First flintlock build!

So the last couple years after bow and rifle season ive been leaving the inlinein the safe and messing around with dads old hawken 50 cal, last year i shot a buck with it patch and ball and im hooked on black powder and just recently ordered my first blackpowder flintlock build. The rifle is a sitting fox northwest trade gun smooth bore .62 cal 20 ga, walnut stock , davis lock, 36 inch barrel i cant wait to put this thing together and make it mine, then kill a deer with it, anyone else have any experience building these kit guns???

Last edited:

ChrisA

WKR
Been taking my time, six years to be exact, since I got a basket case 50 cal southern mountain rifle from a buddy. Actually, I got a stock, barrel and breech plug; have sourced a Chambers Late Ketland lock and double set trigger.

I'm getting very close to inletting the breech plug but I want to add a lollipop to tang, and my breech plug and breech end of barrel need shortened 3/16" for propper vent liner location.

Figured out the stock was probably made for a large Siler lock as the Ketland sits way too far ahead of the lock plate face.

Anyway, good luck, you shouldn't have the issues I'm running into with a mismatched set of parts. Make sure you lay hands on it everyday and I'd bet it'll come together pretty quick.

Chris

Stalker69

WKR
Man looking at these “ kits’ I don’t see any way you could build one, decide to sell it and expect to make any thing or for that matter brake even (even with no labor charge considered), in fact seems like you may have to take a loss. ( big loss if you consider your time). Wondering if this is a part of why it seems traditional seems to be dying. You can buy a pretty high end in line ready to go for what these costs. I have both, but really have the urge to build another trad. one.

Last edited:

lynnhawk

FNG
If you’re going to build a kit Gun of any type you had better be doing it for fun and keeping it for your self....like you said they can be labor intense...but also very rewarding and self satisfying..

TimothyJ

FNG
I started in on one of the "kits" several years back, but haven't gotten it finished since it is more a pile of parts than anything. I have been considering buying a Kibler's longrifles kit since they are made using CNC machines and require much less work for a first time build.