First lite brooks down

if you would like to multi layer under go for the XL, If not so much you should be good in the large would be a tight athletic fit.

Im a medium in the uncompahgre and a large in the catalyst

OP
F
I am thinking the chamberlain isn’t necessary for east coast after doing some reading. Like others have said it would be to noisy for the bow hunting we do here.
I am going to get a sanctuary for the cold and a catalyst for early season and layer under it if needed

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Camo is a different subject altogether, but for bowhunting whitetail I can't think of any down jacket that I would believe is quiet enough.

Agreed, you're going to hate the noise unless it's always windy where you bow hunt. If you layer with a soft shell or something else that's quiet over the down coat you'll be fine. That's what I do with an Eddie Bauer microtherm which is basically the same spec's as the Brooks.

OP
F
That’s what I was thinking the brooks for shed hunting and scouting. Even for bow hunting with the catalyst over it if cold. Then the sanctuary for the real cold days

if I ever plan a winter trip out west I’ll get a chamberlain

ChrisAU

WKR
Agreed, you're going to hate the noise unless it's always windy where you bow hunt. If you layer with a soft shell or something else that's quiet over the down coat you'll be fine. That's what I do with an Eddie Bauer microtherm which is basically the same spec's as the Brooks.

And it may not be enough to make a deer notice you move, but I have noticed overwhelmingly the few times this year that I’ve worn my uncompahgre vest under my Corrugate jacket rifle whitetail stand hunting that when I’m turning slowly trying to pinpoint a sound that I’m deafened by the sound of the vest. Even under a layer. This only applies to hunting in thick woods where sound is almost a more important sense than sight. I’ve noticed it to the point that I won’t wear it any more when stand hunting in the woods. Pretty sure the deer can’t hear it, but I can.

After trying the 3 in my pic I posted above I wound up with an Arc'Teryx Cerium LT Hoody btw. Couple ounces lighter than the SG. Was plenty warm at camp and glassing in well below freezing temps over light layers.

Not to hijack but I’m curious why you chose the cerium LT as it’s only slightly lighter than the SG but only has 3.4oz of 850fp down vs 5.3oz of 850fp down. Was the fit and finish better on the Arc’teryx jacket? I have a few other pieces from them so I know they make good stuff. I’m torn between these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
That’s what I was thinking the brooks for shed hunting and scouting. Even for bow hunting with the catalyst over it if cold. Then the sanctuary for the real cold days

if I ever plan a winter trip out west I’ll get a chamberlain

If you do plan on running the brooks underneath the catalyst you will want to size up on the catalyst for sure. Its an athletic fit as it is and is really tight in the sleeves and will be super annoying with the brooks under it.

ChrisAU

WKR
Not to hijack but I’m curious why you chose the cerium LT as it’s only slightly lighter than the SG but only has 3.4oz of 850fp down vs 5.3oz of 850fp down. Was the fit and finish better on the Arc’teryx jacket? I have a few other pieces from them so I know they make good stuff. I’m torn between these two.

I didn’t feel as much of a warmth difference as you’d think given those #’s. One misleading stat for the Cerium LT is the fill power. They have 3.4oz of down plus some synthetic down in high moisture areas; the arm pits, the cuffs, and below the chin if I recall correctly. So there is more insulation than 3.4 oz. I also was able to get my Caribou color Cerium (great match for hunting garb) on closeout around $200 vs the $300 Grumman.

I didn’t feel as much of a warmth difference as you’d think given those #’s. One misleading stat for the Cerium LT is the fill power. They have 3.4oz of down plus some synthetic down in high moisture areas; the arm pits, the cuffs, and below the chin if I recall correctly. So there is more insulation than 3.4 oz. I also was able to get my Caribou color Cerium (great match for hunting garb) on closeout around $200 vs the $300 Grumman.
Thats good to know as I would have guessed there would be more of a warmth difference. I'm in the same boat with the Cerium LT as we have an Arcteryx outlet store locally and you can usually find decent deals.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
I believe First Lite calls the Brooks a midlayer piece. Maybe even considering it an "active" insulation layer if I remember correctly. That would explain the 20° suggested rating for what one would otherwise describe as a fairly lightweight standalone puffy.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
SG is “Stone Glacier”...which, by the way is my favorite all around puffy. If you truly want something for late season you need to go to the “next level” and look at the Chamberlain or Sitka Kelvin WS. The only downside to those is weight and bulk. But, if you want a warm jacket, you need weight and bulk.

As a CA boy who transplanted to Scottsdale arizona... if the SG with proper layering isn’t enough to keep me warm, then I’m probably going to stay indoors. Unless it’s a draw that I absolutely cannot say no too.

Sounds whimpy but to be in the back country for a long time when it’s THAT COLD sounds very dangerous to me. And I’m very experienced with backpacking.

OP
F
Ok so looks like I will size up in the brooks and the catalyst

thanks

Last edited:
I think you’ll have a hard time layering the Brooks under the Catalyst - both are great pieces - I had both of them - the forearms in the catalyst were so tight I could only get a long sleeve tshirt under it. I’m 6’3” - 220 and the XL was perfect except for the forearms