First lite brooks down

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Well dang! At least you know now and hopfully it comes in quick for ya. And thanks a lot for the insight.

Or just spend the money on the higher quality outdoor brands that are not hunter specific like the SG mentioned above.

So I took my own advice and recently purchased a high-end mountaineering jacket from RAB. I haven't truly put it through the paces yet but the research and initial review suggests a fantastic product. It was cheaper than anything you'll find from a Kuiu or FL or Sitka, particularly because I found a good discount which those companies rarely run. The animals don't care if you're in camo and in the mid size city where I live it looks better around town not to be in camo and no non-hunters know what FL or Sitka is anyways.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
So I took my own advice and recently purchased a high-end mountaineering jacket from RAB. I haven't truly put it through the paces yet but the research and initial review suggests a fantastic product. It was cheaper than anything you'll find from a Kuiu or FL or Sitka, particularly because I found a good discount which those companies rarely run. The animals don't care if you're in camo and in the mid size city where I live it looks better around town not to be in camo and no non-hunters know what FL or Sitka is anyways.
I also looked into the RAB after reading your initial post. It was $90 cheaper on sale ($75 if you go solid colors) than the FS Brooks and very similar. However there are differences. Highlighted in the Brooks description is how they have engineered it to fit closer to the body for insulation value as well as to have more of a "shooters cut" it also sports a specially designed "underarm baffling to prevent the jacket from riding up when arms are raised" such as when glassing or holding your weapon. It also has a draw string hood that works with one handed operation (that's nice).

Comparing the two the RAB is 750 fill down the Brooks is 800. The Brooks weighs in at 11oz compared to the RAB at 17oz. Both have 2 hand pockets the Brooks also features two inside stash pockets (might throw my Sawyer Mini filter in there if its really cold). The Brooks also sports a "Drop-tail hem" that provides additional coverage to prevent drafting up the back while glassing and sitting.

It's would seem to me that the FS boys being hunters have put a lot of thought into had it functions and fits for a hunter and I am going to assume the quality is first class on both. With all this in mind I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them.

However,
I'd have to give the Brooks the nod here I just think the little details in fit and function are worth the extra $$$ and I believe just by name alone I'd expect the FS product to hold it's resale value better.

I also looked into the RAB after reading your initial post. It was $90 cheaper on sale ($75 if you go solid colors) than the FS Brooks and very similar. However there are differences. Highlighted in the Brooks description is how they have engineered it to fit closer to the body for insulation value as well as to have more of a "shooters cut" it also sports a specially designed "underarm baffling to prevent the jacket from riding up when arms are raised" such as when glassing or holding your weapon. It also has a draw string hood that works with one handed operation (that's nice).

Comparing the two the RAB is 750 fill down the Brooks is 800. The Brooks weighs in at 11oz compared to the RAB at 17oz. Both have 2 hand pockets the Brooks also features two inside stash pockets (might throw my Sawyer Mini filter in there if its really cold). The Brooks also sports a "Drop-tail hem" that provides additional coverage to prevent drafting up the back while glassing and sitting.

It's would seem to me that the FS boys being hunters have put a lot of thought into had it functions and fits for a hunter and I am going to assume the quality is first class on both. With all this in mind I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them.

However,
I'd have to give the Brooks the nod here I just think the little details in fit and function are worth the extra $$$ and I believe just by name alone I'd expect the FS product to hold it's resale value better.

The RAB jacket has a lot of those same features it’s just not marketed as heavily as the hunting gear. The cut is great and plenty of room for movement. It’s plenty long.

RAB resale is great outside the hunting community.

Increased weight is actually a good thing because it means more down fill. There are not elements on the jacket that increase weight unnecessarily. RAB is at least 750 fill if you dig into it. They just aren’t committing to 800 but there is a lot of fill in the jacket. Fill weight is the other factor in addition to fill power.

The RAB has a very highly regarded down treatment for water among high end mountaineering jackets. This is a biggie for active pursuits like hunting.

I would definitely go with the RAB even for the same price and it’s not the same price.

Last edited:

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
The RAB jacket has a lot of those same features it’s just not marketed as heavily as the hunting gear. The cut is great and plenty of room for movement. It’s plenty long.

RAB resale is great outside the hunting community.

Increased weight is actually a good thing because it means more down fill. There are not elements on the jacket that increase weight unnecessarily. RAB is at least 750 fill if you dig into it. They just aren’t committing to 800 but there is a lot of fill in the jacket. Fill weight is the other factor in addition to fill power.

The RAB has a very highly regarded down treatment for water among high end mountaineering jackets. This is a biggie for active pursuits like hunting.

I would definitely go with the RAB even for the same price and it’s not the same price.
Yeah like I said I don’t think you can go wrong either way really they’ll do what there intended for.

dog

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if anyone has compared the SG Gruman to the Kuiu super down pro? Looking at the specs they seem like they may be in the same warmth range? Thinking of something compressible to put on after hiking in to the stand to sit all day in typically 0 to 20 degrees.

OP
F
Tracking says my jacket was delivered to first lite today. I guess I’ll see how long until they ship out the xl. Going away in two weeks hope to have it by then.

I’ll report back with the fit on the xl

OP
F
Just an update. Exchanged for the xl. Exchange was fast and painless came within a couple days of them receiving it.

xl fits perfect. Love the jacket

Kotaman

WKR
I wonder if anyone has compared the SG Gruman to the Kuiu super down pro? Looking at the specs they seem like they may be in the same warmth range? Thinking of something compressible to put on after hiking in to the stand to sit all day in typically 0 to 20 degrees.

I have both. They are similar in the warmth category, but the pro is heavier due to the outside fabric. The SG also compresses better. I like them both, but if I could only have one puffy, it would be the SG. I currently use the Brooks early season, the Sitka Kelvin WS late season and the SG for everything else.

dog

Lil-Rokslider
Kotaman, thanks for the reply. Since I posted, I went ahead and bought the Grumman and pro to compare. I agree with everything you said and decided to keep the Grumman and returned the pro.