First Lite Furnace

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
On my Colorado archery elk hunt this year we spent a lot of time hunting water holes and, coming from the southeast, my body was not used to the cold in early Sept and I nearly froze to death a couple mornings. I vowed that I would not let this happen again and did a good bit of research here and it was very helpful. I bought pieces by Sitka, Kuiu and First Lite. And with deer season here at home I have had a chance to use some of the clothing and it has all performed well. But the First Lite Furnace has really impressed me more than any other single piece of hunting clothing I own. I still can not understand how something so comparatively lightweight can be so warm. I wear it as a mid layer and it has eliminated the need for wearing heavier, much more bulky clothing. A medium weight fleece pullover used next to skin with the Furnace over it and then a light jacket will allow me to sit in a tree stand in the 20's. After New Year's we switch from deer to ducks and I know the Furnace will be perfect for cold days standing in freezing water.

Jo83ben

FNG
My buddy has the furnace and it’s definitely on my list now. I can’t believe how thick that thing is. It literally feels like it’d be a furnace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I can't imagine how warm a top and bottom set would be if used next to skin underneath something like a Fanatic jacket/bibs. Thankfully, it doesn't get that cold in Virginia but would be the cats meow in the upper Midwest or anywhere with frigid temps.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I absolutely love my Furnace LJs. I'm looking at pulling the trigger on one of the Furnace tops. Anyone have or tried both the QZ and Henley? I'm usually a QZ guy but was leaning towards trying the Henley, but It might also be nice to have that zippered pouch on the QZ.

tdhanses

WKR
I absolutely love my Furnace LJs. I'm looking at pulling the trigger on one of the Furnace tops. Anyone have or tried both the QZ and Henley? I'm usually a QZ guy but was leaning towards trying the Henley, but It might also be nice to have that zippered pouch on the QZ.
I have the henley, love it. Don’t think you can go wrong either way really.

playnsea

Lil-Rokslider
Love them, used on late season sheep hunt. Very warm and comfortable.

I am curious about the tops……. Is fleece a better option than a heavy Merino piece like the furnace?

Broomd

WKR
Gonna look into the furnace, appreciate the comments here. I've always been a sucker for the 1/4 zip styles anyway.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the Furnace QZ top and zip-off boot top bottoms. Great gear for when it gets really cold. Suuuper warm but still manages higher activity well. I just find myself going to the kiln's more often, especially for the bottoms.

Mid Sept-mid/late October in wyo high country, I'm running wick base, kiln mid, and a grid fleece hoody over top and take stuff off and on as needed. Then a down puffy and rainshell for when it gets real incliment. Then I used Kuiu pro pants, usually no bottom baselayer. If I was going to have a really cold glassing session but warmer mid day, the down puffy pants made it into my pack. If it were to get below 15 for longer periods where I'd be moving, I'd use the kilns base bottoms, and puffy pants over that for toasty glassing.

Then mid october through 4th co rifle season, I moved to wick base, furnace mid, grid fleece hoody, then puffy/rainshell over. Love that setup. I also used the new FL catalyst foundry pants this year - super impressed. When I needed another base layer bottom, I went to the kiln, not furnace though. The furnace is just a little too hot for any movement under the catalyst foundry pants, even down to the teens and single digits. Maybe I'd use the furnace bottoms more if my late season pants were colder, if I was running mid-season pants into the late season, or if I needed base bottoms to replace puffy pants for glassing sessions.

Furnace is great gear - very warm but still great temp. control considering how warm they are. But if one was looking to minimize the number of pieces to buy, I just know my kilns (especially bottoms) get used more than my furnace and are a better fit for more of my hunting scenarios. Kiln bottoms and furnace top might be my recommendation. If I was stand hunting, furnace all the way though! haha.

Love my furnace set. Under the solitude set for whitetail or under the ice fishing gear. It’s to hot for September elk!

OP
G

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. 100%.

A fleece will breathe better, be warmer and dry faster all at a lower weight than a heavy merino.
I am a huge fan of fleece and have everything from microfleece to heavyweight tops from several manufacturers. I wear fleece just about every day for work and play from mid-fall through spring. But when I am outside and it is cold I always wear my Furnace top as my mid-layer. It is a little heavier but it is a LOT warmer than any fleece top that I own and it's not even close. We are duck hunting now and it is perfect for keeping me warm while standing in freezing water in my waders. My furnace top is my favorite single piece of hunting clothing that I own.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the furnace top to wear as a treestand baselayer, the heavier merino was a little ichty on my chest, a problem I never have had with my 200 weight fuse top, but I just made the furnace my mid layer over a lighter base and it is definitely a warm peice

Noodlestheshaman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve recently got a pair of the bottoms in conifer and have been using them around the farm. Very happy and warm under a pair of lined carhartt pants while working in 10 degree weather !