First "group" at 70

I wouldn't really call this a group but my first time shooting at 70 yards feels like a success that I even got on target where I shoot half the target is behind the hill and I only have a 3 pin sight. I am shooting a hoyt rampage maxed out with 50-60 lb limbs at 30 inch draw. Sight is probably 3 inches over the target and I am actually using the tree behind the target to aim at.KIMG0225.JPG

PDob

FNG
For the first group, I’d be happy with those as well. My first attempt at 65-70 ended up with a search for the arrow in my pasture (which I did find eventually)!

It will get easier. Keep pushing the envelope on what your comfort zone is. Shooting at distance will show your short comings. But once you are comfortable with 80, 40 will be easy.

Rob5589

WKR
Set your self up for success and get yourself a sight that you can set for 70 yds. Aiming at the tree in the background will make it extremely difficult to obtain any true consistency.

OP
skyler_2010
Set your self up for success and get yourself a sight that you can set for 70 yds. Aiming at the tree in the background will make it extremely difficult to obtain any true consistency.
I agree on that my only issue is I can't afford a sight with those capabilities right now I had a hard enough time justifying paying $58 for 6 gold tip pro hunters when I knew they were supposed to be over $80

Put a dot on the tree. You don't necessarily need to hit where you are aiming. It's about consistency.

I use to shoot where I had to go straight up with my pins and use my 3rd knuckle as a reference.

OP
skyler_2010
Put a dot on the tree. You don't necessarily need to hit where you are aiming. It's about consistency.

I use to shoot where I had to go straight up with my pins and use my 3rd knuckle as a reference.
That was my thoughts. If I can get even a beach ball group at 70 I will be happy

Gumbo

WKR
Not bad at all. Stick with it, get a few more pins (or a roving sight) so you can properly aim, and make that your normal practice distance. You won't turn into Reo overnight but you will get far better and everything inside 50 will feel like a chip shot.

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
At least you are on the target. I only have 60 in my backyard range but it’s good to practice farther than you plan on hunting. Rocky Mountain sights are great, well built, in expensive sights that can come fixed with multiple pins or a slider. I’ve been through a few. Love them.

Txhunter85

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a good idea using a higher aiming point until you can afford to upgrade your sights. Long range practice has been the single biggest thing I can attribute to being a better shot. I practice routinely at 80-100 for the one time a year I go out west, but now I don’t even think twice when I get into a tree stand in Texas to hunt whitetail and a 30-40 yard shot presents itself. In comparison before I started practicing at longer distances I didn’t feel comfortable shooting past 30 yards at a whitetail.

TannerS

FNG
Great start. You are doing the right thing by shooting longer distances to amplify any setup or shooter issues. Keep at it and put a dot on a tree to give you an aiming point.

OP
skyler_2010
Where are you from?
Grand rapids, MN.
Great start. You are doing the right thing by shooting longer distances to amplify any setup or shooter issues. Keep at it and put a dot on a tree to give you an aiming point.
The other day I was out shooting and the neighbor came over and asked if I hunted and I said yes sir, interesting. You know anyone that shoots left handed I said yes I do I am shooting left handed now. He said well I have a great bow hanging in my garage if you are interested. Has a one pin slider sight on it and everything. I said how much. He said $100 I said ok I'll come take a look. So I bought a sight with an old bow on it and I figure I should be able to set up the old bow for my step son and I already took the sight off my bow and swapped them. Now I just need to get my hands on some tapes for it. 20-40 are close but at 60 I shot over the target and was probably closer to aiming at 70.

Hard as hell to shoot accurately at longer ranges without a pin to use... If you'd like to get proficient at it, I'd suggest getting a sight that will accommodate longer shots.

Gorp2007

WKR
Now I just need to get my hands on some tapes for it. 20-40 are close but at 60 I shot over the target and was probably closer to aiming at 70.

Just cut down a sticky note or use some masking tape and make your marks in pencil until you get your ranges well and truly dialed in, then you can switch to a more "professional" tape.