First lite Kiln vs Furnace Zip off bottoms

Deciding on new base layer bottoms and definitely want to go zip off. Debating between the first life kiln full length long Johns and the boot top furnace long Johns. I believe kiln is 250 weight and the furnace is 350 merino.

Season is late Oct Montana. Pants will be the new corrugate foundry pants. I’ve also got the umcompaghre puffies and rain pants as additional layers.

I like the fact he furnaces are boot top, but I’m worried they might be a tad warm. I feel like the kiln might be a better do all layer than can be worn hiking on cold mornings and evenings, and layer up with the puffies to glass.

Any input from those who own either?

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
I just got some Kiln and can say I love them. Haven't really put them tp the extreme warmth test yet. Around 30 degrees with a slight wind. Love them. I have found in the past that heavy weight thermals end up being too hot and not used very often. The Kiln are long and go down in the boot some but when I took them off, they came out easy. They do run large also. I wear XL in most thermals and other bottoms (6 ft 220lbs), The XL were too big and I exchanged them for Large and they are fine and plenty big.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I own the non zip full length fuse and furnace, and had the kiln full zips for a bit.

I personally didn’t like the feel of the zipper in my boot (just tried around house FWIW) so I stuck with the furnace zip offs at boot cut and the non zip fuse. I figure the fuse are light enough I won’t want to zip off and on (and comfy in boot) and the furnace I may want to take off so zipper was important.

I will say the material in the kiln is a great sweet spot. In general I am really happy with my fuse, just think they’d be perfect if a tad thicker.

like mentioned the furnace is super thick and warm. I think the newer hip vent pants could help here (kuiu and now FL).

good luck.

87TT

WKR
I own the non zip full length fuse and furnace, and had the kiln full zips for a bit.

I personally didn’t like the feel of the zipper in my boot (just tried around house FWIW) so I stuck with the furnace zip offs at boot cut and the non zip fuse. I figure the fuse are light enough I won’t want to zip off and on (and comfy in boot) and the furnace I may want to take off so zipper was important.

I will say the material in the kiln is a great sweet spot. In general I am really happy with my fuse, just think they’d be perfect if a tad thicker.

like mentioned the furnace is super thick and warm. I think the newer hip vent pants could help here (kuiu and now FL).

good luck.
I found I didn't notice the zippers at all. I did put them over my socks and in my boots. I liked that because they didn't ride up ay all. Wore them over 6-7 days turkey hunting in the hills and mountains around here.

C.payne

WKR
I live in BC and hunt in September through November. I have both the Kiln and the Furnace. My opinion is that the Kiln are the best all around for me. I only wear my Furnace if I will be sitting in a tree stand or blind. You wouldn’t want to do much activity in them.
The Kiln is great for the early mornings in September then take them off late morning. In the later seasons they are perfect to leave on all day and for sleeping. Especially if you will be using puffy pants for glassing.
I don’t think you would want to be running the furnace for any type of active hunt.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I found I didn't notice the zippers at all. I did put them over my socks and in my boots. I liked that because they didn't ride up ay all. Wore them over 6-7 days turkey hunting in the hills and mountains around here.
I’d go with his assessment. He has more walking time on them. Mine didn’t make it out of my gear room because they bothered me which is probably less objective.

The 250 weight is definitely friendlier for active hunting scenario. 350 for me is ideal for cold stationary, or real cold active.

Lowg08

WKR
I myself prefer the wick for active hunts and have the furnace to go over them for stopping and a stationary hunt.

fishslap

WKR
I just returned the kiln full length zip offs due to the zipper under the top of the boot. No way I’d want that. It was bulky and I lace up tight. They were also slightly larger than my large fuse long johns so they would need to be rolled up to keep them out of the boot and I decided to just go with the furnace boot top. One thing to note with full length zip offs is that the length is far less forgiving since you have a somewhat rigid zipper down the side that will bunch if too long. I wish they had boot top zip off kiln.

OP
B
So based on feedback from First Lite they recommended the kiln.

“If you are going to do more hiking with the base layers on, then I would go KILN ZIP OFF LONG JOHN. If you are going to put them on for when you sit down to gladd then I would go FURNACE ZIP OFF BOOT TOP. If you have any further questions please feel free to let me know.”

I have the puffy’s for glassing sits, and if it’s super cold I’ve got some poly pro bottoms to throw on under the zip off kiln’s as well.

I tried the Kilns yesterday but sent them back today. Way too tight in the waist. 32" Levis leave a fist size space from my belly if I pull them forward. I ordered the medium as recommended, but I had to stretch them tight to connect the zippers. I've never liked tight underwear of any kind.

Also, I wear 32x30 normally, and the kilns were quite long, probably 32 or more. I'm sure I could have pulled them up a bit, but the tight waist was a deal breaker.

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
Deciding on new base layer bottoms and definitely want to go zip off. Debating between the first life kiln full length long Johns and the boot top furnace long Johns. I believe kiln is 250 weight and the furnace is 350 merino.

Season is late Oct Montana. Pants will be the new corrugate foundry pants. I’ve also got the umcompaghre puffies and rain pants as additional layers.

I like the fact he furnaces are boot top, but I’m worried they might be a tad warm. I feel like the kiln might be a better do all layer than can be worn hiking on cold mornings and evenings, and layer up with the puffies to glass.

Any input from those who own either?
So what’s your final verdict? Any feedback on what you ended up with and the performance?

Tahoe1305

WKR
So what’s your final verdict? Any feedback on what you ended up with and the performance?
So you aren’t asking me but I just ran the same setup the last week of Oct in MT. Temps 18-50deg.

On the move the furnace is way to warm. It was amazing around camp and to sleep in when temps were at coldest. You could move short distances (I went about a mile in them) with the foundry vents open and it isn’t too bad.

I didn’t have the kiln but the slightly thinner fuse on most of the time. I felt they were perfect with the corrugate foundry pants. Even cooler temps I unzipped while moving and kept warm. I was good till about 25deg without puffy pants glassing. Much colder after a few hours I needed puffies.

not sure it’s worth the weight to pack the furnace and put on while glassing. Puffy pants feel a bit warmer and am nearly positive lighter and easier to pack.

really like those pants!

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
So you aren’t asking me but I just ran the same setup the last week of Oct in MT. Temps 18-50deg.

On the move the furnace is way to warm. It was amazing around camp and to sleep in when temps were at coldest. You could move short distances (I went about a mile in them) with the foundry vents open and it isn’t too bad.

I didn’t have the kiln but the slightly thinner fuse on most of the time. I felt they were perfect with the corrugate foundry pants. Even cooler temps I unzipped while moving and kept warm. I was good till about 25deg without puffy pants glassing. Much colder after a few hours I needed puffies.

not sure it’s worth the weight to pack the furnace and put on while glassing. Puffy pants feel a bit warmer and am nearly positive lighter and easier to pack.

really like those pants!
Thank you that’s the feedback I was looking for.

really like those pants!
feedback I needed 🤟🏼

OP
B
Kiln’s we’re appropriate. Same temps the other gentleman dealt with in Montana late October, also worn with the corrugate foundry pants. Love the foundry pants. Honestly didn’t even need the long johns during the middle of the day most days, and only put on my puffy pants once.

My only complaint with the kilns was the zipper being at the bottom. I’d much rather have it at the top so I could vent while walking.

Furnace’s would’ve been too warm IMO.

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
Kiln’s we’re appropriate. Same temps the other gentleman dealt with in Montana late October, also worn with the corrugate foundry pants. Love the foundry pants. Honestly didn’t even need the long johns during the middle of the day most days, and only put on my puffy pants once.

My only complaint with the kilns was the zipper being at the bottom. I’d much rather have it at the top so I could vent while walking.

Furnace’s would’ve been too warm IMO.
Is the zipper inside the boot annoying? Or do you unzip to the top of the boot?