First Lite 2021 Lineup-Foundry pants?

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I understand your point but I wear both of the previous generations of these pants from 95F down to sub zero. Do others not?
Depends on which pant you are talking about...maybe the Catalyst in the colder temps but the Obsidian or Corrugate are about as lightweight as they come. Unless you have a heated base layer underneath most would freeze in them in temps below freezing.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on which pant you are talking about...maybe the Catalyst in the colder temps but the Obsidian or Corrugate are about as lightweight as they come. Unless you have a heated base layer underneath most would freeze in them in temps below freezing.
I ice fish sub zero in a furnace base layer + corrugate. If I do get really cold I throw some bibs over (north branch). They are super versatile in my opinion.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I ice fish sub zero in a furnace base layer + corrugate. If I do get really cold I throw some bibs over (north branch). They are super versatile in my opinion.
ya I mean guys can wear whatever and potentially be comfortable, depends on your tolerance for discomfort. If I'm ice fishing I'm wearing solitude bibs.

My biggest gripe with pretty much all the nylon pants out there is if you get within 5 feet of a thorn or briar they are going to pull threads. I get that a lot of guys that run them are out West were there isnt as much of that potentially but I hunt the midwest a lot. Wore a pair of corrugates down in IA shed hunting a while back and after one day in the thorns they have about 500 thread pulls and my legs looked like they were inside a bag of cats. I guess my fault for thinking they would be able to take it

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
ya I mean guys can wear whatever and potentially be comfortable, depends on your tolerance for discomfort. If I'm ice fishing I'm wearing solitude bibs.

My biggest gripe with pretty much all the nylon pants out there is if you get within 5 feet of a thorn or briar they are going to pull threads. I get that a lot of guys that run them are out West were there isnt as much of that potentially but I hunt the midwest a lot. Wore a pair of corrugates down in IA shed hunting a while back and after one day in the thorns they have about 500 thread pulls and my legs looked like they were inside a bag of cats. I guess my fault for thinking they would be able to take it
Yeah, I think I understand what you are saying. I'm in MN so I have been through my fair share of plum thickets and such, but I have also been out west in the grand junction, Colorado area where everything pokes you. I think it's everywhere. There are good and bad places to wear any pants. I do think maybe a foundry version of the sawbucks would be good, but would probably be super heavy with any additional reinforcements.

I think public vs. private land plays a role too. If I'm on the national forest, I have to wade through a lot more junk, whereas on private land I typically have self managed trails and runs that I can travel on and avoid anything that is going to cause problems.

Jimbob

WKR
I think I will be shelling out the cash for a pair of these.

For warm-weather mountain hunts, a straightforward pair of hiking pants is all I need. The Marmot Arch Rock pants fit the bill very nicely.

However, for mid to late season I have been searching for the perfect pant. The sitka timberline looked promising but no side vents and very pricey up here in Canada.

The corrugated looks to be perfect.

1. Waterproof butt and knees seem great for cold wet ground.
2. Side vents to open up when hiking hard and in hotter weather.
3. comes in solid colours
4. a little cheaper than the sitka timberline

Seems like they would work in warmer weather with no base layer and the ability to dump heat. Then in colder weather add a base layer and combined with the waterproof butt and knees the pants should hold up great.

Combine the corrugate with a pair of puffy pants/rain pants /base layer and you should have a set-up that covers a BROAD range of weather.

Ravenk

FNG
If you are looking for facts about the new pants, you can check it on their website, it's all there.

j33

WKR
I think I will be shelling out the cash for a pair of these.

For warm-weather mountain hunts, a straightforward pair of hiking pants is all I need. The Marmot Arch Rock pants fit the bill very nicely.

However, for mid to late season I have been searching for the perfect pant. The sitka timberline looked promising but no side vents and very pricey up here in Canada.

The corrugated looks to be perfect.

1. Waterproof butt and knees seem great for cold wet ground.
2. Side vents to open up when hiking hard and in hotter weather.
3. comes in solid colours
4. a little cheaper than the sitka timberline

Seems like they would work in warmer weather with no base layer and the ability to dump heat. Then in colder weather add a base layer and combined with the waterproof butt and knees the pants should hold up great.

Combine the corrugate with a pair of puffy pants/rain pants /base layer and you should have a set-up that covers a BROAD range of weather.

Kuiu Axis does all of the above too... No knee pads though and lighter.

j33

WKR
The lighter weight of the axis is appealing but the hip vents look smaller and much less effective, they're also more expensive.
keep in mind First Lite Canada site doesn't include duty costs until checkout and I always get a 15% off code for Kuiu 1 item easy from them, Axis shipped here is cheaper.

I own the Axis, they're definitely a warm wear pant and I don't like wearing them until a few degrees below celcius. Great pant used them this fall down to -20C a couple days, vents did their job but like you said a longer vent would help them.

Be interesting to see how these First Lite pants fits, that's my only knock against the Axis is I find they're a bit baggy so will see how the reviews turn out first.

Jimbob

WKR
keep in mind First Lite Canada site doesn't include duty costs until checkout and I always get a 15% off code for Kuiu 1 item easy from them, Axis shipped here is cheaper.

I own the Axis, they're definitely a warm wear pant and I don't like wearing them until a few degrees below celcius. Great pant used them this fall down to -20C a couple days, vents did their job but like you said a longer vent would help them.

Be interesting to see how these First Lite pants fits, that's my only knock against the Axis is I find they're a bit baggy so will see how the reviews turn out first.

If I go to buy the axis right now it adds $40 in taxes and duty, total price is $376. First lite is charging some crazy shipping costs as well though.

Finding a discount or figuring out alternate shipping are ways to save some cash while getting things in Canada.

If I shell out $300 for pants then I want them to be exactly perfect, not just good enough. I think the Corrugate is the closest I have seen to perfect for me. Like you said fit will be a big factor in that though.

Reactions: j33

ChrisAU

WKR
Do we know when they’ll actually be out? Knee pads would have been nice turkey hunting this morning.

Billinsd

WKR
Are the corrugate foundry pants warmer or cooler than corrugate guide pants? I'd assume cooler if you open the vents?

twall13

WKR
Are the corrugate foundry pants warmer or cooler than corrugate guide pants? I'd assume cooler if you open the vents?
Pure speculation on my part not having tried them but I'd guess with the waterproof panels on the seat and knees plus the kneepads they are going to be warmer to wear in general, but like you mentioned, with the hip vents you can probably cool them down even more. To me that makes them more versatile for a wider range of temperatures and the originals were already my go to pants. I'm looking forward to trying these.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I'd guess with the waterproof panels on the seat and knees plus the kneepads they are going to be warmer to wear in general, but like you mentioned, with the hip vents you can probably cool them down even more. To me that makes them more versatile for a wider range of temperatures and the originals were ready my go to pants.
Yes, yes. I got a pair of Sitka Mountain and Timber pants and want something for warmer weather, but not hot weather. I got my Pranas for hot weather. Thanks

Heard these mentioned on their podcast this AM. Rinella said that the side zips are not vents with mesh (ala kuiu) but pass throughs. He talked about being able remove his zip side base layer thru the side zips of the new pants. Not sure if I put that in the plus or minus category relative to kuiu. I guess the likelihood of anything getting in the openings is low. Apart from doing magic tricks long Johns, I am not sure the lack of netting is a major advantage thoough.

ChrisAU

WKR
Heard these mentioned on their podcast this AM. Rinella said that the side zips are not vents with mesh (ala kuiu) but pass throughs. He talked about being able remove his zip side base layer thru the side zips of the new pants. Not sure if I put that in the plus or minus category relative to kuiu. I guess the likelihood of anything getting in the openings is low. Apart from doing magic tricks long Johns, I am not sure the lack of netting is a major advantage thoough.

Yeah I think I lean towards liking the netting, I tend to have my vents open because its hot, and when its hot here, insects are out in full force. Sitting in a tree stand with the netted vents open helps keep biting things out at least.

Also, I guess I was confused, but it appears the Obsidian Foundry pants do NOT have hip vents or knee pads?

I am interested in the Obsidian pants and will probably be ordering a pair. They solved my biggest gripes with them it seems: the durability in high wear areas and the fit.