First Lite Chamberlain?

dalth22

FNG
Hey everyone, I'm new here and I know the puffy jacket subject has been talked about ad nauseam, however I am mainly wondering about the pack capability of the First Lite Chamberlain. At its weight of 25 oz I wonder if it is just a better idea to go with something more like the Brooks or the SG Grumman which both weigh around 11 oz. Just wondering what some of you guys thought, thanks!

bigherm

FNG
Hey everyone, I'm new here and I know the puffy jacket subject has been talked about ad nauseam, however I am mainly wondering about the pack capability of the First Lite Chamberlain. At its weight of 25 oz I wonder if it is just a better idea to go with something more like the Brooks or the SG Grumman which both weigh around 11 oz. Just wondering what some of you guys thought, thanks!
If you’re priority is packability, the Grumman is the clear choice. Nothing better when weight and warmth is factored in. It’s like holding a feather and is really warm. Now if you’re in freezing temps you’ll need a solid base and mid layer paired with the Grumman as it’s not the warmest puffy out there, but warmer ones weigh more like the Chamberlin. If you know by looking at the forecast it’s going to be really cold, I’d take the Chamberlin because who cares about weight if you’re sitting or glassing, getting cold can end a hunting trip quick. The Chamberlin is the warmest jacket I’ve worn and have sat in negative wind chill temps for hours happy as a clam. It can be stuffed up to the size of a football too. My suggestion is to get a mid weight puffy like the FL brooks or Sitka kelvin down hoody or Grumman for 90% of hunts and then a don’t freeze your tail off emergency cold puffy like the Chamberlin or Sitka WS down for hunts you know will be cold as hell. That’s just my preference - good base, mid puffy or heavy puffy in the pack based off forecast, and rain shell. Good luck.

OP
dalth22

dalth22

FNG
Thanks for the response. I think I am leaning towards the Grumman considering I am not doing an abundant amount of late season hunting. With the rest of the system I have, if I throw the Grumman in my pack I should be plenty covered I'm thinking. I like the Chamberlain as well and may get it eventually for late season extreme cold weather. It is good to know how small you can get it.

Superdoo

WKR
If you’re priority is packability, the Grumman is the clear choice. Nothing better when weight and warmth is factored in. It’s like holding a feather and is really warm. Now if you’re in freezing temps you’ll need a solid base and mid layer paired with the Grumman as it’s not the warmest puffy out there, but warmer ones weigh more like the Chamberlin. If you know by looking at the forecast it’s going to be really cold, I’d take the Chamberlin because who cares about weight if you’re sitting or glassing, getting cold can end a hunting trip quick. The Chamberlin is the warmest jacket I’ve worn and have sat in negative wind chill temps for hours happy as a clam. It can be stuffed up to the size of a football too. My suggestion is to get a mid weight puffy like the FL brooks or Sitka kelvin down hoody or Grumman for 90% of hunts and then a don’t freeze your tail off emergency cold puffy like the Chamberlin or Sitka WS down for hunts you know will be cold as hell. That’s just my preference - good base, mid puffy or heavy puffy in the pack based off forecast, and rain shell. Good luck.
Extremely well explained!
I have the Sitka WS for when I know it’s going to be damn cold and I bring the Costco special puffy when it won’t be damn cold.
Damn cold to me is 10 and below.

Ramblr

FNG
I've been looking the Grumman and Arcteryx Cerium LT recently. Both nice.

I could layer the SG in my normal size, but I had to size up in the Arc.

I have always thought about getting a chamberlain, but got a deal on a brooks. Recently it was cold enough to layer the brooks under my uncompaghre and that combo was legit .

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
This is 100% it. The Chamberlin is on a different level when it comes to warmth. But it isn't the jacket I'm backpacking with. I use my Chamberlin for late season hunts where I'm going to be glassing for hours and moving but not where I need to count ounces.

If I'm going back country, I'll typically layer with a Grumman (or similar) and a rain shell. It's not as warm as a Chamberlin but it works.

OP
dalth22

dalth22

FNG
Interesting. I have an uncompahgre so I wonder if I could get away with something like this too. Maybe even later the uncompahgre and Grumman in extreme cold.

LJ Buck

WKR
Look at Sitka puffy they came out with last year. I liked more then the Grumman for sure. It is truly a backpacking puffy.