First ever western hunt- help (idaho)

No like I said talked to locals. They were great I scouted in July but didn't see much due to the heat. The areas 12 hours away so not much time to pre scout. I spent a lot of time hiking and behind glass saw a few smaller bucks while I was there but not anything I wanted to shoot that far from the porch. After talking to a few people concentrated my efforts on one area and really got lucky.

Wow, that’s awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jclark225

FNG
I've been hunting 28 off and on for the last 10 years and am the third generation (of the paternal side) of the family that's been pulling deer and elk out of there. It can be great when you get away from the crowds but even slow years produce good bucks and bulls if you know where to go.

Like the stock market, time invested is always better than trying to guess good timing. So my advice, for what it's worth, would be no matter where you go to invest a good number of seasons really learning the animals and the land there. Harvest stats, gohunt, OnX and all that only show the smallest glimpse into what a unit MIGHT provide.

Even after almost a decade of hunting the same general area, I'm finding new little hidy-holes, new springs not on maps and sanctuaries they go to when pressured. My only problem is that I always end up shooting the first 145-160 deer I see not keeping my tag in my pocket more than a couple days lol. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous bucks in the last day or two of the season while going after elk.

Attachments

• 8160.jpeg
    8160.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 7765.jpeg
    7765.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200204_115340675.jpg
    IMG_20200204_115340675.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 37