First Lite: $150 pants with free hole in the pocket

Been reading all the hype on First Lite and picked up a pair of the corrugate guide pants. Great feel, great look, great fit, but they came with a hole in the pocket. I ended up sewing it up by hand since it was time for the hunting trip. Later emailed them and received a prompt reply to ship them back for an exchange. Too much of an inconvenience, plus I've already wasted time playing home economics with my new gear. Not a terrible malfunction, though FL can join Sitka on my list of overpriced clothing that shows up already breaking down.

image2.jpeg

Hmmmm. There CS has been pretty good to me. While it sucks to have to deal with it, realistically an exchange on their dime is about the only way they can make it right. I have gotten a lot less satisfaction out of some other brands that I will let remain nameless, but First Lite and Sitka have stepped up on the rare occasion I have had an issue.

So there was a QC issue that you fixed yourself, then you used the pants on a hunt, FL offered to exchange for a brand new pair after you got back, and you’re still going to put them on the “bad list”?

Ok...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird reaction to them saying they would fix the issue. I have had great customer service from them. I would bet if you would have called them (before you sewed the pocket) and explained the issue, then stated you needed a pair by a specific date, they would have rushed delivery.

I agree with the other posts that it sounds like FL did everything right.

A buddy of mine ordered 3 things from them and all 3 had giant holes in them when he took it out of the package. He bought a wick shirt that was not sewed at the seam that had a 6in hole. Uncompaghre jacket that was ripped at the pocket and obsidians that were ripped.

I have 5 or 6 items from them and they have been great so far.

OP
menhaden_man
Definitely agree, even with Jacob above (a first world problem and and me whining)... except that FL did everything right. They could have checked their gear for holes before shipping it to my house. Hardly have time to hunt anymore, much less make bonus trips to the USPS in town. Much rather take 2 minutes to share my experience.

nickstone

WKR
I purchased an Uncompahgre a few weeks ago that had an unfinished seam in the cuff. I noticed a pretty good sized hole in it the 3rd or 4th time I wore it.

I contacted First Lite and had to pay to ship it back to them.

They sent me a replacement jacket that had non functioning cordlocks.

Both were pretty minor issues, but it's ridiculous that they didn't catch them before they shipped them out.

I probably own 15 things from them and overall I'm generally pleased. I think I have had 2 previous other warranty items- holes in a pair of allegeheny pants and also in a baselayer shirt.

To me they can share the "Best warranty you will always use" motto with vortex

OP
menhaden_man
They can keep it... the quickest way to lose someone’s respect is to waste their time. Curious who’s got the high end gear that isn’t Hollywood shit like FL and Sitka?

JeremiahH

WKR
Yup.
These companies stay competitive by designing USA and make in China and the like.
Personally I've found my pieces stitched in Vietnam are better quality than my pieces coming out of China.
Not sure of one that doesn't do it.

My kryptek stuff out of Vietnam seems to be top notch. However so do my FL Kanabs out of China.

Just never know what your gonna get.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP, use em a bit and then you can fix the stitching in the crotch too... I have a bunch of stuff from first lite that I like but their quality control is pretty lacking. I’ll still buy stuff on sale but my expectations are tempered.

Customer service takes a backseat to the all mighty dollar these days with just about every company it seems. Should have just apologized and sent a new pair for your troubles.

OP
menhaden_man
That’s what Exo did with my new pack. No complaints, no hassle, and no extra work for me - that’s real customer service!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, it's a real drag when the very first product you buy from a company has something wrong with it when you get it. It's one thing if you've bought many of their items in the past with great success and then get one bad one. But when the first is the bad one.......it's tough to give a company a second chance.

Jauwater

WKR
Yea unfortunately First Lite made my bad list as well. My first order with FL was a couple years ago. I had ordered 3 items which all received were the wrong size. It was like two, and a half weeks before I received the items back for an exchange. My second order, about 2 months ago maybe, I purchased a pair of their Uncompahgre pants, and there was dried up liquid spots all over the pants. Like someone tested out the DWR before returning. I'm not really sure what it was, but it washed out. My most recent order was like 2 weeks ago. An uncompahgre vest. Has 4 zippers on the front, using 3 different zippers, and pulls. Still waiting on the exchange. Which was disappointing considering I just got back from my hunt I ordered the jacket for. Seems to me these issues were just careless mistakes which I have a hard time swallowing. I started having the same issues with Kifaru about a year or more ago. Not bashing either company they both make great gear I think. But once I start having bad experiences I typically move on. I have had excellent success with Hill People Gear so they are the ones who get my business these days. Clothing apparel I'm considering just buying locally from here on out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seems like a minor inconvenience to me. I tend to prefer Kuiu slightly but nobody is perfect. My question is: Who’s on your “good list” for top tier clothing?

Yeah I don't know what it is, but I still like First Lite and their camo patterns considering I have had some of the same poor QC issues as mentioned above. My uncompahre puffy had missing stitching at the shoulder and which created a hole.

JeremiahH

WKR
Idk I don't think any of it is really excusable especially for the price you pay for "good" gear.

When is the last time you bought a normal pair of jeans with a hole in the pocket? Can't say that has ever happened to me.

These examples are just lack of due diligence in the QC department and not correcting the problem at the manufacturing level.

Exchanging the item is all good and everything but doesn't do anything to improve further quality issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk