First Lite Chamberlin Help

rbi2210

FNG
Greetings all. I’ve been reading, following, and gaining valuable knowledge for years from these forums but this is my first post. I’ve searched high and low but I can’t find an answer to my question. I purchased the first lite sanctuary set 2 years ago for bowhunting in an effort to stay warm when the temps dip below freezing. I love the jacket for these conditions and will continue to use it for this application. Although much lighter and less bulky than cold weather clothing from Cabela’s, it is still somewhat heavy. I’ve been wanting a lighter weight setup for stand hunting in rifle season. I have my heart set on the first lite chamberlin down jacket at less than half the weight of the sanctuary. I know I am comparing 2 completely jackets intended for 2 entirely different purposes but my question is……how does the chamberlin compare to the sanctuary in terms of warmth? It is not extremely often but I have hunted days where highs were in the mid teens in rifle season and late season flintlock here in Northeast PA. Thank you in advance.

I sold my Sanctuary jacket after I season with it. I didn’t find it all that warm, especially once you add in some wind. I used my Chamberlin last year on the first day of rifle season sitting in a stand with my wife. I don’t remember the exact temp but it was very cold (for once on the first day). All I had on under it was a cabelas thermal zone base layer. I packed the jacket in as I do all my warmer jackets. I am very happy with the Chamberlin for treestand hunting and will continue to use it. I am in NW PA. If you have any other questions feel free to message me

I have both. Have never considered using the chamberlain for stand hunting whitetails, I've only used it late season out west. I don't think it's as warm but that's just a gut feeling. There isn't much for insulation in the arms of the chamberlain. Main reasons the sanctuary is better for Whitetail stand hunting to me:
1. It's quieter
2. The hand pockets are money. You don't need big bulky gloves that don't play nice with triggers since you can just put a handwarmer in the pocket and put your bare hands in them.
3. Face fabric is less likely to shred in the brush even if it isn't exactly durable in it's own right. If it shreds, i'd rather have synthetic than feathers pouring out.
4. It's warmer

Last edited:
OP
R

rbi2210

FNG
Thanks for the replies. It appears split between the two. My thinking was that if the Chamberlin was as warm as the Sanctuary I would get it since it’s half the weight and I hate wearing heavy clothing. Brush isn’t a concern as it would only be used in the stand. Noise isn’t a concern rifle hunting for me as my stand is an elevated box stand in the middle of a field so I see deer long before they get into hearing range. I have an older Cabela’s berber extreme parka which I consider much warmer than my Sanctuary but that thing is HEAVY so I don’t wear it anymore.

I own a chamberlain now. Ive been considering a sanctuary for bow hunting. I can't compare the two but I can comment on the Chamberlains warmth. Its a great jacket, its super warm on my Idaho hunts down to 10-20 degrees. But I am worried about it ripping in brush. I do often wear a FL vapor rain coat over it to keep it dry and that is more brush resistant but at the cost I still am careful. And being careful with my clothing while hunting is a real pain. None the less its warm, its super packable and I never go out without it stuffed in my backpack.

In reference to the Idaho hunts, what type of hunting are you referring to? Stationary or mobile?
If your question was for me Id say both. I keep mine in my pack to throw on when sitting and glassing, or in a blind or stand. I also stalk with it, but I make sure to wear a vapor rain cover or make sure not to completely drag it through the thorns and brush. Its not as delicate as people make it out, but I also dont want to rip a 400 dollar coat.

OP
R

rbi2210

FNG
I know some guys claim to hunt in 20 degrees with just a hoody on but let’s assume we are talking about an average person who has an average tolerance to the cold. Assuming there is a steady 15mph wind, approximately what temperature would the Chamberlin (with moderate layering) be good down to for an 8 hour sit.

mwh624

FNG
with a 15mph wind, I'd say it's a 20-30 degree jacket with a thin wool base layer and a Sitka Equinox hoody underneath.

It's a really nice jacket but it's not a stand hunting, whitetail jacket. The shell is far too thin to brush up against a tree and hold up. It'd also be crazy noisy.

A better solution is a heavy filled 550 or 650 down jacket (lower compressibility than 800 down so it lofts better under layers) under a Sitka Stratus or equivalent type jacket.

I use to run that setup into the teens.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I know some guys claim to hunt in 20 degrees with just a hoody on but let’s assume we are talking about an average person who has an average tolerance to the cold. Assuming there is a steady 15mph wind, approximately what temperature would the Chamberlin (with moderate layering) be good down to for an 8 hour sit.

“Moderate layering” will determine, but somewhere between 30-40° for true comfort.

Shraggs

WKR
Couple years ago we set up on a clearing the last hour or so of daylight. Single digits and blowing snow. Important, I had base layer, thin wool sweater and a fl sawtooth. No problem with those layers for 90 minutes throwing that on top with hat and hood up. 8 hours of no activity to generate heat in same conditions, no. If I had to, I would definitely need to stand stretch walk a few steps etc once an hour to circulate blood and snack.

take a look at the new skre jacket its a little lighter than the sanctuary and its water and windproof also has really big front pockets

Lowg08

WKR
I wore my chamberlain all during deer season. From a saddle and bow hunting. No noise issue never was blown through and no holes. Only put it on at the stand and take off before walking out. 250 base Klamath and chamberlain. If going to be below 20 just add a heavy fleece jacket under it.