First Lite for Elk Hunt?

Planning for my elk hunt to Utah in September...Buying gear I need or think I need, looking for input. Most of my hunting gear that fits me is for cold weather so I need some moderate weather stuff. Planning on buying a pair of cheap cotton bdu pants/jacket for backup. I know cotton kills, it's in case it's real hot. I'll probably bring my Michigan November "cold" wool stuff in case as well. But I was planning on first lite corrugate jacket and pants. I'm a cheap skate, so I'm having a hard time justifying dropping almost $300 on clothes. I know good stuff is important and I can afford it, I'm just cheap and have trouble spending money I don't have too. I do 1-2 western hunts a year, and hunt here in Michigan a ton, so it'll see use. Tell me what you think.

Bl704

WKR
I'm a fan of the corrugate pants, but not soft shell coats. The coat is a bit loud for my liking and though stretchy and tough, the corrugate material does snag some on sticks, briers and I'm not chancing grabbing my bow string.

My kit includes the old llano light merino zip, and a Halstead (waffle fleece). Base layers of its cold, light rain jacket and puffy just in case foul weather.

First light is good stuff. I might go with the lights for the pants. You will find some good sales on Kuiu, Sitka and FL if you look around. Buy used, camofire and Sierra Trading Post are good places to start.

Superdoo

WKR
Those types of coats (if you can call them that) don't have a place in my layering system for any time of year. What's the point of an outer layer that doesn't block wind, doesn't insulate and isn't waterproof?
I had a Dallibor and every time I used it, I thought this thing is pointless!

OP
C
I'm a fan of the corrugate pants, but not soft shell coats. The coat is a bit loud for my liking and though stretchy and tough, the corrugate material does snag some on sticks, briers and I'm not chancing grabbing my bow string.

My kit includes the old llano light merino zip, and a Halstead (waffle fleece). Base layers of its cold, light rain jacket and puffy just in case foul weather.
are the pants loud?

because of the material?
It is just a great lite weight layering piece. Warm for weight, dries fast, hood for head and ears.

When warmish i wear it top layer and when colder layer over it. Always in pack. After a sweaty climb put it on to keep chill off or remove shirt to dry and put it on. However it is not a coat.

I carry the kiln, puffy and rain coat. Can handle most with these.

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
Drop the corrugate guide jacket, go with a good puffy and either kiln or grid fleece mid layer. There is great cheap options for mid layer if you want to solids instead of camo.
My first elk hunt I wore corrugate guide pants, wick hoody and kiln. I’d suggest the grid fleece over kiln, I think the fleece is warmer option.

TomJoad

WKR
I haven’t used FL corrugate but was very disappointed with my obsidian pants from them I tried this year. I opened up three holes in a single backpack hunt this year. Patched them and opened up two holes in three days of eastern plains hunting CO. Just not up for the task.

Not sure how much time you have spent recreating at altitude in the west as I know you said you come out for 1-2 hunts a year, but just don’t do cotton. I know you said your plan is only for warm weather, but that’s where that old adage comes from, hikers in the middle of summer that don’t realize storm systems at elevation can mean 80 can shift to a wet low 40s with little warning. I love cotton and I always have a nice clean cotton long sleeve and some comfortable denim for driving to and from my hunt location, but it never under any circumstances leaves the truck in the mountains. For back-up anything synthetic is fine, poly or nylon. Check out basic hiking pants from a discounter like Sierra trading post if you want to stay on a budget.

I had a great experience with the Corrugate Guide pants. The pants were not loud, very quiet if you are moving slowly. They were cool during extremely warm days in the 80's F, and you can easily layer underneath them with a merino wool base layers. They held up well while crawling over deadfall and snagging on branches. Pay attention to the recommended size charts when purchasing.

EDIT: And I would consider buying them in non-camo color pattern so you can wear them during non-hunting activities. This will help justify the money spent on them.

prm

WKR
I would just plan a layering system and then buy to that. Individual pieces are fine but if they don't work together you'll waste money and add weight/bulk. Ask me how I know...lol.

Here's what I have settled on for many CO early Oct through Nov hunts. Those with the * I am probably wearing on the hike in (i.e. all the time). Other than the puffy jackets, my extra clothes fit into a very small ultralight bag. This is just an example of a system, you can tweak for a September hunt (suggestions in paranthesis).

Bottoms:
*Darn tough socks
*Exofficio underwear
*First Lite merino wool base
*Prana Zion pants

Top:
*First lite Aerowool base
*Kuiu Peleton 240 hoody (Substitute with FL Ridgeline QZ)
Arcteryx Atom lite puffy (Substitute with FL Uncompahgre 2.0 puffy)
Kifaru Lost Park Parka

Rain:
Older style Kuiu rain jacket

Extras:
One extra pair of socks
One extra pair of underwear
Silkweight base layer top

If it's going to be really cold:
Puffy pants
One pair thin liner socks

Last edited:

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t used FL corrugate but was very disappointed with my obsidian pants from them I tried this year. I opened up three holes in a single backpack hunt this year. Patched them and opened up two holes in three days of eastern plains hunting CO. Just not up for the task.

Not sure how much time you have spent recreating at altitude in the west as I know you said you come out for 1-2 hunts a year, but just don’t do cotton. I know you said your plan is only for warm weather, but that’s where that old adage comes from, hikers in the middle of summer that don’t realize storm systems at elevation can mean 80 can shift to a wet low 40s with little warning. I love cotton and I always have a nice clean cotton long sleeve and some comfortable denim for driving to and from my hunt location, but it never under any circumstances leaves the truck in the mountains. For back-up anything synthetic is fine, poly or nylon. Check out basic hiking pants from a discounter like Sierra trading post if you want to stay on a budget.

I had same issue. I was very disappointed one archery season and they were totaled. Made me feel like I was spending to much on hunting clothing. I did send them back but have not heard yet if they will replace.

ndayton

WKR
I had same issue. I was very disappointed one archery season and they were totaled. Made me feel like I was spending to much on hunting clothing. I did send them back but have not heard yet if they will replace.
I've had both the Kanab 2.0 and the Obsidian and had durability issues with torn pant legs and ripped out crotches. I switched to the Corrugate Guide pants back in 2018 and have used them from early elk to late mule deer without issue.
Personally I would steer clear of wool outer layers

Bl704

WKR
are the pants loud?
I get some swishing. The cut is rather generous, compared to some other brands. Not much of an issue elk hunting, but if you're stalking alert animals you're going to have some 'swishing' noise. Maybe a trade off for more of a knapped fabric that is quieter but not as durable.

Since I live in the SE, my corrugate pants are used for my western and local hunts...so sitting a stand for deer in the SE is a non-issue...

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both the Kanab 2.0 and the Obsidian and had durability issues with torn pant legs and ripped out crotches. I switched to the Corrugate Guide pants back in 2018 and have used them from early elk to late mule deer without issue.
Personally I would steer clear of wool outer layers

Thanks,
I actually just got an email that they sent me a new pair of the obsidian pants. Considering how ripped they were that is good customer service. However they aren’t going to replace them again. Maybe I will sell them and get some currugate

Hate that you all had bad experiences with the obsidian pants. I’ve not had any durability issues with mine and I love them. Thought they were perfect for September and worked well in a wide range of temperatures. Quiet; love the cut. I only have one season in them so maybe Wyoming will tear them up this year!

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Hate that you all had bad experiences with the obsidian pants. I’ve not had any durability issues with mine and I love them. Thought they were perfect for September and worked well in a wide range of temperatures. Quiet; love the cut. I only have one season in them so maybe Wyoming will tear them up this year!
I loved them for hunting for the first season. Knees and butt both wore very thin I didn’t realize until we got to Arizona, this year tore them up bad. By end of our hunt I was basically wearing shorts and my boxers where showing. I Looked like a back country hobo

Austink47

WKR
The guide pants are great, but for warm archery the Prana zions are my go to, much cooler and quieter. Also have the old Chama hoody and it is one of my all time favorites. Super versatile.

OP
C
Thanks for the input. Ended up getting corrugate pants, and realized I have a hoody that will work, and have a puffy, and my heavy wool if it's too cold. Think my wife will get corrugate pants and kiln hoody unless she wants something else.