First Lite Catalyst vs Kuiu Kenai

Wondering if anyone can give me their impressions on the two jackets. I have the Catalyst and like how quiet it is and the general design.

That being said there’s basically zero insulation, just the fleece lining.

The Kenai seems to have more insulation but curious how the Kenai compares in quietness.

Thanks for any input !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Kenai = active insulation. Goes over top of base or base + mid layer. Has DWR, but performance wise nothing like a soft shell because way more breathable and warm. The kenai is pretty thick in the chest with insulation and I can’t really actively hunt in one unless it is below freezing. Since it doesn’t resist wind all that well, I find it more specialized and less of an all around piece. When you’re active and it’s cold, it’s a super good piece.

The way the catalyst is cut, it’s really for replacing a mid layer fleece. You can get an R1 under it, for example, but it does better as something you wear dawn to dusk over a base layer and don’t take it off. Although heavier, this over a fleece could replace using the kenai, for example, while being less breathable but more weather resistant.

Although a bit nosier, I actually like the arcteryx atom Lt hoody because it has breathable side panels yet blocks the wind on back and chest like a vest. But that’s just me and what I find more applicable most of the time for my use.

Hoodie

WKR
I can't speak to the First Lite, but the Kenai is about as quiet as I think a puffy can be made. It's probably not warm enough to be standalone insulation a lot of the time (maybe in the early season depending on where you're at), but it's quiet. I sometimes regret getting rid of mine.

If you're looking for quiet and warm, don't rule out fleece. A lot of mountaineering clothing companies make decently warm fleece jackets that aren't too heavy, as long as camo isn't a necessity for you. I didn't put my Kenai through the ringer but I can't imagine it would have the durability of fleece.

It's all trade-offs.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if anyone can give me their impressions on the two jackets. I have the Catalyst and like how quiet it is and the general design.

That being said there’s basically zero insulation, just the fleece lining.

The Kenai seems to have more insulation but curious how the Kenai compares in quietness.

Thanks for any input !

My Kenai comes in Thursday. I'll check back in then of no one has chimed in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thanks all so far. I’ve been wearing the Catalyst with a puffy vest underneath when it’s been cold (single digits). It still gets a little chilly after awhile so was considering the Kenai and possibly layering underneath if it’s real cold

H80Hunter

WKR
I’m like a broken record posting this but in winter in Wisconsin, I’m outside all the time (doing things other than hunting too) and my standard setup is wick crew merino top, grid fleece, Patagonia nano air (very similar to the kenai) and a catalyst jacket over that. That setup is so breathable and comfortable it seems to keep me comfortable in a wide range of temperatures.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
The Kenai is super duper quiet - basically silent. It is made to keep you warm while being active, not stationary, in cold temperatures.

That being said you could still use it while stationary to bridge the gap between hoody weather and "insulated heavy jacket" weather.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk