First Lite Brooks vs Kuiu Super Down Ultra

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I am wanting to purchase a packable insulation piece to keep in my travel pack for work. I own the Brooks for hunting and I love it, but I have been looking at the Super Down Ultra because of it's weight and packability.

How do each stack up to the other? Pros and Cons for those who have tried or seen both? Thanks.

I have both. The KUIU super down is much warmer and much "puffier", but also much louder. I like having it to complement my Brooks on colder days/sits.

OP
SMOKYMTN

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I have both. The KUIU super down is much warmer and much "puffier", but also much louder. I like having it to complement my Brooks on colder days/sits.
How do you feel about the surface fabric of the Super Down Ultra? I see a lot of people say the Super Down Ultra is fragile but is it any different than the Brooks? Most folks use and abuse their garments differently, so I take it with a grain of salt but if it's comparable and not wet paper towel thin, then it should fit my daily needs.

The Super Down Ultra has more of a matte, textured, stiffer feel to it in my opinion. The Brooks down has a bit more sheen and is softer to the touch. Wouldn't be able to say which is more durable. I haven't had the Super Down long enough to test it in the field.

apnea

FNG
Kuiu Super Down seemed very fragile, sent the pants back. I’m trying the Kifaru Lost Park pants instead, which except for also having two legs are about as different from the Kuiu as it gets. The Kuiu just felt like gossamer construction to me.

Fulton

FNG
As mentioned the brooks seems not as “puffy” as a true puffy jacket, but I do love it. It’s a great warm layer you can wear under things without feeling like a balloon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2531usmc

WKR
I am wanting to purchase a packable insulation piece to keep in my travel pack for work. I own the Brooks for hunting and I love it, but I have been looking at the Super Down Ultra because of it's weight and packability.

How do each stack up to the other? Pros and Cons for those who have tried or seen both? Thanks.
The Sitka Aerolite is the new kid on the block. It would be interesting to see if anybody has a comparison of it to the Super Down Ultra or the Brooks.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m wearing my brooks right now. It’s great for early season. I was soaked with sweat. Put it on to worm up a little I would wear my chamberlain over it later. Pardon the ugly guy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 80
Not sure how the ultra could be much warmer than the brooks. Brooks has 3.5 oz of 80/20 down/synthetic fill (2.8 oz 800 fill down/0.7 oz synthetic) vs Ultra’s 2.3 oz of 850 fill…

ja2mak

FNG
If you have large arms or plan to layer underneath, you may not want the Brooks.

Lowg08

WKR
If you have large arms or plan to layer underneath, you may not want the Brooks.
I can layer a fuse/ kiln top and or Klamath/ strong fleece 260 under mine. BUT. I did size it up for this. Add a corrugate guide jacket over that and your good for awhile

EdP

WKR
The achilles heel of the Kuiu stuff is that the shells are fragile. It's also part of what makes them lighter and pack smaller. Regardless of which I am using as my outer insulation layer, I use a shell on top to protect them because I often hunt in brushy, thorn filled woods. I'd rather use one inexpensive shell that can buck the brush and thorns than have a robust shell on everything.

Last edited: