First Lite layering system

Shenzi

FNG
Hello All -

Looking for thoughts and feedback on first lite and building a layering system. Looking to hunt the high country for the first time and have never used a layering system.

Read about about moreno wool and using that as solid base/mid layer. What does your layering system look like? How many layers and what weights for the elevation you hunt? S

I hate being cold so am looking to layer up at 10k feet, but I also don't want to sacrifice a ton of mobility to do it.

Any thoughts and feedback is appreciated.

Regards,

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Each of their merino bases has a pretty good description of what to expect out of it.
Wick is lightest.
Then kiln.
Then furnace.
The Klamath is a fleece between kiln and furnace, but it's not merino.
I wear the wick when it's hot, the kiln or furnace when its cold. Under a good shell, they're excellent pieces.

OP
S

Shenzi

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to make a decision on what to buy while first lite is having their 30% off sale.

Have you ever worn the multiple of these layers, for example, the kiln with the furnace over the top with a outside layer? Curious about mobility..

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
The wick and kiln are fantastic base layers and I always have one of them on depending on the weather. I live in my Klamath once it gets cool enough to wear one. Their cuff merino beanie is my favorite hat also. Those are easily my top First Lite pieces. You basically can’t go wrong with anything of theirs merino wool (and the Klamath).

I do think their outer layers are their weak link so I’d suggest looking elsewhere for those.

Dirtbag

WKR
I would recommend only using FL's merino as your next to skin layer. In my experience it is not very durable when exposed to brush, backpack straps, or really anything that might compromise the fine wool. I had merino next to skin and mid-layers and my mid layers didn't last two seasons.

Bearsears

WKR
I would recommend only using FL's merino as your next to skin layer. In my experience it is not very durable when exposed to brush, backpack straps, or really anything that might compromise the fine wool. I had merino next to skin and mid-layers and my mid layers didn't last two seasons.
This.

Ill add my 2 cents also. I wear the wick t for early bow season next to skin which is awesome. In my experience anything thicker than a 150 weight just takes too long to dry and makes me feel clammy. Especially if its under other layers.

After the temps start dropping I switch to a synthetic base layer like the Sitka core lightweight. For me Im warmer in cold weather when my base is either dry or dries really fast.

I have a Klamath hoody as a mid layer and I love it. Super soft, comfortable. reasonably duarable and dries really fast. The Uncle Padre has also worked well for me for 3 years. Love the corrugate guide pants for anything but really cold temps. The Uncle Padre pants are nice and warm but tare way to easily.

All that being said Ive started switching some pieces to Sitka. As mentioned above FL's Outerwear sometimes leaves something to be desired

You said you are going to 10k feet but you didnt say what season. Different seasons would dictate different choices based on expected temps.

OP
S

Shenzi

FNG
Appreciate the feedback Bearsears. Drew an elk tag and will be hunting muleys at the same time. Lookin like mid October hunt.

I've picked out a few glassing points that give a good vantage point and elevation range from 8k to 10k. Will be sitting high and planning a spot and stalk from there.

OP
S

Shenzi

FNG
The wick and kiln are fantastic base layers and I always have one of them on depending on the weather. I live in my Klamath once it gets cool enough to wear one. Their cuff merino beanie is my favorite hat also. Those are easily my top First Lite pieces. You basically can’t go wrong with anything of theirs merino wool (and the Klamath).

I do think their outer layers are their weak link so I’d suggest looking elsewhere for those.
Thanks Nillion. I wasn't aware that the outer layers were less than to be desired. Seems to be the common theme from this group. I'll look to get those out of my cart and spend my money on outers that I'll be happier with.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to go wrong with the merino base layers and the klamath, I have limited experience with thier outerwear but am giving a few pieces a try, biggest thing with outerwear is no wind blocking, but give the base layers a try I've had great luck with them

Bearsears

WKR
For that time of year if I were going with only Firstlite my main pieces base to outer would be:
Uppers:
Wick long-sleeved or hoodie
Klamath hoody
Uncompghere or brooks down puffy
Vapor rain jacket or if you want more durability the seak stormtight

Bottoms:
Wick boxers
The lighter zip off bottoms
Corrugate guide pants
Uncompghere puffy pants
Boundary stormtight pants

Like mentioned above Firstlite is really lacking in wind blocking and im a proponent of having a dedicated lightweight windblocking layer (especiallyif your plan is to glass at high elevation in October). Its been a game changer for me. Im running a Sitka flash pullover but there are a ton of options from several non hunting brands.

Hats beanies and gloves I think you can find cheaper and better quality elsewhere. Example: orange minus 33 wool beanie, OR down mittens, sealskin gloves. Etc. In fact the "cheap stuff that works" thread has alot of these type of options in it.

OP
S

Shenzi

FNG
For that time of year if I were going with only Firstlite my main pieces base to outer would be:
Uppers:
Wick long-sleeved or hoodie
Klamath hoody
Uncompghere or brooks down puffy
Vapor rain jacket or if you want more durability the seak stormtight

Bottoms:
Wick boxers
The lighter zip off bottoms
Corrugate guide pants
Uncompghere puffy pants
Boundary stormtight pants

Like mentioned above Firstlite is really lacking in wind blocking and im a proponent of having a dedicated lightweight windblocking layer (especiallyif your plan is to glass at high elevation in October). Its been a game changer for me. Im running a Sitka flash pullover but there are a ton of options from several non hunting brands.

Hats beanies and gloves I think you can find cheaper and better quality elsewhere. Example: orange minus 33 wool beanie, OR down mittens, sealskin gloves. Etc. In fact the "cheap stuff that works" thread has alot of these type of options in it.
Great feedback, bearsears. Appreciate everyone chiming in with their experiences with FL. Today's the final day of the sale. I'll circle back with what makes the cut in my cart.

Appreciate the reference to the other thread. I'm new here at rokslide so getting pointed to another valuable thread is much appreciated.

OP
S

Shenzi

FNG
From first lite I’ve had several short sleeve base layers, long sleeve base layers, boxers, and long Johns. Had their soft shell, unspellable puffy, a couple Kanab 2.0 pants and their merino beanie (maybe some other stuff?).

I really like the beanie and it rides in a pack or on my head for the season. I also like the Kanabs, but they are not very durable and mine have many holes and rips.

Their base layers suck. Smart wool and black Ovis house brands are much better. I’m also not a fan of their soft shell or puffy. General outdoor brands (Patagonia, ArcTeryx, Outdoor Research, etc) have much better options.

I might give their obsidian or foundry pants a try though
Thanks 406. With the synthetics, do you notice a big difference in human odor? I've read a bit and the common theme is that they lack in containing scent. I have no experience with them but was concerned from that aspect.

j33

WKR
Just checked, and Camofire has BO merino on sale today.

What makes BO Merino better than First Lite other than price? Durability?

Considering a First Lite shirt to compare vs my Kuiu Merino shirt so actually interested. My Kiln hoody is comfier than my Kuiu, but honestly I don't notice it unless I think about it. Ordering a few minor First Lite stuff for an order so was gonna toss the shirt on there.

i 100% agree with this. First lite for base layers. Look else were for outer wear

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I run the aerowool hoodie solo when it’s hot. Once temps drop I’ll run either a down vest or down long sleeve on top of the aero wool then pull the Klamath hoodie over the top. This keeps my down layers quiet, protects them from snagging and I don’t have to spend the money on another piece of camo as I already have a bunch of cold weather bc ski gear. If it’s windy I’ll add a shell under the Klamath

kbraune

FNG
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the furnace? I really dig the henley and I think it would be great for waterfowl but I run pretty warm and already have the Klamath which is my all time favorite piece.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the furnace? I really dig the henley and I think it would be great for waterfowl but I run pretty warm and already have the Klamath which is my all time favorite piece.

Love the furnace. It's such a nice shirt for cold stationary hunts. I wear it alot just in general because it's so comfortable. It's a touch heavy for an active hunt but I had the QZ so it opened up to dump heat as needed.

Lowg08

WKR
I had a furnace set and it was just not for me. I stuck with my Klamath and a 260 strong fleece. I have grown to prefer a fleece in the position the furnace would be (midlayer )

Lowg08

WKR
I have pretty solid layering system in my opinion. Depends on temp
Fuse/kiln
Klamath/260 strong fleece
Brooks down
Corrugate jacket
Or
Corrugate jacket under a chamberlain.
can also layer brooks under chamberlain
Dew point jacket

bottoms
Wick/145 kuiu
Helio
Corrugate foundry/obsidian foundry
Uncompahgre pants
Or
UA alpine ops down pants

can also layer uncompahgre under ops
Dew point pants.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve tried a lot of merino, and have a FL wick hoody from when they redid all of their base layers, so going on 3 years. I wear it A LOT and have been very impressed with the durability, fit and performance. I think the FL wool is a step above the rest of what’s out there.

Agree with others on fit - theirs just really sucked a few years back. Seems like First Lite really got that figured out here lately though.