First Fox of 2019!

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
After a windy start to the day I decided to get some stuff done around the house and try to go call later this afternoon if the wind calmed down. I decided to go out about 3 o’clock and went to a new spot that I had been to but never called. I scouted out a place to setup that would give me a good vantage point and allow me to easily see behind me. The area has a very high population of lions and heard of two others this winter who had them come into there setups later in the evening.

Once in place I had my call down in the bottom of a small drainage and was perched on a rock outcropping about 40 feet above. I started with some locator howls then went to a woodpecker distress on the electronic call. I have been trying to use different sounds other than the typical rabbit distress sounds that I feel these animals always hear on our public lands. About 10 minutes after continually looking over my shoulder I caught a flash of fur through some scrub brush. Initially my thoughts were “big cat” since it came up from behind me through the bush without a sound. After a few seconds I caught a good glimpse of it and noticed it was a fox. He was coming up to the edge of the rocks to see what was going on down below. He came within about 12 feet of me before taking off. Once he started trotting off I stood up and turned around as he topped the hill behind me and started doing some lip squeaks. Sure enough he came back over exposing the front half of his body and I was able to pull a quick shot at about 40 feet. He did about two or three quick spins and then dropped right in a patch of cholla.

Men92rt.jpg

Last edited:

JC333

FNG
Nice gray. I get plenty of reds in Pa but the gray has been avoiding me !

Attachments

• IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 4