First Lite help

Guys I was a huge kuiu fan for the very beginning when the shop first opened and met Jason at the shop great guy. Nothing agains them other then the latest lack of consistency is sizing but I have really started to love my FL base layers and starting to look at their outerwear now. What would you guys say would be comparable to kuiu attack pants (best pants I have ever owned but warm at times for archery elk) and more importantly comparable to the guide jacket in FL? same for the sown I have a super down hoodless jacket an from what I can tell FL puffies look just as warm but may be quite a bit heavier? thnx

First Lite doesn’t have a pant that can compete with the attack in my opinion. Their Guide is the closest to the kuiu attacks but are limited in their functional temperature range and run far warmer than the attacks because I feel like they don’t breathe as well. No venting of any kind and first lite refuses to acknowledge the effectiveness of vents on pants. The FL guide also didn’t really have any DWR properties and were much slower to dry for me than attacks. Guide is a very comfortable pant but is pretty limited in use for me. I don’t know much about their jackets compared to the kuiu guide but I will say the guide is the lowest performer of the kuiu jackets (look into the axis). Puffy the first lite Brooks is going to be halfway between the kuiu ultra and pro superdown jackets in warmth or about there.

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
FL base layers are best on market imo. I love em. As far as pants, I have some corrugate guide pants en route. As well as attacks. I'll let u know the difference. I don't think anything competes directly but have pants that could get job done. Basically it's corrugate guide, obsidian and catalyst pants. All have different strength.

Jacket wise. I have no Intel on puffy jackets at all. The uncompaghre seems highly regarded I'd start there and see.

MHWASH

WKR
FL sizing is not very consistent either in experience. If you want a cooler pant than the Attack for early season hunting, may I suggest the Prana Zion. You don’t need camo, just get a neutral color.

Kostrize

WKR
First Lite doesn’t have a pant that can compete with the attack in my opinion. Their Guide is the closest to the kuiu attacks but are limited in their functional temperature range and run far warmer than the attacks because I feel like they don’t breathe as well. No venting of any kind and first lite refuses to acknowledge the effectiveness of vents on pants. The FL guide also didn’t really have any DWR properties and were much slower to dry for me than attacks. Guide is a very comfortable pant but is pretty limited in use for me. I don’t know much about their jackets compared to the kuiu guide but I will say the guide is the lowest performer of the kuiu jackets (look into the axis). Puffy the first lite Brooks is going to be halfway between the kuiu ultra and pro superdown jackets in warmth or about there.

This was my exact experience with the FL guide pants. If you need a warmer weather pant than the attack, look at the Kutana or Tiburon.

OP
B
Thanks guys kind of what I expected the attacks are great pants. I too fell in love with FL base layers after using Kuiu exclusives for the last few years. Just have to mix and match. lol. I like the packability and weight of my superdown jacket hard beat but no overly warm

Jory S.

FNG
The FL base layers have treated me well. I have ran into issues with durability of their puffy and the merino pants (expected being thin wool pants though).

68Plexi

WKR
I have many pieces from both companies. I prefer First Lite’s base layers and KUIU’s outerwear. First Lite’s merino is less itchy imho. Most of KUIU’s pants offer hip vents which help. I have a pair of corrugate guide pants from First Lite and like the pocket placement and stretch, but I wear my attacks more often. The catalyst would be the closest thing to the guide as far as I know.

I sold my guide jacket and replaced it with the axis and I’m happy with it. I’ve had the 210, 145 and 125 merino from KUIU and I’m down to the 125 just for really warm hikes. Kept all my first lite base layers. However, I do like the peloton line for mid layers. Breathes well and is warms for how light it is.

First Lite definitely fits larger than KUIU, base layers included.

Both companies make excellent gear, just find what pieces work in your system and mix and match. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Just mix and match man. I wear strictly FL base layers because they are the best for sure. I wear a lot of Sitka over top of the FL.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree with everyone here. I was the opposite as you, started all FL base layers and outerwear. Now, I still wear FL base layers but Kuiu everything else. FL outerwear just doesn’t compare, functionally and especially durability wise, at least in my experience. Exception is if you are a whitetail hunter.

Davem6869

FNG
I have some Kuiu zip offs, First light base layers, FL Corrugate pants and jacket and I do have the FL puffy pants and jacket. To be honest, I would take a look at SKRE GEAR. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. Their customer service is second to none and they will ship as many times as possible to get the sizing right for you. I run their Hardscrable jacket and Kodiak Pants for weather in the teens-40's and they are great. MOST IMPORTANTLY, they stand behind their products!!! I ripped my Gators out on my first day of elk hunting and they replaced them no problem. Amazing team over there.

OP
B
Man seems like we are all kind of in he same boat. I do like the idea of the new kudu guide jacket without the hood as I love my peloton hoodie and when I run hat and the guide jacket little over kill on the hoodies. lol. I picked some obsidians to try for early elk. been using attack pants Love them for the hunt and was using tiburons for pack in. I agree with most both great companies!!

Everyone seems to have echoed exactly what I was going to say. Love the FL base layers and mid layers, but the durability and function of the Kuiu outer layers are top notch. I run a combination of both, and couldn't be happier. I just ordered a Kuiu Axis jacket and the FL Catalyst to do a side by side comparison, and although the FL is significantly quieter, the Axis is going to function a lot better for what I'm using it for. Needed something that was going to be a bit more wind/water resistant, and the Axis fits the bill.

As far as pants go, I agree with MHWASH and suggest the Prana's. Excellent pants that you can find on sale for relatively cheap fairly often.

Both companies are great. No complaints from either of them from a product standpoint, or customer service standpoint.

Vernon

FNG
I have the attack pants and then have the FL guide and obsedian. I agree the attack pant can get too warm but they are far the best and most functional pant. If I could only buy one pair of hunting pant , regardless of brand, it would be attack.

FL base layers are best on market imo. I love em. As far as pants, I have some corrugate guide pants en route. As well as attacks. I'll let u know the difference. I don't think anything competes directly but have pants that could get job done. Basically it's corrugate guide, obsidian and catalyst pants. All have different strength.

Jacket wise. I have no Intel on puffy jackets at all. The uncompaghre seems highly regarded I'd start there and see.

What your opinions on FL vs Kuiu now?

I am in the same boat. Looking to upgrade pants, own a lot of FL, love the pieces I have and have one piece I regret. The reviews on their website about pants makes me nervous. Love how the FL pants look, just a lot of talk about poor durability. And tbh, FL Fusion camo is so good. (Probably gonna get Kuiu Attacks in neutral color as suggested in this thread).