First ever western hunt- help (idaho)

I would have to disagree with the part of not needing a spotting scope if you plan on hunting any where in central Idaho.
That's totally fair, and I'll defer to your experience on the ground since I haven't hunted that area. I bring my spotter with me on most hunts in eastern Oregon and its usefulness totally varies with the area. In some places, it's invaluable for reaching up a long canyon or across a major drainage to scan efficiently. Other areas, I'm good with just binos.

I'd mostly caution new western hunters away from a spotter mostly based on their budget. Rental is a good idea, but I can't help but think the money would be better spent on solid boots or clothing that will keep him in the field longer. Or heck, save the $1k for another tag next year. Plus, I feel like a spotting scope is the kind of specialized tool you add once you've experienced a direct need in the field. I tend to take the long view on gear though, I don't really like adding gear until I know I actually need it (within reason).

That's totally fair, and I'll defer to your experience on the ground since I haven't hunted that area. I bring my spotter with me on most hunts in eastern Oregon and its usefulness totally varies with the area. In some places, it's invaluable for reaching up a long canyon or across a major drainage to scan efficiently. Other areas, I'm good with just binos.

I'd mostly caution new western hunters away from a spotter mostly based on their budget. Rental is a good idea, but I can't help but think the money would be better spent on solid boots or clothing that will keep him in the field longer. Or heck, save the $1k for another tag next year. Plus, I feel like a spotting scope is the kind of specialized tool you add once you've experienced a direct need in the field. I tend to take the long view on gear though, I don't really like adding gear until I know I actually need it (within reason).

For sure. I don’t use mine as much here in Eastern Idaho but the area he asked about and the rest of central idaho has lots of large burns in big country were you usually find deer. But my logic is if you can see it you might as well glass it so I always have a spotter on me. For $100 or so a week to bring along a Swaro you might as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

ICantHunt

FNG
Thanks for the help everybody, we decided to roll the mule deer trip back and start entering the draw, and 2021 will be otc archery elk or mulies, most likely in Colorado. I assume the gear will be similar just with less need for extreme cold weather clothes. Either way, thank you for all the help! Hopefully we can put it to use in 2022!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for the help everybody, we decided to roll the mule deer trip back and start entering the draw, and 2021 will be otc archery elk or mulies, most likely in Colorado. I assume the gear will be similar just with less need for extreme cold weather clothes. Either way, thank you for all the help! Hopefully we can put it to use in 2022!
Colorado doesn't have OTC mule deer tags, and you realize that CO is higher elevation than Idaho, right? It can, and probably will, snow in September, maybe August. Always take cold weather gear. Always.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
I

ICantHunt

FNG
Colorado doesn't have OTC mule deer tags, and you realize that CO is higher elevation than Idaho, right? It can, and probably will, snow in September, maybe August. Always take cold weather gear. Always.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah, we realized the snow factor. We have warmer clothing for if it does happen. It’s not the greatest, but it will work fine for us

Wassid82

WKR
Hi, this is my first post on here.

My buddy and I decided that we want to go on our first western style hunt, and were going to target Mule deer. We are doing OTC rifle, so we are thinking that Unit 28 is the best bet for us to be successful and not be around too many hunters. I've done some backpacking so I have some backcountry knowledge, but we're flatlanders from Illinois and Minnesota who primarily hunt waterfowl so we are way over our heads trying to figure out what we need to know. I've got a long list of questions, but ill list a few to start. Thanks for your help!

Is unit 28 a smart decision? we want a decent chance at harvesting a buck and I know that with a deer tag we could shoot wolves or bears, but we also want to spike hunt if we have the opportunity and get away from the crowd. If anybody has any specifics that they'd like to share that would be awesome, but I'm not trying to get any honeyholes.

What budget clothing would you recommend? were both college students so money is a fantasy, and we have no idea how to prepare for both hot and cold.

Is a spotting scope going to make our odds much better? we have vortex 10x42s but I know most people use bigger optics.. What are some very budget friendly brands?

For the october rifle season, are deer mostly in the high country, or would it be better to hunt down low?

lastly, what are the basics of mule deer hunting? what should we look for when internet scouting and while hunting? we might try to get out there in the summer to scout but it most likely won't happen due to work.

Thank you so much!
Clothing is a good thing but most brands can work depending on your personal comfort level. I think attire is most important in boots and shocks. It’s hard to hunt hard with feet in bad conditions.
I do think a spotting scope is very helpful for mule deer because you can scout so much more terrain. I carry both 10x binos and a 20-60 spotting scope. If you get high you can glass a lot of country and find deer. vortex/athlon/meopta all have budget friendly scopes. Or try a used scope in online classifieds.
Where deer will be depends on so many factors especially the weather. Be prepared to hunt high low and in between.

Pilchuck

FNG
I did my first back country mule deer hunt in ID this past fall. Spent some time in 28, but more time in 36b. The thing that shocked me was how big & vast that area of ID was. The hunting was tough, as the deer sightings were low, and I came back with my tag. From my experience the learning curve for ID is steep & so is the country. Come in shape & ready to hike. Optics are very important. If you are set on hunting ID, I would keep your success expectations low, especially for your first trip out there. Without any advanced scouting, it is going to take time to learn the country & find where the animals are. My experience is that it may take you multiple hunts or seasons to gain this knowledge. Even though my hunt turned out to be more of a high country camping/glassing trip, I still had a good time & saw some amazing country. I'm a flat lander too, and was once intimidated by this kind of a hunt. Scour this site for info on gear, high country hunting etc., and just go do it. It may take you a few trips to find success, but the things you learn from DIY, are invaluable & worth learning.

Pilchuck

FNG
Talking to locals once your there can be helpful as well. If it wasn't for the local store owner "Bob" I may have not got the 189" buck i got this year in Idaho.

Old faithful 270. I suspect everyone has that rifle in the safe that never fails them. Funny thing i have a lot of rifles that cost a lot more and have better optics but she has never failed me.

What day of the month did you kill him if you don’t mind me asking? I always find it interesting what day those old Idaho brutes meet their fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old faithful 270. I suspect everyone has that rifle in the safe that never fails them. Funny thing i have a lot of rifles that cost a lot more and have better optics but she has never failed me.
An Old faithful in an everyday caliber getting it done. That’s great! I imagine that lots of folks have at least one. 👍

Pilchuck

FNG
No like I said talked to locals. They were great I scouted in July but didn't see much due to the heat. The areas 12 hours away so not much time to pre scout. I spent a lot of time hiking and behind glass saw a few smaller bucks while I was there but not anything I wanted to shoot that far from the porch. After talking to a few people concentrated my efforts on one area and really got lucky.