First Lite Catalyst or Solitude system?

ptwysocki

FNG
Well I was expecting some new system release with Spectre...and after being let down with that, i guess I'm back to my original dilemma...

I mainly do archery and rifle whitetail hunting in PA from October-December. Thus, temps can be variable (0-60), but oftentimes hover around 20-40. Archery is not as much stand time as most would expect, as I use a crossbow...and simply enjoy spot/stalk hunting. With that being said, I try to force myself at peak hours to sit in a stand for at least 1-2 hours.

Originally, I was sold on the Catalyst system. Seemed like I would be able to layer it up or down as needed, and it would provide me the ability to do some walking/hiking without overheating in some puffy over-insulated outfit. However, the more I look and read about it, I do wonder if it will be warm enough for those times I am not moving.

That's where I came across the Solitude (sanctuary is way too much insulation/restriction for what i want). Advertised as an all-season kit, it peaked my interest. My only concern was that it would be too bulky/hot when doing spot/stalk hunts during rifle season (late november).

So effectively, my questions was geared towards anyone with experience using these systems....and which would is more versatile for cold-mild hunts with medium moving activity.

thanks for the insight!

92xj

WKR
If you plan to be moving the solitude is going to be too hot. I can't go 100 yards without breaking a sweat in any temp. Tree stand, it's great. Moving, I layer accordingly with my catalyt set and have no complaints.

I have the solitude system and the bibs have zippers going down the entire pant to let heat out but it is more geared towards stationary/treestand hunting, like 92xj said. and thats what i use it for. I am looking at the catalyst, though, and really hoping they add a windstopping layer for next year. or anything with a windstopping layer LOL

crich

WKR
You'll need to layer under the catalyst for late fall/winter PA weather if stationary. Not sure how much or fast you move. I had the Jacket and sold it due to the lack of wind resistance. Moving I was good but once I stopped the wind cut through and chilled me. Aside from that it was a really nice jacket and quiet.

I've used both, for both active hunting and stand hunting in NY and PA.

Catalyst - I layered with multiple merino layers, puffy vest and puffy pants. I was never toasty and often chilly but it was for sure versatile from 50 - 20s. Would just shed or add depending if I was walking or sitting.

Solitude - I've only been using for a few weeks. With 3 merino layers I did get a little chilly at high 20s low 30s but it was definitely warmer than my catalyst layers. I'm not a big guy but I do like these. hand warmers in the chest pockets does wonders. This is not an ideal system to walk in, but the full leg zips and pass through pockets on the coat can let you vent and dump hest as needed. I wear currugate pants underneath these in case I want to transition from sitting to hiking. The next month or so will be the real test for weather or not I keep this system or go back to more layers.

The catalyst system is great for 40 and above. Got to do a ton of layering under there for treestand sits.

Solitude Set would be less versatile over all but should take you down to 20s.

Get a puffy vest and a couple baselayers and you will be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EGBARTSTJ

FNG
I’m also in the same dilemma can’t decide on which will be best. I did just here from first lite via Instagram message that they are coming out with a catalyst 2.0 soon. So I’m holding out for that

baz77

WKR
I’m also in the same dilemma can’t decide on which will be best. I did just here from first lite via Instagram message that they are coming out with a catalyst 2.0 soon. So I’m holding out for that
Did you see the new Catalyst Whitetail jacket and bib? I've got the set ordered should have it next week.

Ndodge

FNG
Big difference between the two for sure. For me, Solitude is only for still hunting and Catalyst for everything else.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Alberta. I own quite a few FL pieces. I own the entire Solitude system and pieces of the Sanctuary, Catalyst and Obsidian line ups.

You will cook yourself wearing the Solitude if you’re doing Spot and Stalk or Still Hunting.

If I were you I would get full Catalyst. Buy a puffy jacket and put it in your pack when you decide to sit just pull it out and put it under the FL jacket. Arc’teryx makes tons of great light weight puffies.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
So they just released the Catalyst in Spectre, and they have plans for a 2.0 this year?

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
My current thought is there will be a solitude 2.0 soon- think there’s a delay or miss with just making the new one in specter - should be a wind barrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jfitz

FNG
Ideally both. Catalyst early to mid season and solitude mid to end of season

EGBARTSTJ

FNG
I was able to get a solitude jacket in fusion, and decided to go with the uncompahgre pants to step in for the solitude bibs. I know they’re a little loud but figured they work double duty for the stand and out west.

OP
P

ptwysocki

FNG
good for you for snagging the solitude before they phased out camo for specter only...which I wasnt a fan of how they did that. I got to think western big game hunters would find value in a solitude/sanctuary jacket for super cold hunt and sits.

Anyway...I noticed the solitude jacket is 100 insulation on body and 60 on sleeve...which is the same as the uncomp jacket.

So i ended up going with the catalyst softshell and the uncomp. Thought is I could layer one under the other and effectively end up with a solitude jacket system.

plus the kalamath hoody I have I think I should be fine. Also have an old jetstream vest that is windproof that I could add if need be.

I wasn't entirely sold on the solitude vest. Without a windproof membrane on the vest I didn't see the point.

Anyhow we'll see how it runs through mid and late season still hunts.