First goat hunt south east BC

Joshwick

FNG
Hey guys I'm new too rokslide, I am looking for some advice on what too expect from my first goat hunt. I'll be going in mid October should see temperatures from -10 to 6°C and plan too backpack in for a 7-10 day hunt. I'll be doing this hunt with a partner. Advice on a good layering system and must have gear for taking on the mountains would be appreciated.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I took a mid Sept goat back in 08 down in Ketch, had a real nice hide, also took a labor Day goat here in Kodiak in 12, aslo had a nice uniform coat that was about 2-3" deep. I've been trying for an trad archery late winter goat since that one.....Still searching. If you want to hunt goats, go early, if you want to possibly hunt goats, go later.

DennisT

FNG
Hey guys I'm new too rokslide, I am looking for some advice on what too expect from my first goat hunt. I'll be going in mid October should see temperatures from -10 to 6°C and plan too backpack in for a 7-10 day hunt. I'll be doing this hunt with a partner. Advice on a good layering system and must have gear for taking on the mountains would be appreciated.

Josh,

I hunted goats in southeast BC in Mid - October, 2017. On the first day, there were blue bird skies, and some snow high up on the peaks. That night it started raining and snowing, which continued for the next 6 days. The valley we hiked up on the first day had no snow in it. Five days later we hiked the same trail, and the snow was 18 inches deep. That week, it rained more than it snowed, so I can only imagine how deep it would have been if it had been a little colder.

I would strongly advise keeping a close eye on the weather. If it starts to look bad, get out fast! On the plus side, the goats have amazing hair at that time of year, and some may move down a little lower where you can get to them.

As for gear, I would bring good rain gear, and a good pair of gaiters. Between the snow, rain, and all of the creek crossings, gaiters really help to keep you dry.

Good luck,
Dennis

OP
J

Joshwick

FNG
I hunted goats in southeast BC in Mid - October, 2017. On the first day, there were blue bird skies, and some snow high up on the peaks. That night it started raining and snowing, which continued for the next 6 days. The valley we hiked up on the first day had no snow in it. Five days later we hiked the same trail, and the snow was 18 inches deep. That week, it rained more than it snowed, so I can only imagine how deep it would have been if it had been a little colder.

I would strongly advise keeping a close eye on the weather. If it starts to look bad, get out fast! On the plus side, the goats have amazing hair at that time of year, and some may move down a little lower where you can get to them.

As for gear, I would bring good rain gear, and a good pair of gaiters. Between the snow, rain, and all of the creek crossings, gaiters really help to keep you dry.

Good luck,
Dennis

Thanks,

Would you recommend packing snowshoes with us? We are going too be using a Kuiu summit refuge tent with a liteoutdoors stove for the ability too dry our gear out in the evenings. hopefully the snow holds off long enough for us to be able too get a Goat down.

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
What part of SE B.C. you going , hunted various areas there for goat usually from mid to late Nov and have never needed snow shoes. Mid Oct you should be fine may get a dump of snow but odds are it wont last long. I actually prefer 3 to 6 inches of snow to climb in vrs frozen rain or a skiff that you may get in Oct.

OP
J

Joshwick

FNG
What part of SE B.C. you going , hunted various areas there for goat usually from mid to late Nov and have never needed snow shoes. Mid Oct you should be fine may get a dump of snow but odds are it wont last long. I actually prefer 3 to 6 inches of snow to climb in vrs frozen rain or a skiff that you may get in Oct.

We both have goat draws for 4-23b. We will be in the height of the rockies. That's good too hear didn't really want too pack in the extra weight.

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
We both have goat draws for 4-23b. We will be in the height of the rockies. That's good too hear didn't really want too pack in the extra weight.
Ya hunted some of that country but not for goats, did see some though but haven't been that way for awhile.
You accessing it from the elk valley side or the white river side.

OP
J

Joshwick

FNG
Ya hunted some of that country but not for goats, did see some though but haven't been that way for awhile.
You accessing it from the elk valley side or the white river side.

Not sure which side we are going in from yet. I was leaning towards the White river side. All of this country is new for me, haven't spent anytime hunting the Kootneys.

DennisT

FNG
Thanks,

Would you recommend packing snowshoes with us? We are going too be using a Kuiu summit refuge tent with a liteoutdoors stove for the ability too dry our gear out in the evenings. hopefully the snow holds off long enough for us to be able too get a Goat down.

Josh, We didn't use snowshoes when I was up there. I'm imagine later in the winter you would need them.

Xfactor

FNG
hunted 4-22 for goat 2nd week of october last year, and 2nd week of sept for elk, same area. sept saw about 6" of snow, october was reasonably dry. i really doubt you will need snowshoes...but then again it is the rockies, anything goes!

OP
J

Joshwick

FNG
Thanks, the weather is looking pretty good for the upcoming week. We are heading over there tonight and hiking out tomorrow morning. We won't be taking snowshoes.