First Lite Chamberlin

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I’m tired of getting chilled when glassing. I think I’ve pretty much decided on the chamberlin puffy.
How does it pack down? How warm is it really? And how windproof is it? Just looking for a few opinions on it.

It’s super warm and from my experience is pretty wind resistant, but if the wind is whipping too much I usually throw on my seak rain jacket to help block wind. As far as compressing or packing it is very bulky and takes up a lot of room even compressing down as small as possible. I’ve thought about getting a small sea to summit stuff sack to help contain it. I think it’s worth it and usually pack it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
If you are in stout wind, you can definitely feel the difference between the body and arms( body is box baffled, arms sewn through). I really like mine for later season stuff. It will be my later season puffy until it fails. It packs small enough that I can justify it. It's not small, but warmth to weight is good for me.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
IM following this one as well. I thought about adding a brooks sweater or vest to my Uncompadre puffy....OR getting the Chamberlin and packing it instead of the other 2 items for my puffy jacket layer.

It's a damn warm jacket, been using it for 2 years on late hunts and haven't felt the need to layer over/under it due to wind. Sheds snow fall pretty good. It's also bulky and relatively heavy. I get tired of it filling up my pack space and often debate using a different puffy that packs down better. Many times I'll just strap it to the outside of my pack to preserve inside space. That said, when it's single-digits or worse, it lets me glass in comfort mostly while my hunting partner is doing air-squats to warm up. In that moment, it's worth it to me....then it warms up to maybe 30+ degrees later in the day and/or I've been hiking (or packing out a deer) with the coat in my bag and the inner conflict returns until the temps drop once again. The struggle is real, as they say.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It’s a warm coat and a bit bulky in the pack. I stuff it in with my sleeping bag and sleeping pad in a stuff sack. Don’t lean against any trees rocks too hard wearing it. Arms and pits get cold if the wind really picks up.

It will keep you pretty damn warm for the price. Stepping up to the next level of quality and warmth starts to get real expensive.

I love mine. 15 degrees or colder western hunting or 30 or colder stand hunting out east it goes in the bag. Above those temps I’ll take the umcompaghre for weight savings. I bought it after a miserable week in Montana with consistent single digit temps. It’s an absolute furnace... I really could lighten my sleeping bag (0 degree Kodiak) and just wear it to bed along with a lighter bag or quilt.

It is bulky, but it has great warmth to weight ratio. Seems to shed snow ok. It is thin, and can rip easy, but that weight savings has to come from somewhere. I usually throw it in my pack to get to my tree stand, even though my treestand is 200 yards from the back door.

My wife absolutely loves it and has pretty much stolen it from me when I’m not using it for hunting. Even though it’s my go to around town winter coat as well.

Bottom line it’s a great tool to have in the toolbox... It was a great purchase.

A note on sizing, I’m a medium in the older umcompoghre and had to jump to a large for the Chamberlan. It’s got a bit of a tighter cut. I’m 5’9” 185 lbs.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody know why they chose to have sewn through construction in the arms instead of baffle construction like the rest of the jacket?