer and they could help u out.
I went right to drilling and tapping. Pulled the threads right out. Twice.. So just kept drilling bigger and bigger until it started to spin. Its RCBS, I called and just got a recording that they are having technical difficulties right now

OP
R
RCBS sells them direct or sportmans usually has them locally.

I had one stuck the other night with one shot, think I am done with that stuff. Happens too often.
Out of stock unfortunately

What's the rub on one-shot? I've sized maybe 10k cases using it and never had a stuck case.

OP
R
What's the rub on one-shot? I've sized maybe 10k cases using it and never had a stuck case.
Not sure, I have never used it. It seems like it could speed my reloading up a bit. The only issue I could see is maybe consistent coverage?

I'm with you on this one. It seems to work just fine for me IF it is applied a tad liberally to the die and cases at all directions and make sure it gets in the case mouth as well. Then you must let it sit, I usually wait at least 5-10 min. Probably don't need to quite that long though. Only caveat is, I typically only use it on pistol cases and 223 type stuff I don't use it on large or magnum rifle cases. For those I like to use Imperial, positive extraction every time. Also since I mentioned two different lubes I want to add that when I do use a different type I completely clean the die(s) of the old or different lube before I start using another.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It wasn't Hornady brass was it? I've had two stuck cases in my lifetime, and both were Hornady brass in two different calibers with RCBS lube years apart.

OP
R
It wasn't Hornady brass was it? I've had two stuck cases in my lifetime, and both were Hornady brass in two different calibers with RCBS lube years apart.
It was actually my first attempt at military 556 with the crimped primer. I heard a crunch and it was too late. Snapped the decapping pin and case was stuck

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
The replacement de-capping pins and all other die parts are usually available from retailers that sell reloading equipment or any of the mail order places. I would recommend a complete "die rebuild kit" be kept on hand at all times. I know Hornady sells a kit with a couple extra de-capping pins, a spindle, some clips, etc.. for about $12. Will save your butt at midnight during a reloading run. As stated above, I would definitely recommend a specific de-capping die for anything that is crimped. if not, keep a dozen de-capping pins available at all times. One last thing, some manufactures de-capping pins will interchange, others will not. Just something to be aware of.

packer58

WKR
One more thought,
Some military cases are Berdan primed which means two flash holes on either side of the primer pocket, they will destroy a decaping pin and possibly the stem every time. shine a light through the case mouth to verify, it will look like a bridge across the primer pocket.

OP
R
One more thought,
Some military cases are Berdan primed which means two flash holes on either side of the primer pocket, they will destroy a decaping pin and possibly the stem every time. shine a light through the case mouth to verify, it will look like a bridge across the primer pocket.
This is exactly what happened. I didn't realize that was a thing, but when I was drilling out the pocket there were two holes. WTF

OP
R
I emailed RCBS and they are going to send me one, but it will take a couple weeks before I'll see it. Very good service