First Lit gear what to get?

rspecht55

FNG
I am trying to make some decision on first lite clothing for a September elk hunt in CO. I am having a hard time deciphering what to get. My budget is small and just need the essentials. Currently I have the wick hoody. Looking to add layers. I am trying to decide between the following.
Guide Lite pant OR corrúgate guide pant OR obsidian foundry.
Then….
Kiln hoody OR Klamath hoody OR Furnace
Finally….
Catalyst vest OR brooks down vest OR sawtooth hybrid

Any other suggestions based on your experiences would be great! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregonboy

WKR
I think the Klamath hoody is a great choice for a second layer and gets my vote. I wear the Kiln hoody quite a bit too during archery season. It's very comfortable and whisper quiet but don't dry as fast as the Klamath.

wnelson14

WKR
Guide lite pants aren’t worth it in my opinion, they are kind of loud and a bunch of other non hunting brands make a superior product for cheaper. I do like the corrugates and corrugate foundry though. Other pant options, Kuhl, Prana, Prometheus design works, beyond clothing, Kuiu Kutanas.
I do like the Klamath but prefer the kangaroo pockets that other companies provide on mid layers.

STL

FNG
Corrugate pants. I really like the Kuiu Kutana too. Eddie Bauer guide or wrangler atg/outdoor flex are some good budget options for the price, especially if you can grab a sale. All those are better than the guide lites imo. No experience with the obsidians.

Klamath. Kiln is great but I find the Klamath more versatile as a mid and an outer. It’s a bit warmer, a bit more durable, cuts the wind a bit better, still breathes, and dries pretty quick. Furnace is more of a stationary whitetail piece. I run too hot in it in all but really cold weather when moving. The new FL omen and Kuiu 240 are also good options.

Brooks vest. I’m not a huge fan of the sawtooth personally or the catalyst. Brooks will keep your core warmer on those cool mornings and at camp.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you're on a tight budget there are a ton of options out there to save money. Sales certainly help. A mix of solids and camo will serve you well. Just don't think you have to buy the latest, greatest gear to actually hunt. Watch the classifieds on here and stretch your budget further.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

j33

WKR
If you're on a tight budget there are a ton of options out there to save money. Sales certainly help. A mix of solids and camo will serve you well. Just don't think you have to buy the latest, greatest gear to actually hunt. Watch the classifieds on here and stretch your budget further.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What he said….

So many other options for earth tone colored pants with no vents out there, way too much money for First lite. Same goes for the vest.

I’ve owned the Kiln finally wore mine out and won’t be replacing it. Fleece is a better option so go with the Klamath.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Corrúgate guide pant I like a lot except they're super loud. Theyre durable, stretch and cut appropriately for the activity. But theyre loud. Like, I've been tempted to try rubbing the inner thighs down with beeswax to see if i can get them quiteted down. Washed a bunch of times and i wear them camping and hiking a lot. I have some obsidian merinos (original ones not the new fancy ones) that I've patched in several places since they're silent. I'll probably wear them again this year after I do some stitching. Its not Arizona so you won't completely tear them to shreds but you will probably bust the crotch. Honestly, if its stupid hot like it was last year I'm wearing $14 basket ball shorts. Its not AZ where every plant is trying to murder you or ID where there are ticks everywhere so its not that crazy of an idea and silent (they're matte not shiny so no worries there).

Wick hoody should be good for the 90% of the time its hot and sunny. I love the Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody. Its not wool but its outstanding. Super comfortable fabric really great piece for that type of hunt or fishing or whatever.

The other high country doing its thing moments its nice to have a puffy. I won't go into the high country without one.

I'd do a catalyst soft shell if you need the mid layer and it should shed enough water if it does rain or something goofy like that. Plus is very quiet.

Skip the vest you won't wear it. Bring a second pair of socks instead. Rotating every day and leaving the others out to dry is a luxury you won't regret. I prefer the OTC ones.

In summary: Tshirt (optional), Light but long sleeve and hooded shirt, Midlayer jacket that'll break the wind \ shed water and a puffy. Whatever pants fit and are somewhat quiet. Don't have to go too crazy.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Corrugate pants. I really like the Kuiu Kutana too. Eddie Bauer guide or wrangler atg/outdoor flex are some good budget options for the price, especially if you can grab a sale. All those are better than the guide lites imo. No experience with the obsidians.

Klamath. Kiln is great but I find the Klamath more versatile as a mid and an outer. It’s a bit warmer, a bit more durable, cuts the wind a bit better, still breathes, and dries pretty quick. Furnace is more of a stationary whitetail piece. I run too hot in it in all but really cold weather when moving. The new FL omen and Kuiu 240 are also good options.

Brooks vest. I’m not a huge fan of the sawtooth personally or the catalyst. Brooks will keep your core warmer on those cool mornings and at camp.
The Eddie Bauer guide pants are nice. Not completely silent but there will be opportunities during the course of the year to pick them up for half off which is a steal.