First Impressions First Lite Catalyst

mcseal2

WKR
My Catalyst arrived today and I got it tried on. I thought I'd post my first impressions for anyone thinking of ordering. I have NOT yet worn it outside to know anything on breathability or wind resistance.

The fit seems a bit tighter than my other First Lite outer layers. I'd call the fit similar to my Sawtooth with just a bit more room everywhere, but less stretch. The forearms especially seemed slimmer and more restrictive than I prefer. They are ok without much under them but were tight when I put my Kuiu Kenai puffy on under it. It might be a good thing for a bow hunter, but isn't really what I want for my use. I layered it over my Sawtooth and Halstead also. The lining created plenty of friction getting the sleeves over the Sawtooth. My Chama was buried in the bottom of my base layer tote and I didn't try that, but I imagine it would be the same. Not a big deal, but if I was layering up and down multiple times during the day it would be noticeable and I'd definitely want to use the thumb loops in the under layer. The Halstead it slid right over with no problem. Of the combos I tried the Catalyst over the Halstead with the Ucompaghre vest as an insulating layer was my favorite with a fit I liked.

I bought a 2XL Catalyst and have 14" forearms when I measured them tonight. The 2XL Catalyst weighed 24oz on my postage scale.

The material does seem pretty quiet. I ran my fingernails and a dry branch lightly over it a few times. It's definitely not as silent as merino, but for any type of shell material it's pretty quiet. I did the same thing with the Kryptek Dalibor II that has been my favorite softshell for a while and it seemed similar in noise. I feel that these two jackets fill the same niche in my hunting clothing so I wanted to compare them directly and see if I want to replace my Dalibor II with the Catalyst. Personally I still prefer the fit of the Dalibor II over the Catalyst after trying it with the same layers as I did the Catalyst. It's just enough looser in the sleeves that getting it on and off was easy no matter what I put under it. The Dalibor II seemed about the same on noise with the same tests but it's not a perfectly fair comparison as the Dalibor II has been worn a lot and is broke in. The Dalibor II is 5.5oz heavier than the Catalyst.

I am not sure right now if I will end up keeping the Catalyst or returning it. I want to try to get outside with it on a cool windy morning and see how it does blocking wind. The Catalyst does not have pit zips and I like that feature on the Dalibor II. I am a big fan of First Lite and have many of their products, more than any other hunting clothing company. I bought a lot of ASAT when they quit making it since it blends in really well in my area. I'm not set on sticking with any one brand though, I have always mixed and matched what fits my needs best. At this point the Catalyst will need to impress me on wind resistance for me to hang onto it and see how breathable it is. I primarily saw the Catalyst as a replacement for my Dalibor II for mid to late season hunts. Warmer weather I like to put my Sitka Mountain Jacket or Vest over a Chama or Sawtooth and have a puffy for insulation. Colder weather I like a more wind resistant hood than the Chama or Sawtooth offer so I usually had went to the Dalibor II over the Mountain Jacket for that.

Anyway that's my 2 cents for now. If I get a morning I can try it on with some cool wind I'll update my post. Hope it is useful to some of you.

4IDARCHER

WKR
My catalyst arrived today as well. I agree that the fit is a bit tighter in the arms and shoulders and the pants seem more in line (size wise) with Sitka sizing. I am 99% a bowhunter and bought this as mainly an earlier season softshell. It is quite a bit quieter then both the North Branch series the Kuiu guide jackets. I don’t think I would do much hiking with this series unless it was very late in the rifle season. I also agree that a puffy under this series would be tight. I am going to layer it with (up to) the 100gram primaloft baselayers from Cabelas then move to the Sanctuary after that. Still my favorite pattern in the fusion and quality build for sure.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I agree completely, I have had both the Guide and North Branch jacket and they both have a harder shell feel that is louder than this or the Kryptek jacket.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How are you liking the hood? From their video it looks simple, effective without a bunch of adjustments.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
The hood is very well designed, similar to the hood on the Chama or Sawtooth. It manages to zip to my chin and seal up there and not leave the "wings" on the sides like a hood that the Sitka Core Heavyweight does. I hate the hoods that zip clear to my nose when I don't need to zip them that high. I'd personally rather have a baklava for when I need that much wind protection than have a hood that does it. I wish the new tech fleece FL hoody had a hood more like this one. It does not compromise peripheral vision or need much adjustment but it still would seal out wind.

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
I asked this on the other thread, was just wondering if you noticed how easy it was to blow air through the material? i thought it was supposed to be pretty wind resistant and what I was going for

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
I received mine yesterday and i checked it by blowing through it and I could feel my breathe easily so I’m not sure how it’s gonna be very wind resistant. Unless people are talking about it blocking winds at 5mph

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I can blow through it. Haven't had it out in the wind yet.

Joelweb

FNG
I think it is fairly wind resistant, but not wind proof. My old Sitka 90% jacket was very similar for wind resistance. Hood is great. Sleeves are a little tight around the wrist, but I worked on it a little and it loosened up to be quite comfortable. It's also lightweight and not bulky, which is nice.

Last edited: