First gobbler

Bosbourne

FNG
Saturday morning will go down as one of my favorite memories. I’ve always hunted ducks growing up on the east coast living in the south. Travelled out of state a few times, but shooting a turkey for the first time had my nerves on edge the rest of the day.
A long time buddy of mine, avid outdoorsman and fellow rokslider, and I decided to camp out Friday night. We threw some steaks on the old Coleman grill, talked about the wives and kids and more or less just got away from civilization for a night. We got up early the next morning and headed out to the turkey blind. We heard a couple gobbles far away and decided if they weren’t coming to us then we’d pick up and move shortly. Luckily we sat and waited that extra 10 minutes when out of nowhere we see this hen soaring out of the roost from our right maybe 80 yards.
My pal who did the calling had a very intense conversation with her for some time. She circled around our decoy a good 50 yards out and ended up on our left maybe 25 yards at 10 o’clock. My eyes were fixated on her as she stared into the blind trying to distinguish a glimpse of man. As she started to move farther left, my heart thumped as the biggest gobbler I had ever seen jumped to attack our poor jake, 7 steps away from us, in between his lady friend and he.
Like a well oiled machine I eased my gun to my shoulder and boom. I missed high, just as my buddy had said I would. The bird took off running left 25 yards and froze. I threw the gun back to my shoulder and fired again. This time he was down. 19.34 lbs, 10” beard, 15/16” and 1-1/16” spurs.

Attachments

• A0D990D4-3CA9-4766-BC5E-8A187677E2F6.jpeg
    A0D990D4-3CA9-4766-BC5E-8A187677E2F6.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 57
  • F8164ACE-176B-47EB-A6F1-A1F8B7136A8F.jpeg
    F8164ACE-176B-47EB-A6F1-A1F8B7136A8F.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 64
  • 71AADEE2-30ED-4288-A449-8AC307D528E9.jpeg
    71AADEE2-30ED-4288-A449-8AC307D528E9.jpeg
    509.4 KB · Views: 63

RedFox67

FNG
Congrats on the hunt! I'm new to turkey hunting as well and went on my first Georgia, public land hunt this past weekend (even managed to convince my wife to go). We were sharing a camping area and I didn't want to be the guy to wake up the neighbors at 5:30 am. At about 7, we woke up to a gobbler about 100 yards from the tent. I threw on my gear and headed up a steep ridge (for GA) to get in front of him. Instead of him staying on the other side of the ridge, he ended up moving to me. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it until he gobbled about 40 yards above me, on top of the ridge, and he took off. Hopefully we will have better luck next time.

OP
Bosbourne

Bosbourne

FNG
Thanks. Keep at it. It was my first successful hunt and I hope I'm involved in many more.

fatlander

WKR
Congrats! Deer hunting is just something to do in the fall while you wait for the turkeys to start gobbling in the spring, at least that’s how it is for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanner.L5

FNG
You’ll never forget the first. Great story and hopefully plenty more to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkey hunting in the spring is the best way to get out of your winter blues and get back in the woods!

JVM

FNG
Congrats on the hunt! I'm new to turkey hunting as well and went on my first Georgia, public land hunt this past weekend (even managed to convince my wife to go). We were sharing a camping area and I didn't want to be the guy to wake up the neighbors at 5:30 am. At about 7, we woke up to a gobbler about 100 yards from the tent. I threw on my gear and headed up a steep ridge (for GA) to get in front of him. Instead of him staying on the other side of the ridge, he ended up moving to me. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it until he gobbled about 40 yards above me, on top of the ridge, and he took off. Hopefully we will have better luck next time.
It's tough.. I went my 1st time last season and was hooked. Lost a 747 just like that and ended the season with a BS hunting on private prop fine for $1300. Next year he's mine!