First lite gear list

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
For those who use, like, love, and/or are familiar with first lite gear... if you were to pick or feel you have picked the ideal all around clothing system for September archery elk season with temps ranging from 30°-80° that would allow you to have everything you need for the possible temps/weather in this season what would it be and why? I'm balls deep in fl gear and my wife probably sends them hate mail but I'm also very new to technical clothing systems and wanted to see if theres a pattern of something that lots of guys feel they cant live without or found very useful in September that I'm missing. Thanks for your time!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Dang a ton of people who took the time to read my post but nobody has anything to say about their preference of first lite clothing for the September season?

JD619er

WKR
Hopefully some other fellas will chime in. As for me in September in Montana my kit is pretty simple.
Wick 150 t shirt
Wick 150 hoody
Klamath hoody
Marmot down jacket
Outdoor research foray rain jacket.
Prana zions
one heavyweight beanie for sleeping in
Fingerless gloves
One extra pair of socks
The only time I bring longhandles is when it's going to be super cold at night and I'll sleep in them under my pants
I could honestly do without the gloves and the short sleeve shirt but they're comfort items for me. I like to hike in short sleeve but hunt in a long sleeve. I also have an uncompahgre but the down jacket is lighter, warmer and compresses better.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wick shirt - I like the hoody or the 1/4 zip with no hood.
Fuse - 1/4 zip hoody or Henley style
Klamath hoody
Sawtooth vest
Puffy - uncompahgre or chamberlain (bad weather)
Vapor stormlight or SEAK rain jacket
Rain pants if applicable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
Mine is October Colorado but you get the gist, covers single digits to hot conditions, and I'm nearly an all FL guy. I really feel that this system covers me pretty well.

Top:
FL Wick 150 S/S - I have a L/S, S/S, and 1/4 Zip L/S, I'll probably be rocking the S/S as my base. But I run hot.
FL Kiln 250 Hoody - for when I get chilly, which will be rare when moving. I like the hood, and I'm by far not a hood guy.
FL Chamberlain - only for sitting still. IF forecast doesn't call for it to get below 35-40* at elevation, I'll probably bring Brooks instead.
FL Vapor Stormlight Rain Jacket - for when it might get wet or really windy.

Bottom:
Kuiu Zip-Off Merino 145 - Really wish FL would get on board here, I just can't get past the convenience of the Kuiu.
FL Corrugate Guides - Love the pockets and suspenders.
FL Uncompahgre Puffy Pants - see notes on Chamberlain above.
Kuiu Teton Rain Pants - they were cheap and light, only wear in extreme circumstances.

Head:
FL Aerowool Neck Gaiter - can pull it over back of head and face if needed.
FL Tundra Balaclava - awesome, awesome piece for when you feel all of your body heat leaking out of your dome.
FL Tag cuff beanie - for going over the cap when walking in the cold.

Hands:
FL Talus fingerless - the go to, the bomb diggity, surprisingly warm.
FL Talus full finger - so excited for these. My system now will be the fingerless normal, and if its extra cold the full finger on under the fingerless. If I need more warmth than that I'll make a fire or put my hands in my pockets.

Feet:
Injinji Liners - no blisters. I used to get them between my toes. These solve that.
FL Moutain Athlete Triad socks - best overall FL sock IMO.

ofl0926

WKR
so here is my pack list for my first NOV elk hunt for 9 days

2x Aerowool long sleeve zip shirt
Corrugate pants or kanabs
sawtooth jacket or Halstead fleece
Chama
Fuze long john
Kifaru puffy or First lite Uncompahgre
neck gaiter
Cuffed beanie
4x socks
Talus fingerless gloves
grizzly mitts
liner glove
3-4 boxer briefs
Badlands rain gear

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you to all that replied. Seems like I have about all I need at this point other than adding a sawtooth. I'm stuck between a vest or full jacket though so that I will have to figure this out.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you to all that replied. Seems like I have about all I need at this point other than adding a sawtooth. I'm stuck between a vest or full jacket though so that I will have to figure this out.

I’m a vest fan. To me the sawtooth replaces a fleece and I love the Klamath. But the vest I can wear over a base layer or over a fleece layer. More versatile for me but I know a boat load of people who love the sawtooth jacket and prefer it over a fleece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk