First lite Klamath vs Sitka core HW

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Hey y’all, these seem to be two very popular/comparable fleece hoodies, and I happen to have both. I figured I’d make a quick review/comparison for folks trying to decide between them.

Im 5’6”, and a fairly athletic 175ish right now. I have both pieces in medium. Both fit me well. The biggest difference I found in size was sleeve length-Klamath probably has a good 2+ inches over the core hw. It is long for me, but the sleeves don’t really bunch up or cause any issue. The core hw does seem to be cut a little tighter (and I actually prefer the Klamath for a slightly less restrictive feel).

Both hoods are good, with a similar cut. The core hw hood is the same material as the body, whereas the Klamath hood has a mesh liner to it. The core hw is definitely more streamlined here-the Klamath hood is kinda two separate layers. They don’t really separate or get annoying, but the hood is noticeably thicker. When pulled up and not fully zipped, I find the Klamath has less noticeable flaps/wings than the core hw. I prefer this for archery.
*both may be irritating/a minor handicap to hearing. I think the Sitka apex hood is the best for (almost) unobstructed hearing that I’ve tried.

material wise, the Klamath feels ever so slightly thicker. I think the grids are slightly smaller in the Klamath. Initial use has me leaning towards the Klamath as being slightly warmer, and takes a bit more of an edge off the wind. Huge plus for me, since I run cold.

the core hw chest pocket may have a slight edge, since the zipper has some “reinforcement” that makes it a bit easier to open one handed.

durability is hard to compare-I’ve only had the Klamath for a week or so. My old core hw saw near daily use for over a year when I was working on a ranch; often as an outer layer. For the abuse it went through, I was quite pleased with how well it held up (don’t weld in fleece!)

finally, and this could be a determining factor for some, the Klamath is made in China, whereas the core hw is made in El Salvador.

Im leaning towards the Klamath. I think it’s slightly warmer, prefer the hood/lack of flaps, and find the fit to be a little better (personal preference) vs the core hw. Hopefully this is useful to folks trying to choose one over the other. Can follow up with some pics of both pieces as well.

Lowg08

WKR
I have also had both and now only have Klamaths. I had tried heavy weight and Klamath and kuiu strong fleece. Just prefer the Klamath I have two. One camo one solid. Good post.

Jbxl20

WKR
Nice review. I’m a big fan of hunting in hoodies. Do either of you know the difference between the fanatic hoody and core heavyweight hoody? I have a fanatic and a kuiu 260. I also had a Klamath and liked it but it was just too big for me. I haven’t gotten my hands on sitkas core heavyweight yet.

Lowg08

WKR
The fanatic had the face mask and flip gloves is all I could figure. I had one but not a fan of rhe built in face mask

I have also had both and now only have Klamaths. I had tried heavy weight and Klamath and kuiu strong fleece. Just prefer the Klamath I have two. One camo one solid. Good post.
Hey,

Just curious, how is the Klamath underneath a puffy or hard shell if you’ve tried it before. Also, how is the ability to layer under the Klamath for colder hunts?

Thanks in advance,

- WJ

OP
N

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I freakin love it under a puffy or vest. Layers very well for me. As far as layering under a Klamath, that really is gonna depend on how it fits you. The way mine fits, I could run a thick base layer, or possibly a couple shirts without feeling like a sausage casing

Oh Sweet! I think I have the same build as you but I’m 5’10 and I got a medium in the UnCompadre for my puffy. I’m a bit worried that if I get a medium in the Klamath that I won’t have a lot of movement if I put something underneath the Klamath and then the puffy. Or if I should just bit the bullet and stay with the Kiln that I have and stick it out for now. I love the design of the Klamath a lot and seems like an awesome sweater all around.

- WJ

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
I myself use basically the similar set up.
fuse or kiln under the Klamath, brooks down over that and either Sitka dew point jacket or corrugate guide jacket over that.
I change it up a bit if I go to my chamberlain jacket. I’ll put the guide jacket under the chamberlain over the Klamath and base.

Jbxl20

WKR
I’m 5’9” 165 and the large Klamath was way too big on me. I usually wear medium in all other first lite tops.
I’m using the kuiu 260 now with a kuiu 240 over top. both size large

Lowg08

WKR
The arms on the kuiu jackets and hoodies are too short for me a too tight in the forearm.

OP
N

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Oh Sweet! I think I have the same build as you but I’m 5’10 and I got a medium in the UnCompadre for my puffy. I’m a bit worried that if I get a medium in the Klamath that I won’t have a lot of movement if I put something underneath the Klamath and then the puffy. Or if I should just bit the bullet and stay with the Kiln that I have and stick it out for now. I love the design of the Klamath a lot and seems like an awesome sweater all around.

- WJ
I wear a small uncomphagre-depending on your build I’d say a medium would work without being overly constructive. If you have a bigger chest/torso, I’d suggest going to a large for more room underneath…could buy both and return whichever you don’t like. Downside to not having a store where you can try stuff on. Although, I do think the Klamath is on sale right now, so it’s a good time to try