First frame pack

PAhntr91

WKR
Looking at purchasing a new pack.. day pack to be specific. Mostly hunt white tails and bears in pa. Going to be going for antelope next season but I wanna pack that I can pack those animals out with. Carrying a lone wolf set up is a plus on it. I was looking at the MR pop ups or the stone glacier Kiowa 3200 or do I spend the extra cash and jump to something like the stone glacier solo?. Keep in mind not trying to break the bank here. But want something decent. Let me know what you think thanks

Last edited:

Rwatwood

FNG
Looking at purchasing a new pack.. day pack to be specific. Mostly hunt white tails and bears in pa. Going to be going for antelope next season but I wanna pack that I can pack those animals out with. Carrying a lone wolf set up is a plus on it. I was looking at the MR pop ups or the stone glacier Kiowa 3200 or do I spend the extra cash and jump to something like the stone glacier solo?. Keep in mind not trying to break the bank here. But want something decent. Let me know what you think thanks
Have you looked at Initial Ascent? Bit cheaper than SG but awesome quality. They have a “Day Pack” mode with the frame, lid and a pannier carrier that has a good sized pocket on it. I use that setup for shed hunting and bow shoots.

They also have 2000, 4000 and 6000 cubic inch bags so you can do longer trips. I always message them on Instagram when I have a question and they always help me out.

Skid71

FNG
I'm right there with you PAhntr, I am new to Rokslide and joined to get some help selecting a pack large enough to pack out a mule deer and small enough to be comfortable comfortable.

If you guys aren't camping, most any of the 30+ liter highline hunting pack systems will carry layers and lunch and possibles and meat bags, and a grip of tree steps and a couple of hanging stands and drinking water like no big deal.

Look for a system built on the same frame as the larger packs in the line. So then you can add 70lbs of deer meat and schlep everything back out at once if that's your ambition.

Last edited:
I'd make sure you watch the big pack review that is posted. I like having a frame I can switch bags on. Also so I can strap things to the frame itself, stands, or hides for example. I like the EXO packs, don't have experience with any you mentioned.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Going to a good frame pack was a game changer for me. The ability to lighten up and still haul weight out, or go heavy and haul camp in is awesome-but I’m just a new guy at this and am preaching to the choir.
I got a MR on the guide light frame used to learn on, and for the lower initial buy in I’ll be able to use it, learn what my style really is and find out where I really want to sink money in the future. Watch the classified here.
But going from an Eberlestock that would kill me when over 30# to something I can carry 70#+ in comfortably was an eye opening experience.

Pop Up 28 is a great little day pack that can even spend a night out. Have mine going on 3 years now. I've used it in Wyoming to pack out a whole boned out Muley and a boned out pronghorn. It also passes airline carrier size limits for overhead bin travel. My frozen meat rides home right above my head. It's heading back out with me on another Wy. Muley hunt next week. I also use it while stillhunting whitetails in the Catskills back east. It's narrow enough not to stick out wider than your torso and hang up in thick cover. Good luck with your decision.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Yeah I’m running a molle 2 harness on my lone wolf now.. it’s nice with a elberlestock bandit.. but I would like maybe a sawtooth, metcalf, or pop up. They seem to be available on classifieds a lot and ready to handle hauling meat and stands.. and the prices are not crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Sawtooth also. Another great choice. A step up in size and the Guide Light MT frame is capable of heavier loads in surprising comfort. The 270* zipper is a favorite feature for me.
Though it is slightly over carry on baggage size specs, I haven't been challenged yet. I see people with much larger bags all the time and nothing gets said.

Last edited:

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I run a mystery ranch Selway60 all the time and I’m more then happy with it everything cinches down so it’s plenty small enough for my day trips but I have the space to carry anything I want if I plan to stay longer or need to haul meat.

Skid71

FNG
Lots of good info! I'm leaning towards the MR pop up right now. Thanks everyone 👍

I too am an eastern hunter and bought a Mystery Ranch Terraframe 50 from sierra.com for $229. It has the guidelight frame, the load shelf and a 3000 cubic inch bag which is I believe the same size as the Solo you mentioned. It will easily carry 3 days worth of stuff and if I need to stretch it out to 5 days or so I can move my sleeping bag to the bottom outside or put my food in a dry bag and put it between the bag and the frame.

It will also carry a field dressed deer whole. If you are interested in seeing it in use. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/got-my-new-terraframe-50-bloody.188954/#post-1834444

Nontyp

FNG
I have the Pop up 28. I packed out a caribou front and rear quarters and the skull/horns for 1.5 miles on the N slope this yr on one trip. The pack held up but it was tough. I did have one buckle break. I also packed my 1/4 share of 3 other bulls on that trip. I have packed out for a night with it a few times.