First Lite guys...

snopro176

WKR
I'm looking at stepping into some FL items but unsure how the fabric is. I'm from CA so bow hunts can be 90° and my usual general rifle is rarely below 30°. What would you guys get to cover that range? I have a ton of kuiu so if you can compare to that, that would make more sense to me than anything. I recently tried on some obsidian pants and was blown away, I didn't think I could find pants more comfortable than my kuiu stuff but, low and behold..

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
My strategy

Hot weather - Kanabs/obsidian with aerowool top.

Cooler/Colder - guide pants with or without allegheny bottoms. Top aerowool, chama, halstead, uncompagre and Woodbury layering system that varies depending on the weather and hunt type.

16Bore

WKR
Kanabs/merino wool on the bottom. Then a thin merino 1/4 zip, Chama Hoody, fleece, primaloft shell up top. Rain gear packed. Peel away layers as needed. Only the Kanabs and chama are FL, everything else is just pieces/parts of whatever fit or was on sale at the time. I do have a pair of Mountain Hardwear soft shell/fleece lined pants that I sewed tabs on for the FL suspenders and use them as bibs when it's really cold. Dang, I guess I really do have a "system"

Reckon it could be a total FL show if I were inclined.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
See, I've been told the kanabs are warmer than the guides, even compared the guides to kuiu alpine fabric, aka light weight. Which is fine, just confusing. I figured the Merino pants would be ideal in the hot seasons.

16Bore

WKR
Don't know anything about Kuiu stuff. Merino breathes/wicks. Don't know about the other. Nylon gets a bit warm, but noisy. Dunno, started in jeans and cotton long johns as a kid and either froze my ass off or sweated my balls off. Sometimes both....

What we've got today is light years beyond that and has been made rather complicated.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
You'll be okay in either pant, for me it hasn't really made a difference in hit weather. I do like my kanabs a lot though. Definitely aerowool tops, they are awesome in the heat.

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
I live in my Kanab pants and a llano qz in hot weather. The Kanab pants are not hot imo, but I haven't tried the corrugate pants. I avoid synthetics. My only warning would be that if you ever get into spines or other pokey brush, the pants offer little protection. I have never torn mine, but I'd imagine wool will tear easier than synthetic. I don't worry about it though, as it's super easy to patch small tears.

First Lite had treated me great, so good luck.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I'm looking at stepping into some FL items but unsure how the fabric is. I'm from CA so bow hunts can be 90° and my usual general rifle is rarely below 30°. What would you guys get to cover that range? I have a ton of kuiu so if you can compare to that, that would make more sense to me than anything. I recently tried on some obsidian pants and was blown away, I didn't think I could find pants more comfortable than my kuiu stuff but, low and behold..

the obsidian is a great pant that can get you into cooler temps with the right layering... the llano and chama are great add ons for tops

if you need fl help feel free to contact us and we can help

FL doesnt really have anything that can compare to the kuiu tiburon in terms of a breathable hot weather pant, but it wont be as warm in lower temps bc it breathes so well. their aerowool is definitely better than the kuiu 125 in 90 degree plus temps though

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
My strategy

Hot weather - Kanabs/obsidian with aerowool top.

Cooler/Colder - guide pants with or without allegheny bottoms. Top aerowool, chama, halstead, uncompagre and Woodbury layering system that varies depending on the weather and hunt type.

This is the same system i use hunting CA A zone which can get into the 100's. With the kanabs. I dont have the obsidian pants...yet.

Also same setup i use during rifle D zones, with the exception of the woodbury. I stop at uncomp. Puffy and use the seek rain jacket for outter layer to cut the wind.

choovhntr

WKR
^^^ +1. I wear the same thing in a zone archery. Has been great. Buddy wears the tiburons and really likes them as well. I do agree with the sticker/ thistle comment but it's not terrible. More annoying than anything else. One could always throw in a lightweight gator if they are really bad.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Thanks for the input guys, glad to hear some guys dealing with the struggles of the northern California heat! The aerowool tops are that badass huh?

NDGuy

WKR
I had the Kanabs last year in a bowstand in November I wouldn't say they are a static hunting pant. Got a bit chilly but didn't layer much.

Both those and the guides would be an active pant for cooler temps tho.